Unofficial: BAM X

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Last year's Grill team did an awesome job...the food was perfect. Sounds like we're in good hands again this year
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their positive attitudes and support, it really makes organizing this event much easier for me. I know I can't avoid the negative stuff that comes with taking on an event such as BAM, because no matter what you do you can't satisfy everyone, and some of those people will make sure that you're aware of how unsatisfied they are...

Often people will send me messages with ideas on how to expand or "improve" the event, like adding an Auto-X or renting some really phenomenal spot like the Alemeda airstrip, and as great as these ideas are they are still very unrealistic and we can't pull something like that off... Not only would we face incredible financial hurdles, but the time and effort required is insane, and not just that, but BAM is supposed to be a meet where everyone gets together in one spot so that we can meet new people, see old friends, show your family/friends what your subie club is all about, etc... It's a family based event... EVERYONE is invited, so if you want to bring your 13 year old little sister or you 99 year old grandfather, all are welcome and that's what makes this meet great. You don't only get to meet all the people behind the screen names, but you get to catch up with people you haven't seen in ages, and you also get to bring your family/friends along so that they can get an idea of what your "i-club" is all about.

The meet has a very positive vibe and everyone is VERY chill. The vendors set up their booths and welcome everyone to come by and check out what they have to offer, ask questions in person, and also meet the vendors... It's a GREAT opportunity for folks to get to know the great bay area vendors that we have supporting us and I know everyone appreciates that. It's a great opportunity for the vendors to meet members as well, so it works out for everyone. This is what "BAM" (Bay Area Meet) is all about and as much as some people want to change it, we really can't... It's tradition now and has been for quite some time, and as Spock would say; "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", and as long as we've been doing this the majority of people have ALWAYS voted to keep it as a family type event.

SECOND, there's not much we can do about the location. I've had a ton of people helping me in trying to find a new spot (after we outgrew Mt Hammy) where we could all gather, and after everything is factored in, Stafford Lake is a very prime spot for us to gather in. Stafford lake not only has the capacity to hold all of us (up to 500 subies), but they have great picnic grounds that have electricity, running water/sinks, lots of bathrooms, and a very central area that is ideal for hosting the type of event that we put on each year.

I know that the lot of all the subies is separated a little bit by some trees/bush, but the main lot isn't any further than it was at Mt Hammy... If people want to go to the lot and check out the other cars, all they have to do is walk 50 yards and be face to face with all the subies that he/she could hope for. It seems like it's more separated because of the bush/trees that separate the lot from the picnic area, but in actuality it's closer than the picnic area VS lot was at Hammy...

Since we can't change the location (not this year at least), what do you guys propose as a solution? What do you guys think we can do to close the gap between the main area and the parking lot? Maybe set up some fun type of event closer to the lot? Maybe have the actual "car show" in the lot so that people have to go to the lot in order to vote... I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas on how to get more traffic into the main lot so that people don't think of the two areas (the two areas being the main picnic area and the main parking lot) as two different areas... It would be better for people to get more of a sense of having one giant spot where both the parking lot and the picnic area just flow together. What about a contest for "BEST CAR PHOTO" of BAM, where the pic has to be taken in the PARKING LOT and has to include more than one car, and the winner gets a custom title on i-club or something... These are just rough ideas, but what do you guys think?

All ideas are welcome and I'm sure we can think of something to bridge the gap between the two sites.

It's a shame that we have to face so much negativity from people... Even in this thread you can see people trying to bring down all the things we have worked hard to build... Members bashing other members, etc, etc... Come on guys, this meet is supposed to bring us all together, an event that allows us to gather, eat, drink, and laugh! Lets focus on that and lets keep things positive... Lets not focus on "Oh, well "Richard said I was a n00b back in 2007 so now I hate him and flame him in every thread that I see!!!"...

As a wise man once said, one wastes much more energy with hate than they do forgiving, or something along those lines Honestly though, holding grudges and being negative doesn't solve anything... I don't hold grudges, ESPECIALLY online because online persona's DO NOT reflect someone's real life persona's... I don't know if it's just me, but over the last 15 years I've learned to filter just about everything that is thrown at me online because I know it's not a realistic assessment of what the person would actually say to you in real life. It's not just by reflecting on what others have said to me, but it's what I sometimes say to others... I say things online that DO NOT translate correctly online, and you guys know exactly what I'm talking about... Like if I were to call Soggynoodles a "f*** face" and not use any emoticons, in real life he'd realize that I was just saying it because he's a friend and it was intended in a friendly way, but online everything changes and it might be taken as an insult... I'm very sarcastic and I like to be vulgar in a very friendly way, like mentioned a second ago, but it's hard to translate that persona online...

