What do you regret?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:25 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Agreed I know Ray didn't mean me specifically, but he included me by defualt with his statement and I felt strongly enough to rebuttle and use myself as an example.

As I said, may be it is just semantics, but I find "making a lot of mistake" and "making a lot of regrets" as completely different mentalities. Devil is in the details as it is the little things that kill you.
You getting upset and defensive is a bigger waste of energy than feeling regret, evaluating, learning and moving on.

Definition of regret:
re·gret [ri-gret] Show IPA
verb (used with object), re·gret·ted, re·gret·ting.
1. to feel sorrow or remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.)

2. to think of with a sense of loss

3. a sense of loss, disappointment, dissatisfaction, etc.

4. a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment, etc.

5. regrets, a polite, usually formal refusal of an invitation

6. a note expressing regret at one's inability to accept an invitation
Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Gc8ninja, still the best post. No RAGRETS

Last edited by Scoobywax; 04-18-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 PM

What do you regret?-forumrunner_20140418_172907.jpg
Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM
General Pimpin'

I beg to differ. I can easily say it makes me laugh when people list out would/could/should have things and waste energy on living in the past...but I won't, because that's my personal opinion and to each his own.
Figure I'll address your post since I hit a nerve.

Laugh was not literal. I don't sit around going... LOL... oh man that dude hasn't done **** in his life. Why? Because that's insanely stupid.

In reality my opinion is that if you don't feel regret you're either a sociopath or someone that hasn't had to make tough choices and suffer the consequences. That's my opinion. Just like you think would/could/should is a waste of energy. I actually agree. It's pointless. It's fun to talk about in conversation but if it controls any part of your life it's a waste.

I'm not talking about dwelling and I'm not talking about woulda coulda.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and every person makes choices that are imperfect. IMHO Learning and moving on to greater things is what counts more. This might seem like semantics…but my state of mind will not allow me to say “Maaan, I regret crashing my WRX, I wish I still had it ‘cause it was such a sweeeeeat car.” Regretting the past accomplishes nothing because that happened for a reason and I simply got what was coming to me. Instead I say that I f*cked up and set a new goal to increase my driving skill and build better balanced cars as to avoid repeating the past.
How can you learn from a mistake if you don't feel regret for making that mistake? Regret is part of the evaluation and growth process. No regret... no learning.

i.e. Drunk wrecks his car. Says... that sucks. Moves on. No regret. No remorse for wrong doing. No realization that they did something wrong. 2 years later they wreck again... only this time they kill someone.

Now had that person said... man... that was stupid. I'm really sorry I did that. That was a terrible mistake. The feel the regret. Deal with it. Learn. Move on. Next time they get drunk they call a taxi.

And life haven't lived? That’s a crappy assumption, dude. I guess then having lived on multiple continents, graduating with a double bachelors at the top on my class, working my way to comfortable financial standing, visiting or worked in every state in this country, and supporting my parents 100% in their old edge (along many other things) do not count as "haven't lived yet" in your book.

Can’t we just agree that everyone has a different life philosophy that makes them sleep at night?
Traveling, graduating, etc. That has nothing to do with regret or any part of this discussion. Neither does helping your folks. It just means that you were raised to have the right priorities and have done well with yourself Be proud.

Now what if those opportunities were put in front of you and you made the wrong choices. Didn't do those things. Got to a point and looked back and went... damn I ****ed up. That's regret. At the end of your life that regret is kind of pointless. But say you're 25 and you realize... man I ****ed up. Feel the regret... start making different decisions. Feel the regret when you're 25... hell of a lot better than when you're 75 and alone.

We can agree to have a different definitely of regret.

I suppose I should know better than to go deeper than the surface on i-club. I guess I should have said....

No regrets... YOLO!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:54 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Queen Jade
Sometimes people need regret in order to grow in the right direction. Think of regrets like wrenching; if you don't break something, how do you expect to learn from it? You can't let your cup be too full or be too sure of yourself and your decisions all the time. I believe it keeps a person humble and always learning to be open to a little doubt and a little regret now and then. Should one dwell on whats done and mull over and over how things could have been different? I wouldn't advise it. But remembering that you f***ed up that one time will certainly grant you the foresight not to do it again.

That's basically where I'm coming from.

I mean no disrespect to Lex. He's clearly done well for himself and has some solid family values.

It's just my definition of regret is a big more extreme I guess.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
You getting upset and defensive is a bigger waste of energy than feeling regret, evaluating, learning and moving on.

Definition of regret:
re·gret [ri-gret] Show IPA
verb (used with object), re·gret·ted, re·gret·ting.
1. to feel sorrow or remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.)

2. to think of with a sense of loss

3. a sense of loss, disappointment, dissatisfaction, etc.

4. a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment, etc.

5. regrets, a polite, usually formal refusal of an invitation

6. a note expressing regret at one's inability to accept an invitation
I spent just as much energy eleborating on my point of view and you did on yours And feeling strongly about an issue doesn't automatically make me upset. I also wasn't the one that laughed/ripped into a different point of view...Anyhow, like I said, whatever makes people sleep at night

Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM
General Pimpin'

You apparently didn't spend much time reading what I said. I sleep like a freaking rock fyi.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I suppose I should know better than to go deeper than the surface on i-club. I guess I should have said....

No regrets... YOLO!
Yup. Look at my post.. Hahaha.. I actually really enjoy talking about things like this, but i-club is not the forum. Er.. I mean. Well. Yeah.

Anyway, I see both you guys saying a very similar thing, from a different perspective, each of which took real work and dramatic events to achieve. One of you has a more efficient methodology of classifying events and the reasoning for such, while the other prefers to spend some time analyzing the events, but you both come to the same conclusions.

Both of you have "been through some stuff" that has helped create who you are today. These events are deeply personal but may not be specifically meaningful to each-other beyond the concept of empathy. You guys should have a beer. Maybe you can create a new drink altogether (e.g., Moscow Car Bomb: glass of crappy vodka with shot of Baltika dropped in)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Not being smart enough to know that girls liked me in high school. I could have plowed some seriously fertile ground and I not been so oblivious.

Buying a house in 2005.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Queen Jade
Buying the Forester, sight unseen. I've been fortunate that I've had the resources and knowledge to make the best of a bad situation, but DAMN. This car was a wreck when I got it and I paid $18k for it. Thats a tough pill to swallow, only to be stuck making such costly repairs to a four year old car.
Bought my fxt with a brand new headgasket. Months later the banjo bolt clogged and took the turbo and engine. I regret not doing my homework.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
Not knowing whether to celebrate Easter Sunday or 420 weed day.. lol jk
Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by hey1230000
Not knowing whether to celebrate Easter Sunday or 420 weed day.. lol jk
Lol both duh!

You need easter candy after 420 for sure.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 00 RS Coupe
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Gc8ninja, still the best post. No RAGRETS
Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 PM

saw a beautiful french blue elan coupe for 18k asking that went immediately. Wish I would have had the ***** as It could have easily been flipped for 35-40
Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
I nearly bought a Mitsubishi Starion 2.6ex...was beautiful inside and out

Quick Reply: What do you regret?