Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)

Old 06-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I sat next to a family at a restaurant the other day. One of the kids was at the table essentially saying the same thing. Talking crap about second tier schools and things like that. Saying someone's choice to go to princeton was stupid because it wasn't as good as where he was going. Blah blah blah. Lawyer... private sector... my degree equals higher pay... blah blah. I'm so smart they're so dumb... blah blah.

Made me sick. I literally stuff my food down my face paid and left. I couldn't listen to it anymore. Kids mom kept looking over me. I wanted to get up and slap the kid in the head.

I honestly wish I had a degree. If I had a degree along with my experience I wouldn't have the work issues I have and I'd quite honestly make $25-45k a year more. but still....
Maybe the mom was looking at you for other reasons...
Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 2020 STI
didn't read through the whole thread, but IMO you should pay it back, it will help you in a lot of ways, especially your credit.

when i finished school I had about 60k in student loans...i used that as motivation to look for a career and pay off the loan; I did not want to depend on my parents/siblings/government...etc...

It was a lot of money that I did not have but I'm also glad because it help pushed me to become who I am today. I'm now down to less than 30k in 5 years (doing a 10 year plan)
Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by Super_Subie13
didn't read through the whole thread, but IMO you should pay it back, it will help you in a lot of ways, especially your credit.

when i finished school I had about 60k in student loans...i used that as motivation to look for a career and pay off the loan; I did not want to depend on my parents/siblings/government...etc...

It was a lot of money that I did not have but I'm also glad because it help pushed me to become who I am today. I'm now down to less than 30k in 5 years (doing a 10 year plan)
Sweet. Yeah I actually looked into lowering the payments and it seems more reasonable
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Car Info: 06 FXT 6MT, 07 STi limited SWP
Originally Posted by Hobosexual
Sweet. Yeah I actually looked into lowering the payments and it seems more reasonable
Yeah. It's a good idea if either the payments you have now are too difficult to manage, or if you want to pay less interest. Given you have loans where you don't get penalized for paying off early, lowering your payments and extending the term makes it easy to chip in larger payments and pay off the principal faster, leaving you with less interest to pay in the end. It's what I did with my car and I calculated it to under $500 in interest the bank got out of me.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
plot twist: depressed and in debt; OP kills himself after an onslaught of harsh criticism and personal attacks from online forum mob.

seriously, let's show some respect to each other.

plot twist plot twist: he faked his own death after learning that he can only get rid of student loans by paying off or death from this thread. planed by M. Nightshamamamlalalon all from the start.

moral of the story? MO MONEY, MO PROBLEMS!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by RU-X
plot twist: depressed and in debt; OP kills himself after an onslaught of harsh criticism and personal attacks from online forum mob.

seriously, let's show some respect to each other.

plot twist plot twist: he faked his own death after learning that he can only get rid of student loans by paying off or death from this thread. planed by M. Nightshamamamlalalon all from the start.

moral of the story? MO MONEY, MO PROBLEMS!
Ok dean koontz............

Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Car Info: Reason
I respect the general opinion that it is responsible to make good on your promises as an adult. The true motivation for asking this was to see whether or not there are any like minded people that would agree that loans are a part of an incorporated system where there is NO person on the other end. And this system is part of a bigger system where corporations screw over the average adult, in America and in other places. For me not wanting to pay back a loan is more of wanting to 'stick it to the corp' who is screwing over millions of people vs shirking my responsibilities and obligations as an 'adult.' Probably a question for a different kind of forum.
or, you could have asked that question expressly in the first place instead of backpedaling now. thanks, but I'll continue to agree with mine and others' assessment that you have a patently false understanding of reality.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by buzzword
or, you could have asked that question expressly in the first place instead of backpedaling now. thanks, but I'll continue to agree with mine and others' assessment that you have a patently false understanding of reality.
I could give 2 ****s about what you or others think lol.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Well i think thats just swell. Just swell ol sport.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
I could give 2 ****s about what you or others think lol.
Then why did you post your **** here? I think this thread should morph into the bay I-club fail thread.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Well i think thats just swell. Just swell ol sport.

Once i weed through all the horse**** people say, there is some good input. Some people on here should stick to Nasioc or keep **** riding
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
We drive Subarus, We are the 1% I think a Honda or Chevy forum would generate a more sympathetic response.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
We drive Subarus, We are the 1% I think a Honda or Chevy forum would generate a more sympathetic response.
Very, very astute.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
at this thread. Pay it off.

It is a fantastic feeling when you make that final payment!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Car Info: WRX
Once i weed through all the horse**** people say, there is some good input. Some people on here should stick to Nasioc or keep **** riding
What's funny is you think people on here trying to open your eyes is horse****. Take a step back. Could we be right about you? Think about that before you automatically dismiss it.

Yes, giving up your car would be hard to do. But it would pay off most your debt, and save you money on gas since you're looking for a commuter. That would potentially be the best solution for your future. But are you willing to make a sacrifice?

No one is trying to harm you. But if you choose to have selective hearing and only listen to what people say when they are in agreement, or propose a solution that you think is in line with your train of thought then you can't hold it against us if we fire back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)