Anyway, my whole point is to forgive and move on. Being negative and holding grudges is what little kids do, and I hope BAM can do more than to just bring people together in one spot, I hope that BAM can bring people together in other ways as well. We're not NAZICOCK, we're i-club... This place is like a big family and you know you can't hate your family... Family members argue from time to time, but in the end you're still family.

Sorry for the long extended lecture at the end of that post but it's something we should all really focus on... "can't we all just get along!?".

I look forward to seeing you all in a few months! Look for the official thread
Old 05-29-2010, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Sti
I love events like this. Especially if they donate money toward a good cause!
This will be my first BAM event but you can totally count me in!
I like the idea of having it at the park. Good location IMO. But if organizers want to host it somewhere else in coming years, a lot places don't charge a lot if its non-profit and the proceeds go toward a good cause. 3 months ago I attended a banquet at Moffet Field in one of hugeee hangers! Just an idea!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
im excited for X
Old 05-29-2010, 02:54 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Are you trying to tell me that soggy is NOT a f#@kface?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 02 MBP WRX
last year was my first and im lookin forward to this year. everyone was really nice and it was a great atmosphere. keep on the good work bruce
Old 05-29-2010, 04:56 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
cant wait for this year. good to see all you ****ers n one place every year
Old 05-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
I have yet to meet more than like 15 subaru owners so this would be great. I look forward to this. Thanks for taking time to make this happen brucelee, really appreciate the hard work.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
i always look forward to this event and im looking forward to this years BAM. i cant even remember how many of these events ive gone to, yet each one is still memorable.

keep us posted on the date so i can take time off.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi
SUBY <3

I will be there

I have no problem paying $25 for an event this huge.

People complain about paying $5 for an all day event, but not for a cup of coffee.

Last edited by STi33W; 05-29-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
^ Hope you're in the country when this goes down!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
make it the 12th/19th of Sept. I'll be there
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Car Info: Honda
Just as a disclaimer, the following are not complaints, nor an attack on last years a event, so nobody get too sensitive and take offense please

On food last year it may have been good, however all I got was a bag of chips. I saw many people coming back with heaping plates of bbq'd goodness but when I finally went up (after the line finally ended still in the shade) There was only a few pieces of meat and no buns...I was a little dissappointed Sooo...I have an idea (cuz whats the point of saying a problem with out suggesting a solution) Since we did have wristbands last year we could do 2 things, 1st to keep everyone in shorter lines call the #'s up on the wristbands example wristbands have a #67854 or something say everyone between 67750-67800 come get food than the next 50 people. 2nd maybe mark the wristbands with an X so no one sneaks in for 2nds before others have gotten 1sts...just a thought

Also I have a general idea...maybe we could make the donation a whole sort of theme to the bbq. If we're donating to the animal shelter it would be great if we could find a place to bring our pooches too(just a thought maybe we could try a fair grounds http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/facilities.shtml as an example, although it maybe too late to change this year) If we brought our pooches we could maybe have a cutuest/ugliest dog contest or best trick or dress them up lol...also it would be pretty sweet if the human society could host an adoption event at BAM (I know many of us have puppys and kittens and dont need more but you know you put those big brown eyes in front of us and some of us will go home with a new best friend). OR we could also do something where if we bring a dog/cat toy/food we get a discount on entry or a free raffle ticket or two

And it doesnt even have to be animal shelters/humane society we donate to and have as a theme, example: breast cancer and we could put pink on the shirts (cuz I'd love to see some of you boys rockin pink) and maybe get people to grow out their hair and cut it at the event and donate to cancer patients

Sorry that was longer than I thought and I dont even know if these ideas are plausible...Im just throwing it out there for consideration

PS My bf drives the scooby and I dont really use my acct much on here (maybe that will prevent you all from just saying "wtf? whose this?" but you might anyway)

Last edited by StarrRSX; 05-31-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Your food issue point is very valid.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
the X on the wristband is a great idea. Starr

Quick Reply: Unofficial: BAM X