Upcoming Smog, concerned about injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Well the new smog machine requires a dedicated dsl or faster connection so I'm guessing it'll be very detailed as far as what info gets transmitted. I'd fully expect them to check your stock maps a couple years down the line. For now all they'll say is they check the VIN off your computer with the readiness monitors and MIL status.
In which case having an older car and doing the sniffer would be advantageous.

Unlucky for me I have a 02 WRX engine now, and it's going to likely get smogged with that in mind. Having 1000cc injectors, there is no way they'd scale well on the stock 02 WRX ECU (of which, I have a spare).

Unless they make me smog like a 99 RS, then swapped cars would really, really go through the roof in value
Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
In which case having an older car and doing the sniffer would be advantageous.

Unlucky for me I have a 02 WRX engine now, and it's going to likely get smogged with that in mind. Having 1000cc injectors, there is no way they'd scale well on the stock 02 WRX ECU (of which, I have a spare).

Unless they make me smog like a 99 RS, then swapped cars would really, really go through the roof in value
You could just reflash the stock rom every time you go and do the smog. The only problem could be running the readiness monitors on cars with air pumps and cars with codes turned off via romraider.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX WRB Wagon
Thanks for the input guys, I am much less worried now.

Another thing I just remembered was that I deleted the air-pump system a while back. I just disabled the CEL codes for it. Can the Smog center detect when the codes are disabled?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
i passed with 1000cc injectors in my car with stock downpipe. u should be okay.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
All you have to do is swap out the downpipe and any "visible" things, and it will pass fine.

Or, if you can wait 30 days more, the new smog system will be online 100% across the state, no more tailpipe checks 01 and newer, just visual and a ECU check to look for codes.
Are you talking about AB-2289 that was supposed to be implemented January of last year? I'm curious where you heard/read it will be 100% within the next 30 days, since I haven't seen any changes in smog stations, especially since I needed a smog check a month ago.

And not to detract from the thread: for the air-pump, what I've heard is (since my '02 didn't come with one), it's up to the tech, since it's more of a visual thing. From what I understand, the OBD-II reader only looks for DTC codes that are "on" and since they're disabled, the reader will not pick them up. I know I have codes turned off because of my DP and TGV deletes, and I passed with no issues.

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 07-21-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
You could just reflash the stock rom every time you go and do the smog. The only problem could be running the readiness monitors on cars with air pumps and cars with codes turned off via romraider.
Originally Posted by chochocho
i passed with 1000cc injectors in my car with stock downpipe. u should be okay.
Are you guys saying that stock ECU with 1000cc injectors would run fine? I guess I just wouldn't expect the ECU to be able to control the injectors well, but if it can, i'd totally swap the ECU out a few weeks before I go, and get the monitors back up and running well.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 PM

Are you guys saying that stock ECU with 1000cc injectors would run fine? I guess I just wouldn't expect the ECU to be able to control the injectors well, but if it can, i'd totally swap the ECU out a few weeks before I go, and get the monitors back up and running well.
Oh not a chance. Didn't really think about that. That method would only work for people with stage 2/2.5. Anything after that I would think you're f'd if they start to compare roms.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
for the air-pump, what I've heard is (since my '02 didn't come with one), it's up to the tech, since it's more of a visual thing. From what I understand, the OBD-II reader only looks for DTC codes that are "on" and since they're disabled, the reader will not pick them up. I know I have codes turned off because of my DP and TGV deletes, and I passed with no issues.
I still have the pump, so I was going bolt it back in, and make it look installed, without actually being functional. I'll just drive around some and let he egnine warm up before I take it too the shop.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
good point....i have an aftermarket ecu and my car is pre OBDII so they don't plug anything into the obdII port.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX
Is that 30 days (end of August?) word-of-mouth, or verified via CARB/DMV/etc.?
3 different smog shops, all said the same thing, the servers go online Sep 1st. They are all installing the machines or already have them in place ready to go.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
3 different smog shops, all said the same thing, the servers go online Sep 1st. They are all installing the machines or already have them in place ready to go.

thank ya, Sir.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM

I forget which date they gave to get them up but we have ours pretty much ready to go as well. Just waiting on my laptop to get here from Newegg.

Originally Posted by ViperThreat
Thanks for the input guys, I am much less worried now.

Another thing I just remembered was that I deleted the air-pump system a while back. I just disabled the CEL codes for it. Can the Smog center detect when the codes are disabled?
Right now it can't detect codes that are disabled. In the future though, they might.

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
for the air-pump, what I've heard is (since my '02 didn't come with one), it's up to the tech, since it's more of a visual thing. From what I understand, the OBD-II reader only looks for DTC codes that are "on" and since they're disabled, the reader will not pick them up. I know I have codes turned off because of my DP and TGV deletes, and I passed with no issues.
Visually its a fail if the air pump system is missing but like you said it all depends on how competent and lenient the tech is.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 07-21-2014 at 05:29 PM.