Warning - New Uber Rider Restrictions - Potential to Lose Access!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:55 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Angry Warning - New Uber Rider Restrictions - Potential to Lose Access!

I figured I post this for people that rely on Uber to get around and might not be familiar with their recent change of terms. I have found out the hard way this weekend…

In a nutshell, effective last week, Uber instituted new rider rules on top of existing driver ones. This is great in principal, but in practice seem open to interpretation and abuse based on drivers' biases and prejudices.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/08/ub...in-new-policy/

https://www.uber.com/legal/community-guidelines/us-en/

Let’s look at some of these finely crafted pinnacles of English narratives…

Physical contact with the driver or fellow riders. As our community guidelines make clear, you shouldn’t touch or flirt with other people in the car. As a reminder, Uber has a no sex rule. That’s no sexual conduct with drivers or fellow riders, no matter what. And you should never hit or otherwise hurt a driver or fellow passenger.
Please note statement’s vagueness and lack of color regarding potential existing relationships, which I found out returning after a night out with my girl. Our driver insisted I limit interactions with my own girlfriend during a 45 minute ride in LA traffic (as well as asking inappropriate relationship questions). Needless to say there were strong words exchanged during the ride.

Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms in a vehicle while using our app. You can learn more about our firearms prohibition policy here. [1] If you violate Uber’s firearms prohibition policy, you may lose access to Uber.
Again, please note the blanket level policy without of any additional guidance or definitions. Good to know I now really cannot protect myself when getting into an un-insured vehicle with an un-bonded un-insured driver who has not passed any sort of a meaningful vetting or background checks.

Coworker had a driver refuse a ride from an airport after observing his multiple (obviously TSA legal) hunting firearms cases that he brought along for his vacation. That said, considering the uber liberal nature of the location, there is a strong chance this could have happened regardless…but still something to be aware off.

Lastly, throwing up inside the vehicles is forbidden and drivers can apparently refuses riders that appear at risk of doing so. Interestingly, I could not find this policy in writing on Uber’s page, but a number of articles commented to this policy’s existence. I guess one should also be careful relying on Uber when getting home after drinking or on the way to a hospital. This has been an issue with regular cabs for a long time, so no surprised there.

In conclusion…Dear Uber, there is nothing wrong with having rules and regulations to define common sense items (which are often not common practice) but they have to be clear, concise and specific enough to avoid blatant misinterpretation and abuse (aka uniform application trainings)…oh yeah, and also NOT polled from and written by your drivers in 6th grade English language. But, oh wait, that would probably look like an “employee-employer” relationships versus a “community sharing” one.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 12-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:29 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
So, you got banned from Uber for mackin' on your girl?

I would hope that for something that is so open to interpretation, there would be some kind of arbitration going on as well. This all falls into a he says, she says situation unless the driver is running video the whole time.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
No ******** or guns? Seems fair

Yuri....Keep your snake in it's cage until you get somewhere private and leave the AK-47 at home you crazy Russki
Old 12-13-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
So, you got banned from Uber for mackin' on your girl?

I would hope that for something that is so open to interpretation, there would be some kind of arbitration going on as well. This all falls into a he says, she says situation unless the driver is running video the whole time.
Banned? No. Not yet It is too early to tell how all of this will play out, but eventually precedence will need to be established one way or another. I have not had a chance to research comparable taxi cab and limo/car service rules (if any).

Originally Posted by glenspen
No ******** or guns? Seems fair

Yuri....Keep your snake in it's cage until you get somewhere private and leave the AK-47 at home you crazy Russki
Can we at least do reach arounds and Makarovs?!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:57 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
So, how are they going to know you are carrying if you don't tell them? The key to good carry is to not brag about it, not expose your firearm, and just be natural about it. No one but you should know it's there.

Get yourself a nice IWB, something small and compact (the 1903 hammerless is great for IWB) and become comfortable with it.

The no touching others rule is way vauge, I foresee a few lawsuits when some driver pulls the "you can't touch" and someone and their husband throw the "Uber is discriminating" in federal court. It won't go well for Uber.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:40 PM

^^^ Oh I completely agree.

