Top Gear in jeopardy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Nope.

I'm just going to watch THIS topgear. And when in 6-8 years everyone else jumps on board, they will call me a hipster, yet, they are the ones jumping on bandwagons.

Anyways... a Clarkson-less TopGear is definitely worth watching!

a Clarkson-less TopGear is the same a a Price is right -Less Bob Barker....no offense to Drew

He and his mates made the show everyone is so enamored with, as much as the content was just as important as their interactions and relationships.
TopGear is NOTHING with out May, Hamster and the Orangutan
No one is going to watch it but they may draw some new audiences who aren't as familiar with old guys.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Top Gear in jeopardy?

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
a Clarkson-less TopGear is the same a a Price is right -Less Bob Barker....no offense to Drew

He and his mates made the show everyone is so enamored with, as much as the content was just as important as their interactions and relationships.
TopGear is NOTHING with out May, Hamster and the Orangutan
No one is going to watch it but they may draw some new audiences who aren't as familiar with old guys.
Right... because top gear didn't exist for decades before they were the hosts, right?

not like that ever happened.

TopGear worked before them, it will work after them.

and if this gets non car people to stop watching, all the better. again, I personally want to watch shows about cars. not a show about three stooges acting like its a show about cars.

top gear was like day time talk shows.
clarkson/may/Hammond top gear was like when day time talk shows started having fights, cheaters and paternity tests. ratings through the roof? sure! but they sold their souls in the process.

anyways. I'm excited.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:13 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Right... because top gear didn't exist for decades before they were the hosts, right?

not like that ever happened.

TopGear worked before them, it will work after them.

and if this gets non car people to stop watching, all the better. again, I personally want to watch shows about cars. not a show about three stooges acting like its a show about cars.

top gear was like day time talk shows.
clarkson/may/Hammond top gear was like when day time talk shows started having fights, cheaters and paternity tests. ratings through the roof? sure! but they sold their souls in the process.

anyways. I'm excited.
Stop behaving like a Nasioc hater Just because it is not your particular brand of vodka, does not mean you have to crap all over it and celebrate. You're acting no differently than a starch Christian crying that someone else's marriage beliefs do not fall in line with your own. So ****ing what you don't like entertainment based car show? Go watch Motor Week then

Getting back on topic...I am not sure the show's old 80-90s straight motoring reporting format can work in this decade. I think what made re-booted Tog Gear successful (intentionally or not) is differentiation from other more traditional automotive sources. Thanks to today's internet we can find out car's specifications, driving impressions and pictures in a billion different blogs and YouTube channels whenever we want. Why bother going through hassle of finding a singular TV show that will do nothing different?

I am still being optimistic and open minded, so I will definitely give a new version a try...I just think they will need to adapt and come up with the new format rather than trying to duplicate successes of the old...a la Top Gear USA

EDIT: Though if they do go with you suggested route of devoid-of-all-entertainment car show about cars...I have no clue how they will attract "non-car people". My non-car coworkers care more about new cars' ability to read FaceBook and Twitter posts to them more than any performance or maintenance measures. Their eys glaze over as soon as I start talking about new tire compound, hybrid engine or suspension designs of the new sports cars.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 05-05-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Stop behaving like a Nasioc hater Just because it is not your particular brand of vodka, does not mean you have to crap all over it and celebrate. You're acting no differently than a starch Christian crying that someone else's marriage beliefs do not fall in line with your own. So ****ing what you don't like entertainment based car show? Go watch Motor Week then
Because my open dislike for TopGear got lots of flak from people, especially i-clubbers. So yeah, I'm going to dance around and IDGAF if hurts someone's feelings to be honest. Some of these very people are on this thread, and to them I say

Oh and I do watch motor week!

Getting back on topic...I am not sure the show's old 80-90s straight motoring reporting format can work in this decade. I think what made re-booted Tog Gear successful (intentionally or not) is differentiation from other more traditional automotive sources. Thanks to today's internet we can find out car's specifications, driving impressions and pictures in a billion different blogs and YouTube channels whenever we want. Why bother going through hassle of finding a singular TV show that will do nothing different?

I am still being optimistic and open minded, so I will definitely give a new version a try...I just think they will need to adapt and come up with the new format rather than trying to duplicate successes of the old...a la Top Gear USA

EDIT: Though if they do go with you suggested route of devoid-of-all-entertainment car show about cars...I have no clue how they will attract "non-car people". My non-car coworkers care more about new cars' ability to read FaceBook and Twitter posts to them more than any performance or maintenance measures. Their eys glaze over as soon as I start talking about new tire compound, hybrid engine or suspension designs of the new sports cars.
You need a hug? Tissue? I'm here for you, man, in your time of sorrow.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:43 PM

Oh and I do watch motor week!
So do I. It is got a weird charm to it.

You need a hug? Tissue? I'm here for you, man, in your time of sorrow.
Yes, please. It was such a tragic event in my life. I don't know how I have been coping with it
Old 05-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
So do I. It is got a weird charm to it.

Yes, please. It was such a tragic event in my life. I don't know how I have been coping with it
Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Clarkson, Hammond, and May in talks with Netflix for House of Cars

Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Rescuer

How about: Orange is the new Black Leather?

This will be a homerun based on the tears seen so far.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Old School

Lets take a trip back in time!

(Jump to 6:10 for Tiff. Damn I miss Murray Walker)

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 05-13-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Old School

Love that huge boost gauge in the center. I've always liked the Merkur/Sierra cars. 500hp in sounds awesome, but so crazy to think that's easily achievable by anyone with an EVO/STI/WRX etc these days.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:11 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Lets take a trip back in time!

(Jump to 6:10 for Tiff. Damn I miss Murray Walker)

Top Gear 1989 (Jeremy Clarkson/Tiff Needell) - YouTube
Speaking of Murray Walker, imagine James Hunt is still around commentating F1 races...
Old 06-07-2015, 02:23 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
rejoice fanboys

Hammond And May To Reject £4m BBC Deal In Favour Of Joining Clarkson At Netflix
Old 06-07-2015, 03:30 PM

^^^Bros before shows
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Car Info: 2013 Forester on Towstrap
Looks like Clarkson, Hammond, and May have signed with Amazon for a new show!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/clarkson...424900632.html
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Amazon Prime FTW! Regardless of Gagan's position I'm sure this will be entertaining "television".

-Brian

Quick Reply: Top Gear in jeopardy?