Rolling dyno/smog checks!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 04 java black pearl sti/06 honda ruckus
Rolling dyno/smog checks!!

So in the last month I have heard of 3 such cases , basically it's set up like a DUI checkpoint, except it's a smog machine fully equipped with a dyno, sniffer ect, they had one in Martinez on Pacheco , concord on treat blvd, and today concord on concord blvd, all mid week, mid day, and in the last month, basically I'd suggest if your modded and see cones, chp, ez up tents, in the road to turn and or go a different route!!! Just a heads up, I know quite a few of us wouldent pass, and even though it's a 2wd dyno they could still shove the sniffer in your *** and ruin your day!!

Just a heads up

Has anyone else seen this? Anywhere?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
nice. Glad I tow my car.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Originally Posted by blkdout04
they could still shove the sniffer in your *** and ruin your day!!
considering the trouble i'd have walking or sitting, i'd say it would ruin my week at the least...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
This is pretty much what you will see if you find one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoTCSRgvPaM

There was a rolling smog check point here in Vacaville earlier this spring. Was there for several hours, everytime I drove past it, there was an import on it. Best play is to avoid it if possible.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
on a serious note, it might be a good idea to start carrying my accessport around. change to the "stock" or "economy mode" map on the fly.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by turfshark
on a serious note, it might be a good idea to start carrying my accessport around. change to the "stock" or "economy mode" map on the fly.
To that effect: which map would be the cleanest? Also - I would think your car needs to be off in order to flash a new map. Would you just try to do this super sneaky like once they flag you over?

Frankly I'm not overly concerned. Without a 4 wheel dyno we get off pretty easy, and were already susceptible to visual inspections anyway.

I find it crazy that they need to get THIS scientific when I regularly see (smoke) or smell cars that clearly couldn't pass. What I'm saying is they haven't even eliminated the freebies yet so why start with this?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Seems like a waste if money time and resources to me
Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Car Info: '05 STI
You are all missing a key sentence:

Participation is optional.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
Originally Posted by DerekB707
This is pretty much what you will see if you find one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoTCSRgvPaM
Whoa that is where I grew up! That's crazy O_o

I Guess this is their way to combat the guys who are willing to pass cars in violation of smog. I think it's a bit of a load of ****, but it's a good way to do it.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
im stockkkkk =] .. . .... .. . for now.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by akdmx
To that effect: which map would be the cleanest? Also - I would think your car needs to be off in order to flash a new map. Would you just try to do this super sneaky like once they flag you over?

Frankly I'm not overly concerned. Without a 4 wheel dyno we get off pretty easy, and were already susceptible to visual inspections anyway.

I find it crazy that they need to get THIS scientific when I regularly see (smoke) or smell cars that clearly couldn't pass. What I'm saying is they haven't even eliminated the freebies yet so why start with this?
What's even funnier is how completely stupid the smog system is. For example, you don't have to smog your NEW car for 5 years so we have loads of NEW cars rolling around with superchargers, turbo kits etc making loads of power and surely not running clean (in every case). No smog for them.

Then you take my '93 Justy which has to have the timing retarded to the point where the car will barely pull itself up a hill and gets around 20mpg (in a 1.2L 3 cyl) in order to pass. Once it passes, advance the timing again to get much more power and around 35mpg.

Where does any of this make sense?

Then you factor in things like a AC-130 which uses more fuel than this 1993 Justy has in it's 18 years of operation in ONE FUEL UP*. Two of these planes completed a 36 hour non-stop flight in 1997 that set records. The planes were refueled 7 times. Assuming these planes were normally fitted with internal wing tanks and the dual ~1300 gallon pod tanks, that should be around 66,000 gallons of fuel. That's TWO airplanes, for 36 hours. These two planes used more fuel than 13 Justy's would need to operate for 18 years. Yet the cars are the problem.... Hmmm.

It makes it really hard to take the smog laws seriously because it's painfully obvious that reducing or controlling emissions is clearly NOT the prime objective here.

*125,000 miles @ 25mpg (probably closer to 30 for this car, but hey..) equals 5,000 gallons of fuel for the operating lifetime of this car. An average AC-130 can have a total usable fuel capacity of ~9500 gallons.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by jonp
You are all missing a key sentence:

Participation is optional.
Spoken from a LEO... Just refuse, and be on your way. If this was "random" and mandatory, trust me, we'd have heard about it.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM

I still feel that if you refuse, they would throw the book at you, it's chp doing it and chp loves the referee, just saying, I'm sure it all has to do with how you handle it, respectfully, or the "f U I'm not doing it" route, it would be interesting to see
Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 PM

yah it sounds kinda odd if it's optional, that they would set these things up in the first place. I mean, why would anyone want to take time out of their lives to participate in this "optional" smog test?

If u do refuse, like the other guy said, if u look modded, they'll probably just make u pop your hood and/or give u tickets and send u to the ref anyways.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
KILL CARB! it's a joke and they need to stop raping the motoring public

www.killcarb.org

Last edited by zumnwrx; 09-08-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Rolling dyno/smog checks!!