What do you regret?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:14 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Not buying that GC coupe for $128 off the girl when I worked at SpeeDee..... Spoolin415 knows who I'm talking about......
Old 04-20-2014, 02:15 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
Lol bunny rabbit candy yes!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Gc8ninja, still the best post. No RAGRETS
Still the winner.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru Forester XT Sport
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's basically where I'm coming from.

I mean no disrespect to Lex. He's clearly done well for himself and has some solid family values.

It's just my definition of regret is a big more extreme I guess.
I'd say your definition is aligned with most others, but the spectrum of what might merit regret is a bit broader than others. Nothing wrong with that at all. It just means your cautious calculated with the decisions you make. You measure and weigh risk. My husband does that also. Sometimes it can get him too worked up, but I'm there to help balance that out.

Originally Posted by subysteez
Bought my fxt with a brand new headgasket. Months later the banjo bolt clogged and took the turbo and engine. I regret not doing my homework.
OUCH. I'd cry. What did you end up doing?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Queen Jade
I'd say your definition is aligned with most others, but the spectrum of what might merit regret is a bit broader than others. Nothing wrong with that at all. It just means your cautious calculated with the decisions you make. You measure and weigh risk. My husband does that also. Sometimes it can get him too worked up, but I'm there to help balance that out.

LOL! you nailed that on the head and my wife does the same for me.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex

I was devastated. Since I'd recently bought the car, I had almost no money. I ended up having the engine rebuilt OEM since upgrades would have cost even more. Now I'm stuck with OE internals even though I eventually want to go beyond the vf and supporting mods.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I was devastated. Since I'd recently bought the car, I had almost no money. I ended up having the engine rebuilt OEM since upgrades would have cost even more. Now I'm stuck with OE internals even though I eventually want to go beyond the vf and supporting mods.
I checked mine out pretty well and still had one thing go wrong - rear wheel bearing went out. Probably wouldn't have been able to spot that though, because it wasn't really bad when I picked it up. I took it to THREE different shops and none of them noticed it until it was too late - seized onto the axle and I had only had it ~3 months. So I replaced nearly everything but the diff on the rear end. Fortunately, I got a drivetrain warranty from the bank when I bought it and it covered some of it and a rental car for 10 days while the shop waited for a few special order parts. Total bill was just north of $5K. It was still a big chunk of change out of my pocket for items not covered.

Cars = money pit.

Last edited by 04GG; 04-21-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm coming out of something like that now. Due to the condition of the car, I've had to do the following to ensure its survival and make sure that I won't have problems in the future.

04 STI short block
CP forged pistons/rings
ACL race bearings
Tomei head gaskets
shaved crank
new fuel pump
VF43 turbo
new oil pump
new water pump/timing kit
OBX turbo inlet

Thats what I've been up to for the last 3 weeks. The fuel pump and inlet arrive today, the turbo arrives on Wednesday. The motor is being dropped back in this weekend and hopefully running no later than Sunday. I've been nearly a month without it, but fortunate to have another car to drive. I cashed in two weeks paid vacation with my company to fund this in addition to having good parts to sell. I've only a week paid time off left for an entire year now and it will probably just be used to stay home in the event one of my kids get sick. I might regret it and I will likely become super burned out from not taking any time off, but the weight of the regret hopefully won't outweigh the benefit of NOT having to deal with issues anymore. It should be bulletproof after this. Next year, I will replace the clutch and have it pro tuned to really realize her.

I will revisit this thread in about 6-8 months and tell if you cashing 2/3 of my vacation was worth it, or if I regret it.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I'm coming out of something like that now. Due to the condition of the car, I've had to do the following to ensure its survival and make sure that I won't have problems in the future.

04 STI short block
CP forged pistons/rings
ACL race bearings
Tomei head gaskets
shaved crank
new fuel pump
VF43 turbo
new oil pump
new water pump/timing kit
OBX turbo inlet

Thats what I've been up to for the last 3 weeks. The fuel pump and inlet arrive today, the turbo arrives on Wednesday. The motor is being dropped back in this weekend and hopefully running no later than Sunday. I've been nearly a month without it, but fortunate to have another car to drive. I cashed in two weeks paid vacation with my company to fund this in addition to having good parts to sell. I've only a week paid time off left for an entire year now and it will probably just be used to stay home in the event one of my kids get sick. I might regret it and I will likely become super burned out from not taking any time off, but the weight of the regret hopefully won't outweigh the benefit of NOT having to deal with issues anymore. It should be bulletproof after this. Next year, I will replace the clutch and have it pro tuned to really realize her.

I will revisit this thread in about 6-8 months and tell if you cashing 2/3 of my vacation was worth it, or if I regret it.
Man, I'd have just done the clutch if the motor was out of the car.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Man, I'd have just done the clutch if the motor was out of the car.
Ran out of $. Otherwise I would have. I might regret that later too, but I think I can wait just a year. The clutch that it has is pretty new still...the guy replaced it with an Exedy OEM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Car Info: a blue car.
Hmm regrets...not being mature and highly understanding enough in times of need for certain past...events. But forward we go! No past, no present.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I regret actually being nice enough to stop every time my ex-gf said it hurt.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I regret actually being nice enough to stop every time my ex-gf said it hurt.

She means because its small boney and pointy. Like a skeletons pinky.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
She means because its small boney and pointy. Like a skeletons pinky.

We were both pretty skeletal though. A model couple in more ways than one.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Being in Canada when my dad died.

Quick Reply: What do you regret?