Some really interesting Oil info

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:02 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by BrewMasta
I was expecting Most of Motul's product to come out on top, but was surprised that isnt the case. With that said, it would appear this blog was posted back in 2013. To my knowledge Manufacturers' Oil concentrate formula for a given product, can be altered over time (possibly to adhere to changes in a market, or for superior versions). I wouldn't be surprised if data like this is no longer accurate to today's products.
If you read, it gets updated quite often with new info and new formula mixes.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:47 PM
rok

Car Info: 20 Tesla Y LR AWD
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
So what is this “Oil Extreme concentrate” the link keeps referring to? Without it the top rated oils perform very poorly...

I only started making my way through the blog though.

I was gonna do something like that for my own reference. I can post what I have once I am finished.
The Oil Extreme concentrate could be bought here: OIL EXTREME CONCENTRATE: MOTOR OIL: BETTER THAN SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

The Prolong Oil Treatment cold be bought here:
Amazon.com: Prolong Super Lubricants PSL11000 Engine Treatment  - 12 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Prolong Super Lubricants PSL11000 Engine Treatment - 12 oz.: Automotive

Prolong is one bottle per the first oil change with it (4-5q to 12oz of treatment). Prolong has a cheaper booster they recommend after the first time. If you have the Killer B Oil pan you can dump 5q of oil and 12oz of first treatment (or 8oz of booster) in, that's what I'm doing this weekend. Stock pan just subtract .5-1q of your oil change with the treatment or booster.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
^THIS

Originally Posted by Lowend
Earlier today one of my very knowledgeable engine builder friends (you guys who know my background know that's not an easy complement to earn ) sent me some really interesting data on engine oils.
This guy is an actual engineer, who does testing, solid testing. He doesn't sell oil, he's just interested in the data

It's a long read, but you are going to be very surprised by the results
My oil buying habits are about to change.
Yeah, that's not real solid testing...just some ish he made up:

From the article : My tester spins a test ring bathed in oil at 456 rpm (7.6 rev/sec), and a test specimen is “gently” brought down into contact with the spinning ring. A load is then “gently” applied to the test specimen and is “gradually” increased, so as not to suddenly punch through the oil film, and also to allow the zinc a bit of time to get hot and become effective.

At the conclusion of each 30 second test, the wear scar that is generated, is carefully measured with the aid of a magnifying glass to maximize accuracy. Then the psi that the oil supported, is calculated, which gives the value of its “load carrying capacity/film strength”. All the oils are of course subjected to the exact same test procedure, so they all have the same opportunity to perform as well as they can.
How in the **** does this test method relate to what happens in an engine? Why doesn't the SAE use this method?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:42 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
The test is for lubrication. Which is about everything the oil does in the engine. The oil lubricates everything that moves.

SAE sets standards for oil thickness. Not lubrication.

Decent rundown of the test with explanation of what it means.

Heads up, it's also an ad for Royal Purple.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 09-11-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
I'm personally skeptical about this blog as well. The guy says he is a mechanical engineer and shows a list of credentials... What is missed there is his real world name! But people will believe everything they read over the internet especially if it sounds a bit scientific.

UOA is the best way to see if oil is doing fine or not in your engine.

Last edited by wwrx; 09-11-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:26 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by wwrx
I'm personally skeptical about this blog as well. The guy says he is a mechanical engineer and shows a list of credentials... What is missed there is his real world name! But people will believe everything they read over the internet especially if it sounds a bit scientific.
Or he just knows that oil fanboyz systematically refuse to accept objective scientific data and hunt down to crucify anyone that doesn't support their preferred brand? So he rather remain anonymous?