STAR Smog leads to State Ref, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 99 AW ej205 Coupe // 06 SGM Wagon
STAR Smog leads to State Ref, Questions

Hey guys,

Before anyone asks, I'm NOT looking for any smog hook ups. I just need some info from people who have been to the state ref with a swapped car. I purchased my car already swapped and stickered, so I've never been to the state ref.

Backround:

-1999 2.5RS with 2002 WRX engine with BAR sticker
-WRX ECU with ECUtek tune done at LIC back in 2004 (when it was first swapped) I believe its only tuned for a downpipe, since everything else was stock.
-swapped the downpipe back to stock
-after market up pipe to rid the catted one
-Samco 3 hose intercooler piping (changed after MAF back to stock)
-Grimmspeed AOS

So I have to get STAR smogged by the end of November. I went to Main Street Smog and Andrew told me that any station with the newer BAR-OIS equipment will automatically fail me / not touch my car. I was told that the BAR-OIS is a new system, so there's a grey area for swapped vehicles. Since my car is a 99 chassis, I need a station that is STAR approved, but only has the older BAR-97 system. They're not required to upgrade to the BAR-OIS until Jan '15. Unfortunately for me, I called all the stations in my area and they have all upgraded to the new BAR-OIS. They all told me that my only option was to go to a state ref, so I'll probably go to the one at Evergreen College.

Now, I have a couple questions:
-Can I get away with the intercooler hoses, or do I have to go back to stock?
-will the ECUtek tune show up on their system? What options do I have if it does... swap to a stock ECU?
-Yay or nay on the AOS?
-Anyone have a catless OEM uppipe for sale?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
If you go to a State referee, I can just about guarantee you will not pass visual with anything aftermarket not approved by the CARB, e.g. AOS, intercooler hoses (if they look for/at them, which they probably will) and aftermarket up-pipe (again, if they look for/at them).

A tune, TYPICALLY, does not throw up any red flags, but I'm have not heard any feedback on how thorough the new STAR OBDII scan is and if it can detect disabled monitors or not.

My advice, as with anyone getting a smog: put everything back to stock/OEM, don't romp on it to or from the check if you're tuned, pass and be done with it.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:34 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
I took my swap in with a disabled/flashed CEL to state ref and I passed. This was about two or three years ago so I don't know if it will still fly now.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 99 AW ej205 Coupe // 06 SGM Wagon
Thanks for the comments.

I ended up driving to Newark to have my smog done. Turns out a lot of the STAR stations in Alamedy County haven't received the new BAR-OIS equipment. I went to a Newark smog station since he only had the BAR-97 machine. Went there AS-IS (stock downpipe, stock after MAF tube, and ECUTek tune) and passed with flying colors.

Last edited by Mr.Carl; 10-27-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Just take it over to the guy next to RBMS, he has both systems and can do both types of smog check.

*edit* ah ok you are set
Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Is this the shop all the way in the back? The little old Viet dude? That's where I go all the time. Nice guy, no BS. He has the newer machine though.

I think there's actually a shop right up the street from Main Street smog that has the older machine as well, unless he recently upgraded, because I took him a newer car one time and he said his machine was older and couldn't test it. It is in the bigger lot close to where the Y is to go to the mall. For next time.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by 04GG
Is this the shop all the way in the back? The little old Viet dude? That's where I go all the time. Nice guy, no BS. He has the newer machine though.

I think there's actually a shop right up the street from Main Street smog that has the older machine as well, unless he recently upgraded, because I took him a newer car one time and he said his machine was older and couldn't test it. It is in the bigger lot close to where the Y is to go to the mall. For next time.
No, He's talking about "Eric". His SMOG place is the 3rd or 4th unit from the road.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
my last smog was just at any certified star station, only needed to swapped downpipe as the rest of the stock looking items were still there