And forget husband/wife scenario; what about a simple hook up after a bar scenario? Vehicle for hire operator's job is to drive and get to the destination as fast as possible, not be a moral code hall pass enforcer.

Don't get me wrong, I do not condone seriously egregious, illegal or harmful behavior, but everything else is just an occupational hazard of different behaviors and personalities. Deal with it. Plus I cannot just fat tip the driver to make them ignore the back seat
Old 12-13-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr

And forget husband/wife scenario; what about a simple hook up after a bar scenario? Vehicle for hire operator's job is to drive and get to the destination as fast as possible, not be a moral code hall pass enforcer.

Don't get me wrong, I do not condone seriously egregious, illegal or harmful behavior, but everything else is just an occupational hazard of different behaviors and personalities. Deal with it. Plus I cannot just fat tip the driver to make them ignore the back seat
Use Lyft, it is better anyways.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

The driver doesn't need to be cleaning jizz off his back seat because some horny bastards can't control their base instincts....poor driver is trying to run a business...keep it zipped up!
Old 12-14-2016, 11:55 AM

The driver doesn't need to be cleaning jizz off his back seat because some horny bastards can't control their base instincts....poor driver is trying to run a business...keep it zipped up!
How do you know I don't include that in the list of egregious behaviors? I was facetious with the last statement, but I still stand by the earlier one that drivers should stick to driving and leave behavioral analysis to someone else.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

How do you know I don't include that in the list of egregious behaviors? I was facetious with the last statement, but I still stand by the earlier one that drivers should stick to driving and leave behavioral analysis to someone else.
Just stick to masturbating on BART....nobody cares on there
Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Overbear
The 1903 hammerless is great for IWB.
Any other recommendations on CCW pistols? something more modern?
Old 12-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Just stick to masturbating on BART....nobody cares on there
That's why I always get car service or a friend to pick me up

The short answer is probably whatever you feel comfortable with and can practically conceal. There is a metric crap top of compact/subcompact choices on the market. It will also depend on the carry style; shoulder, inside or outside waistband, ankle, etc.

That said, Glock 19/26 is probably beating the dead horse staple recommendation. Ruger LC9 would probably be another common mention. I prefer Smith M&P Shield Compact .40.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 12-14-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:30 PM

The short answer is probably whatever you feel comfortable with and can practically conceal. There is a metric crap top of compact/subcompact choices on the market. It will also depend on the carry style; shoulder, inside or outside waistband, ankle, etc.

Glock 19/26 is probably beating the dead horse staple recommendation. Ruger LC9 would probably be another common mention. I prefer Smith M&P Shield Compact .40.
This ^^^, but I would never carry a Glock for more reasons than I want to get into here, however I will never trust one, EVER. The Ruger has issues but is a good gun, and the Smith is a bit overpriced for what you get.

I carry the 1903 because it is a thin single stack and very light, yet .32acp has plenty of knock down. I also have a Khar PM9 and I love it. One of the few sub compacts that fit my large hand.
I also tend to be a wheel gun guy, and carry a Detective in .357 (however I tend to load .38+p as, really, .357 is just overkill)

Remember you don't need 15 shots and 900000000 pounds of force. Most defense shots happen inside of 7 feet and tend to be 1-3 rounds fired. I don't care what kind of bad *** you are, you get hit with even a .22 in the chest, you ARE going down.

About the only round I wouldn't carry is the .25acp.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Physical contact with the driver or fellow riders. As our community guidelines make clear, you shouldn’t touch or flirt with other people in the car. As a reminder, Uber has a no sex rule. That’s no sexual conduct with drivers or fellow riders, no matter what. And you should never hit or otherwise hurt a driver or fellow passenger.
So basically there's a NPH, Harold & Kumar Clause now?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:50 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
If Uber drivers are contractors (as Uber claims in court), Uber can't stop them from legally carrying firearms on the job.

Quick Reply: Warning - New Uber Rider Restrictions - Potential to Lose Access!