rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
Anybody know what's the cheapest way to get a Season Pass at Bear Valley (thinking about it for the next season)? Or Kirkwood? (not much choice for this one as it's owned by Vail, so my guess is a Epic Local Pass).

I bought a season pass for Sierra (369$ great price) this year but the drive through the US-50 is just plain awful (effing two chain control area's - wtf).

I've been to Bear Valley a couple of times, Kirkwood Once, Mt. Rose twice, Northstar a bunch of times over the years (them prices tho - wtf, and too crowded), Homewood Once (loved the place too, the drive sucks though), Boreal a bunch of times (don't love the drive, and crowded), Sierra (Two chain control area's)

I love Mt. Rose but it's just too far a day drive, liked Homewood too!, and Bear was pretty nice. The easiest ones to get too for a day trip from my experience are Bear Valley, and Kirkwood ( owned by Vail - f'ing prices ) as the highway leading there ain't normally taken / shared hence I'm looking at either snagging an Epic Local Pass, or just a Bear Valley Season pass.

Last edited by Funks; 01-16-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Ray (OneManArmy) will be the Go-To source on Bear Valley pass info, as he and his family have been passholders for years.

But my guess is to keep your eyes peeled in a couple months (early to mid-March) for a possible offer of next season's pass. I seem to recall they (just as other resorts) had a deal where you buy next season's pass and get to use it for the remainder of the current season.

And I just looked into Sierra's pass. It has a TON of awesome benefits!!! 4 days at Squaw/ Alpine. BFF and Free Friday tix! But the best is.... Are you able to take advantage of ANY of the FREE days at the other resorts in the Powder Alliance??? That is an AMAZING deal!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 2017 STI WRB
Originally Posted by boardoholic
Ray (OneManArmy) will be the Go-To source on Bear Valley pass info, as he and his family have been passholders for years.

But my guess is to keep your eyes peeled in a couple months (early to mid-March) for a possible offer of next season's pass. I seem to recall they (just as other resorts) had a deal where you buy next season's pass and get to use it for the remainder of the current season.

And I just looked into Sierra's pass. It has a TON of awesome benefits!!! 4 days at Squaw/ Alpine. BFF and Free Friday tix! But the best is.... Are you able to take advantage of ANY of the FREE days at the other resorts in the Powder Alliance??? That is an AMAZING deal!!!
Didn't even realize this. But I don't know if subaru passes qualify for these benefits. :///

"The offer is not valid with any other offers or promotions. Free skiing/riding privileges and discounts valid for purchased passes from Sierra-at-Tahoe only. Each Sierra-at-Tahoe passholder must show their valid 2016/17 season pass at the Pass Office, not a ticket window."
Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Funks
Anybody know what's the cheapest way to get a Season Pass at Bear Valley (thinking about it for the next season)? Or Kirkwood? (not much choice for this one as it's owned by Vail, so my guess is a Epic Local Pass).

I bought a season pass for Sierra (369$ great price) this year but the drive through the US-50 is just plain awful (effing two chain control area's - wtf).

I've been to Bear Valley a couple of times, Kirkwood Once, Mt. Rose twice, Northstar a bunch of times over the years (them prices tho - wtf, and too crowded), Homewood Once (loved the place too, the drive sucks though), Boreal a bunch of times (don't love the drive, and crowded), Sierra (Two chain control area's)

I love Mt. Rose but it's just too far a day drive, liked Homewood too!, and Bear was pretty nice. The easiest ones to get too for a day trip from my experience are Bear Valley, and Kirkwood ( owned by Vail - f'ing prices ) as the highway leading there ain't normally taken / shared hence I'm looking at either snagging an Epic Local Pass, or just a Bear Valley Season pass.

If you go to various resorts I highly suggest just getting the Mountain Collective or Epic Pass or whatever they're called now. You get access to more resorts for less money.

Bear Valley's season passes are expensive as hell. So they're really only worth it if you're riding pretty much exclusively there. Like 8 times or more a year.

Saying that, the best time to buy is when they go on sale in the spring. Usually towards the end of Feb beginning of March I think. If you get them then they're cheaper... and you can put some days on it this year so going in to next year it's already nearly paid itself off.

But even then, they're more expensive than kirkwood or the collective passes or whatever. I think $449 or $499 or something. I have the forever pass so mine is $399 forever as long as I renew it every year. Which I do.

With the new season passes you get a night stay the village hotel, a couple lessons and a couple free buddy passes. Also get 25% off lift tickets for the homies and 10 or 15% everything at the resort except alcohol. So it's starts to make itself a better value when you're friends get to ride for free for 2 days... essentially $140. And you buy some food every time you go up.

But like I said... only recommend BV pass if you're pretty locked in on going there.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:03 AM
General Pimpin'

Yeah there's is a good one. BV needs to take a look at it and start doing it. I've been giving them hell for years about not having real benefits with their pass.... so this year they finally tossed a few things.

But full price on the damned passes is like $700 now.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yeah there's is a good one. BV needs to take a look at it and start doing it. I've been giving them hell for years about not having real benefits with their pass.... so this year they finally tossed a few things.

