UFC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Some people just tend to get cut or bleed more than others (i.e F Griffin). Doesn't mean those punches Sonnen dished out on Silva didn't hurt him.
Were you watching the same fight? Sonnen was like open fist slapping Silva. There were definitely some clean shots that connected. Sonnen was more worried about "staying busy" so the ref didnt stand them up. Most of his shots missed, or were little taps. Those ear pops were definitely legit though, those hurt.

The only round Sonnen was a threat to Silva was #1. The other rounds his ground and pound was nullified and he kind of just kicked it on top of Silva. Silva may have looked lazy but Sonnen's ground and pound is legit.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by skeeler
Were you watching the same fight? Sonnen was like open fist slapping Silva. There were definitely some clean shots that connected. Sonnen was more worried about "staying busy" so the ref didnt stand them up. Most of his shots missed, or were little taps. Those ear pops were definitely legit though, those hurt.

The only round Sonnen was a threat to Silva was #1. The other rounds his ground and pound was nullified and he kind of just kicked it on top of Silva. Silva may have looked lazy but Sonnen's ground and pound is legit.

I think this is one of those scenarios (along with the Lawal-Mousasi fight) where you can argue Japanese MMA rules would have made it more active.

Basically the criteria for standing two fighters up in the Japanese type rules is not so much "being busy" but trying to finish the fight, which on the ground is advancing position.

We frequently run into a bad situation under American MMA rules where the two fighters are BUSY on the ground, but not advancing position to finish the fight.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by verc
I think this is one of those scenarios (along with the Lawal-Mousasi fight) where you can argue Japanese MMA rules would have made it more active.

Basically the criteria for standing two fighters up in the Japanese type rules is not so much "being busy" but trying to finish the fight, which on the ground is advancing position.

We frequently run into a bad situation under American MMA rules where the two fighters are BUSY on the ground, but not advancing position to finish the fight.
Yeah, I felt they should have been stood up many times during the fight. Sonnen was just pinning him down the whole time. Unfortunately throwing 2 inch punches and slapping people is considered work. Sonnen had Silva on the ground but really didnt do much to threaten him. I'm suprised Sonnen became distracted with throwing those tiny punches out too, it cost him the belt.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM

What a fight, I was really proud of Sonnen actually enacting his gameplan upon Silva. I really wanted to see Silva get beat, but before the fight started, I still put $5 (Yeah I know baller status) on Silva, which I gladly took from my friend while still in a state of shock at the end of the fight.

Silva played it smart and lulled Sonnen into getting too confident on top. I'll admit that after 4 rounds of Sonnen on top and Silva not being able to get out, the 5th round with <3min to go didn't look so good for Silva as Sonnen had solidly won the first 4 rounds. Silva did a good job training for this fight and obviously was ready to be on his back for the duration.

It was great to see Sonnen ***** slap some humbleness into Silva, because Silva is such a talented fighter that if he really took it seriously, he would dominate even more than he already does. It's sad to see a great fighter squander his abilities. Sonnen needs to learn the submission game and not just ground-n-pound because that is one-dimensional in a multi-dimensional sport. If he could get some lessons from Shinya Aoki that would be awesome.

The biggest irony is that Sonnen was talking **** about Silva's BJJ credentials, saying that getting a degree from wherever he got his from is like getting a toy in your happy meal. When a BJJ move finished the fight there was nothing else to be said.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Car Info: N/A
Silva said he came into the fight with a rib injury and the doctor told him not to fight but he fought anyways. I'm still a fan of his even though he pulls some stupid **** sometimes like show boating when it is uncalled for. Even Sonnen expected more of a fight from him and agreed that something probably was wrong with him. I want to see a rematch when they are both 100%.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by gh0st shad0w
Silva said he came into the fight with a rib injury and the doctor told him not to fight but he fought anyways. I'm still a fan of his even though he pulls some stupid **** sometimes like show boating when it is uncalled for. Even Sonnen expected more of a fight from him and agreed that something probably was wrong with him. I want to see a rematch when they are both 100%.
Agreed. Silva looked like he was sick or like he just woke up. Anyone see that Stefan Struve fight?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
Fixed fight

1 owner, has total power
Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Fixed fight? Any fight can change at any time.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
In other fights, Clay Guida defeats Dos Anjos by tap out due to jaw injury.
Jon Fitch wins in decision against Thiago Alves.

If u guys missed the Chael vs Anderson fight, it's a must watch!

In the end:
USA 3 Brazil 2
Sorry to hijack the thread but my new patient is a Brazilian guy that broke his jaw at a fight this weekend and I think it may be this guy. Is he a badass? Where is he on the grand scheme of things? Just curious.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
Here's the fight for anyone that missed it. Make sure to keep a low profile about this page, and turn your volume OFF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtzFPUmMJqo

EDIT:Apologies it's only the 4th/5th rounds. Best I could find so far.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM

I also found this amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8N9H...eature=related
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by jawfxr
Sorry to hijack the thread but my new patient is a Brazilian guy that broke his jaw at a fight this weekend and I think it may be this guy. Is he a badass? Where is he on the grand scheme of things? Just curious.
You can say he's an up-and-comer.
His profile:
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rafael-dos-Anjos-11675

Just outta curiosity, are you a doctor or something?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Thanks for the link. It's got some good shots of the tap.

Honestly... if I was Sonnen I'd have beef too. His "tap" was one inner thigh. If you're tapping because you have to you tap quickly and more than once.

He wavers and taps a hand on the inner thigh and IMMEDIATELY goes for his own forearm. I think he's got a decent beef on that one.

Now beyond that... I think he was pretty close to having to tap anyways. He should have left his damn arm in. Would have been fine. Put it up on his ear.

I think he deserves another shot.

As for Silva and the rib injury. I'd like to see a doctors note on that one. I don't see Dana allowing his most dominate fighter to take that big of a risk. You don't fight with broken ribs. I couldn't move around for **** when I broke mine and I have a half way decent pain tolerance. Beyond that, it's INSANELY dangerous. If one of those gets hit even half way decent it can snap into a vital organ.

I think he's full of ****. Either that or he wasn't taking Sonnen seriously.

I can't wait until someone folds silva in half. I hate that dude.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 AM

I used to like Silva but he's become too much of a showboater and he's waaaay too cocky.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy

As for Silva and the rib injury. I'd like to see a doctors note on that one. I don't see Dana allowing his most dominate fighter to take that big of a risk. You don't fight with broken ribs. I couldn't move around for **** when I broke mine and I have a half way decent pain tolerance. Beyond that, it's INSANELY dangerous. If one of those gets hit even half way decent it can snap into a vital organ.

I think he's full of ****. Either that or he wasn't taking Sonnen seriously.

I can't wait until someone folds silva in half. I hate that dude.

funny thing is, Silva took some shots to the ribs while on the ground. Didn't faze him at all.

Quick Reply: UFC Thread