Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Really? You're on a Subaru Impreza forum, claiming you also own a BMW, and this is a question? Entitled much? Welcome to life, it sucks sometimes, but get your priorities straight and it may make it a bit easier.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Entitlement. Afford the car you want, but dat free education.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 PM

Car Info: car
I respect the general opinion that it is responsible to make good on your promises as an adult. The true motivation for asking this was to see whether or not there are any like minded people that would agree that loans are a part of an incorporated system where there is NO person on the other end. And this system is part of a bigger system where corporations screw over the average adult, in America and in other places. For me not wanting to pay back a loan is more of wanting to 'stick it to the corp' who is screwing over millions of people vs shirking my responsibilities and obligations as an 'adult.' Probably a question for a different kind of forum.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by Hobosexual
I respect the general opinion that it is responsible to make good on your promises as an adult. The true motivation for asking this was to see whether or not there are any like minded people that would agree that loans are a part of an incorporated system where there is NO person on the other end. And this system is part of a bigger system where corporations screw over the average adult, in America and in other places. For me not wanting to pay back a loan is more of wanting to 'stick it to the corp' who is screwing over millions of people vs shirking my responsibilities and obligations as an 'adult.' Probably a question for a different kind of forum.
The corporation you are sticking it to is the government. The government gets money from tax payers. Transitive property, you are screwing tax payers. What do you mean there are no people on the other end?

By screw over do you mean pay for education when you don't have the means to? You are naive. You aren't listening to what people are saying. I was being nice before. You are wrong. Dead wrong. Grow up. You are spoiled and your priorities are all sorts of ****ed up. At last admit it to yourself. I hope you don't raise children with the same frame mind.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 AM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by Baliztik
The corporation you are sticking it to is the government. The government gets money from tax payers. Transitive property, you are screwing tax payers. What do you mean there are no people on the other end?

By screw over do you mean pay for education when you don't have the means to? You are naive. You aren't listening to what people are saying. I was being nice before. You are wrong. Dead wrong. Grow up. You are spoiled and your priorities are all sorts of ****ed up. At last admit it to yourself. I hope you don't raise children with the same frame mind.
If you were my kid I'd beat you with a stick
Old 06-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
A company (or the government), who does not know you, is offering to let you borrow tens of thousands of dollars, hoping you'll pay it back. And if it's the government, interest free until I believe 6 months after you graduate. Interest is paying them for that risk. People who are higher risk increase the interest rate, because of the higher risk. This is all common knowledge, right?

Now, your way of thinking of "sticking it to the corp" is one just another reason why interest rates are "screwing over the average adult." Your way of thinking will only continue to increase interest rates for future people wanting to borrow money because more statistics will show a higher risk in student loans.

Your logic is about as smart as a food waiter/waitress giving poor service to teenagers because they believe they won't tip well, and then *****ing about a bad tip after receiving such. You're creating, or making worse, the own scenario you're complaining about.

Not paying what you owe back to "stick it to the man" sounds like a poor excuse to not take responsibility for your actions. You chose to take the loans, with the certain parameters.

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 06-17-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon
The true motivation for asking this was to see whether or not there are any like minded people that would agree that loans are a part of an incorporated system where there is NO person on the other end.
You may have received a better response if you asked that instead of:

"Anyone know of a better way to avoid bad credit? I've looked into consolidating but I'm not sure if it is worth it. My current credit is EXCELLENT but all this school debt is pissing me off"
Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 AM

If you were my kid you I would never let you end up so entitled. It's people like you I have no respect for. I bet you paid for your down payment with school loans. Seeing as how you aren't making payments on your school loans which can't be more than 28k and are driving around a newer Subaru means you got the money from somewhere. Nice car bro. Sick mods. Oh wait it was all paid for by the government indirectly? You didn't work hard at all for any of it? Oh... yeah I don't respect that at all.

Way to John Kerry flip flop your tone after you realized people wouldn't jump on your naive government hating bandwagon. It's people like you who refuse to change and learn that make America worse. Like sti owns evo said. It's a problem that compounds itself.

Last edited by Baliztik; 06-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
But if you were your kid you'd tell him buy a couple expensive cars, tell them to take out loans for school and not pay them back.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
This thread is getting redundant.
Can we all agree to save the gangbang for trenhard?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by subysteez
This thread is getting redundant.
Can we all agree to save the gangbang for trenhard?
trenhard is not even as bad as this guy.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Baliztiks jimmies are severely rustled. Let it go bro. I think OP got the point.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Baliztiks jimmies are severely rustled. Let it go bro. I think OP got the point.
I don't think he does. But the majority of you on here are educated, and have educated him. So I guess there's hope in the world.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
He didn't say that going to school is wrong, just that the expectation that going to school = some level of success and financial stability is wrong.

No doubt that going to school gives you better chances in life, but that job and salary are NOT guaranteed. This is what kids need to get over...

Parents for sure haven't prepped their kids well in this regard. I have had plenty of young family members say things like "I'm going to X school, get Y degree and then make Z money" and I quickly make sure to tell them that NOTHING is guaranteed. Going to school helps position yourselve better vs others perhaps, but nothing is owed to someone who goes to school. Even Med school, or getting a PHD. Nothing is owed to anyone.

Well, the money one borrows is owed back to the lender
I sat next to a family at a restaurant the other day. One of the kids was at the table essentially saying the same thing. Talking crap about second tier schools and things like that. Saying someone's choice to go to princeton was stupid because it wasn't as good as where he was going. Blah blah blah. Lawyer... private sector... my degree equals higher pay... blah blah. I'm so smart they're so dumb... blah blah.

Made me sick. I literally stuff my food down my face paid and left. I couldn't listen to it anymore. Kids mom kept looking over me. I wanted to get up and slap the kid in the head.

I honestly wish I had a degree. If I had a degree along with my experience I wouldn't have the work issues I have and I'd quite honestly make $25-45k a year more. but still....

Quick Reply: Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)