But full price on the damned passes is like $700 now.
For that price, the Tahoe Local Pass (which gives one access to Northstar, Kirkwood, and Heavenly) would make more sense for me.. IMHO, Kirkwood is definitely alot better mountain than Bear - and the drive is about the same..
Old 01-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Anyone headed to sierra at tahoe after the storm? I'm thinking Tues - Thurs (one of those days).
Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

For that price, the Tahoe Local Pass (which gives one access to Northstar, Kirkwood, and Heavenly) would make more sense for me.. IMHO, Kirkwood is definitely alot better mountain than Bear - and the drive is about the same..
Yeah, sux that Bear's pass is so much more than even Sierra's. As Ray said, the current price is OVER $700! Sadly, Sugar Bowl must use a similar pricing strategy, where they cost significantly more than the competition.

I found a few links to some early season pricing for Bear (HERE) and the Tahoe Local (HERE) passes. So as you noted, the Tahoe Local is the better deal -- last spring's prices: $459 Tahoe Local vs. $599 Bear Valley Peaks -- assuming the pricing schemes don't vary dramatically this year.

Just curious... why is it so bad that US-50 typically has those 2 spots for chain control? Only asking cuz your profile says you drive a Subaru, right?

And I'm sure you knew that last week's dumpage closed Hwy-88, so the only way to Kirkwood, starting on last Fri (TWO days after the storm), was via Hwy-89... which meant you had to go thru 50. And in case you weren't aware, this is typical of SUPER storms, too!

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-17-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: clarified prices as LAST spring's
Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pingupenguins
Didn't even realize this. But I don't know if subaru passes qualify for these benefits. :///

"The offer is not valid with any other offers or promotions. Free skiing/riding privileges and discounts valid for purchased passes from Sierra-at-Tahoe only. Each Sierra-at-Tahoe passholder must show their valid 2016/17 season pass at the Pass Office, not a ticket window."
Awwww... that blows. I'd call the season pass ofc to make sure. I thought the passes that Subaru offered were FULL season passes -- i.e. the most expensive one, like with FULL pass benefits. Truly sux if that's not the case. If so, they need to stop advertising the value of the passes as such.

Originally Posted by pingupenguins
Anyone headed to sierra at tahoe after the storm? I'm thinking Tues - Thurs (one of those days).
I'm planning to shred at Boreal this Fri ($25 deal), but the forecast has changed over the last 2 days. Way more snow & wind than predicted a few days ago.

So Sierra might be in the crosshairs on Wed. However, those are tougher day trips for me than ones on Fri. I'll try to remember to update my trip status here.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Kirkwood is a dope mountain. Drive the same... depends on where you're coming from. It's farther for me. And it's way ****tier.

There's more people. Everything is more expensive. Etc.

But... pretty much what I said... unless you're riding bear pretty much exclusively.... like you have a place up there... it's pointless to get a pass.

When all of bear valley is open it's about as good as anywhere I've ridden... by the way. But most folks love to hate on it because it's "small" and they don't know wtf they're going. LOL! When I first started dragging i-club folks up there no one wanted to go... now they ask me to go. LOL!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

But... pretty much what I said... unless you're riding bear pretty much exclusively.... like you have a place up there... it's pointless to get a pass.

When all of bear valley is open it's about as good as anywhere I've ridden... by the way. But most folks love to hate on it because it's "small" and they don't know wtf they're going. LOL! When I first started dragging i-club folks up there no one wanted to go... now they ask me to go. LOL!
Luckily, when our li'l crew 1st linked up (How long ago was that?!? '04 or '05??? Sheesh! We're old. LOL), you weren't dragging me out there. I already dug the place. You and Jordan simply opened my eyes to ALL that killer terrain I'd been missing out on. So once again, much mahalos for that!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:07 PM
General Pimpin'

Luckily, when our li'l crew 1st linked up (How long ago was that?!? '04 or '05??? Sheesh! We're old. LOL), you weren't dragging me out there. I already dug the place. You and Jordan simply opened my eyes to ALL that killer terrain I'd been missing out on. So once again, much mahalos for that!
I'm almost to the cut off point. Gonna stop taking new people out there. LOL!

Let them wait for BV to put a gondola in and ruin it for us.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 AM
VIP Member

I'm almost to the cut off point. Gonna stop taking new people out there. LOL!

Let them wait for BV to put a gondola in and ruin it for us.
Haha. And I know you're only half joking.

Once that terrain becomes lift served, fools will be all over them goodies. I ain't got a problem being greedy like a gold prospector keeping others from stealing his claim.

"Now git, ya mangy varmits!!!"
Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Haha. And I know you're only half joking.

Once that terrain becomes lift served, fools will be all over them goodies. I ain't got a problem being greedy like a gold prospector keeping others from stealing his claim.

"Now git, ya mangy varmits!!!"
Me and Jordan been working on a couple new spots. I wouldn't ride them right now but in March we'll ride them.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:12 PM

Awwww... that blows. I'd call the season pass ofc to make sure. I thought the passes that Subaru offered were FULL season passes -- i.e. the most expensive one, like with FULL pass benefits. Truly sux if that's not the case. If so, they need to stop advertising the value of the passes as such.

Sierra says the passes are Sierra-at-Tahoe, only.... Fml.

Guess it's sierra riding only for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.