Quick question about apple i-touch (Internet access question)

Old 07-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Quick question about apple i-touch (Internet access question)

Just have a really quick question.

As you apple guys/gals know, the i-touch is internet capable using wireless, and my question is, can you get onto the web by just using a current wireless connection, or do you need to activate some sort of account/service?

So if I bought one I could just connect using my existing wireless and wouldn't have to subscribe to anything, right? Or do you have to subscribe for some monthly contract or something like you do with phones?

I would think that it would be like a PSP where you can just use existing wireless signals to get on the web for free, but I'm not sure which is why I'm asking you guys.

The specific one I'm talking about is the 8gig apple Itouch, it's not the newest 16gb one, but its more then I will ever really need and for the price I can't beat it, especially if I can in fact use the web without having to pay for some monthly account.

Thanks!

Daniel
Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
You can connect to your existing wireless
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Yup use your existing or anyones unlocked wireless signal

I bought one of the 32G when the new ones came out with the internal speakers... i LOVE it
Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 AM

Yeah, this thing is the bomb. I didn't want an iphone due to the fact that I would have to give up my verizon account, and theres no way I would trade verizon for anyone! This is the best of both worlds, I get a GREAT phone that gets signals EVERYWHERE, and get to use this for everything else. Thing is tiny and really thin, perfect to carry around with you... I can play games, surf the web, and do everything else all while talking on the phone!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by brucelee
Yeah, this thing is the bomb. I didn't want an iphone due to the fact that I would have to give up my verizon account, and theres no way I would trade verizon for anyone! This is the best of both worlds, I get a GREAT phone that gets signals EVERYWHERE, and get to use this for everything else. Thing is tiny and really thin, perfect to carry around with you... I can play games, surf the web, and do everything else all while talking on the phone!
Sounds exactly like me.. Ive had verizon for about 5 years now, currently have the LG Voyager. Love the phone and service.

Love having the itouch cuz you can basically do everything the iphone can do minus making calls or taking pics... oh well
Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 AM

PS: $100 for a brand new in the box 8gig new gen version... My friend works at apple and had some good hookup and said he'd sell it to me for $100 since he has a couple of the 16 gig versions.

I was thinking of buying a mini laptop just for internet surfing that I could carry with me, but this came up and this is more then ideal! I will have to get used to the keyboard and stuff, but no biggie! This is going to be great for work when I am on the field and need internet not to mention while traveling and stuff.

For those of you who have one, if you're watching a movie on it, what is the battery life like for a film? Using headphones of course?

What about games? Like non stop game play, how long will the battery last?

Damn, I can't believe I'm going to score this for $100... and I might even get it for less since he said "Well, I was going to sell it to someone for $100", but he's a really good friend of mine so I think he's going to sell it to me at his cost (which is the cost of materials to make the thing). It really pays to have good friends. I try to hook my friends up with whatever kind of stuff I get, and they always return the favor.

<---- Very happy now.

On top of that, my seat is finally done, I bought it 2 months ago but havn't had the rails to mount it, until now of course, I pick up the seat tomorrow, its waiting at GST for me.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Churro Aficionado

well for me i can listen to music on it for a couple days before i need to charge it...

Internet and apps are another story tho... they KILL the battery life on it Doesnt last too long

I would say a few hours or around there for internet and app use

And when you say "great for work when I am on the field and need internet" what do you mean? Cuz unless there is a wireless signal out there, then you wont get internet, but im sure you know that.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
well for me i can listen to music on it for a couple days before i need to charge it...

Internet and apps are another story tho... they KILL the battery life on it Doesnt last too long

I would say a few hours or around there for internet and app use

And when you say "great for work when I am on the field and need internet" what do you mean? Cuz unless there is a wireless signal out there, then you wont get internet, but im sure you know that.
Yeah, I know, but I can dip into a cafe or something and take a wireless signal instead of having to go home or look for an internet cafe.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
wherever there is wifi, you have internet.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I used to have the touch but the iPhone is much much better. Having 3g is a lot more convenient than Having to rely on an open wifi connection. My touch was useless outside of my router but the iPhone can access Internet practically anywhere.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
make sure you're on the 3.0 O.S. It's alot stabler

have fun
Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Noted, and thank you.

This thing is pretty slick, so much better then the old blackberry... Like bounds and leaps better. I wish it had a real keyboard, but I think I'll get used to this one.

I never thought I'd own one, but for the price I really couldn't pass it up, and after everything I paid $55 for it. w00000t!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Churro Aficionado

hahahah nice