UFC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by iLoqin
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-mmaweek090210

Seriously is that all they make? I coulda sworn they made a whole lot more in this industry, especially the UFC... hmmm
They get good sponsership though. For televised fights, one small patch on the pant leg costs a sponser $2-10k depending on the event and fighter.

I know for the CBS fights (Strikeforce) Jake Shields got $20k for the logo on his buttcheeks. Additional sponsership income on the banner, post-fight hat, post-fight drink, etc.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM

BUt yeah on the subject of crappy fighter pay (also no health insurance) one of my best friends is making a documentary on this: http://www.youtube.com/user/fightlifemovie

If you're really an MMA fan you owe it to yourself to watch it when it comes out later this year (in post production right now). On one hand you feel compassion for how crappy it is to be a fighter, but on the other hand you gain respect for people (fighters are like musicians and artists) who follow their passions in life no matter what, instead of doing what most people do which is go to college and then get a ****ty job they hate that only makes $50k anyways
Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Car Info: N/A
I wonder how much money is actually made at a UFC event and how much Dana makes.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Car Info: '05 LGT Ltd.
You go to UFC to make your name, and sponsorship/merchandising makes you money.

You go to Strikeforce to get paid if you have a name and you're washed up. Feydor gets ridiculous amounts of money from Strikeforce, that's why m1 doesn't want him to go to UFC. Dana White won't give him the money he's getting from SF.

I forget who it was but a few months back, one of the fighters that won was literally fighting for his place to live. His win enabled him to pay his backed up mortgage payments, so he wouldn't be homeless, he was to be evicted shortly thereafter if he had lost.

As for how much Dana and Joe make per PPV? Obscene amounts of money, figure the cheap tickets are like $120, and expensive ones are $500+, and the venues aren't tiny. Add in the sponsorship dollars from big names like Coors Light, etc.

I can't wait for MMA to finally win it's legitimacy, so the fighters can start getting a better deal. Though hopefully it never inflates to boxing figures.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Feydor is washed up? That's interesting.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Feydor is washed up? That's interesting.
failure hangs out on Sherdog too often.
Wait, that made much more sense than I intended.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Car Info: '05 LGT Ltd.
Feydor isn't washed up, M1's just milking him for cash. Feydor is prolly rusty as hell against any decent competition though, hence his stupid loss to Verdum.

Or are you guys going to try and say Strikeforce's heavyweight division is the upper echelon of MMA? UFC's last attempt to get him was more than Dana White said he'd ever give a fighter, and M1 still pushed for more. I want to see Feydor compete in UFC, as it'd put to rest the whole debate. I honestly think he'd be just as amazing as he was in Pride, but it looks like he's going to squander the rest of his career beating on tin cans. Unless he takes control of his career and tells his management where to go, everyone will be wondering how good he really was.

And what's Sherdog?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by failure
Feydor isn't washed up, M1's just milking him for cash. Feydor is prolly rusty as hell against any decent competition though, hence his stupid loss to Verdum.

And what's Sherdog?
It's a popular news site and forum for MMA related discussion, having been around since long before the MMA became known to the mainstream public.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by failure
Or are you guys going to try and say Strikeforce's heavyweight division is the upper echelon of MMA?

You're going to have a hard time arguing that Werdum, Overeem, and Silva wouldn't at least be contenders in the UFC, which up until recently (the last year basically.... maaaaaybe you could argue the last two years) had a MORE crappy heavyweight division than Strikeforce has right now.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 PM

Brock Lesnar got owned!!

Cain baby! San Jose represent!!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
that knee killed lesnar but we will probably see a rematch in 18 months or so if they both continue to win. Lesnar however needs to get better stand up since he is so far behind in the division in that area.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Brown Pride.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 PM

Car Info: 02wrx
Aztec>Viking
Old 10-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by subbiedood
Aztec>Viking
what is this, Deadliest Warrior? lol
Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver