Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)

Old 06-14-2014, 11:37 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by subysteez
No. What's depressing is the fact that we are the only developed country that shafts young academics, saddling them disproportionate amounts of debt.
Not everyone needs college. Whats the point of racking up debt and doing 7 years to only end up in a 40k a year job? I knew college wasn't for me after I did Foothill/DeAnza for 2 years so I decided to continue to work and do trade school. Too many kids nowadays aren't willing to work their way through school.

I don't want to be a dick but OP got a loan for college and now drives a 20k+ Subaru and commutes 300 miles a week. Seems like he's not willing to compromise. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Stop letting the debt bother you. Get a better job/work your way up and continue to allocate money to pay your debt. Eventually you'll pay it off. You'd cry if I told you how much medical debt I had but eventually it all gets paid off. Filing for bankruptcy and not paying back your obligations shows incredibly bad character in most cases.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 06-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Not everyone needs college. Whats the point of racking up debt and doing 7 years to only end up in a 40k a year job? I knew college wasn't for me after I did Foothill/DeAnza for 2 years so I decided to continue to work and do trade school. Too many kids nowadays aren't willing to work their way through school.

I don't want to be a dick but OP got a loan for college and now drives a 20k+ Subaru and commutes 300 miles a week. Seems like he's not willing to compromise. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Stop letting the debt bother you. Get a better job/work your way up and continue to allocate money to pay your debt. Eventually you'll pay it off. You'd cry if I told you how much medical debt I had but eventually it all gets paid off. Filing for bankruptcy and not paying back your obligations shows incredibly bad character in most cases.
This is a moral thing.... not character. It shows an intelligent means to an end. Why bust my *** to payback all this debt when i can clearly cut corners and find a way around it, just as you would if you could not payback medical bills. **** these dumb societal rules that we "need" to follow.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 2011 swp wrx 5dr
undergrad - i owed 15k. I paid it off in 1.5 years.
now in grad school - I owe 100k.

I bought a house at age 26. I am now 29.

It also helps if the degree that you are getting in will almost guarantee that you will get a job after graduation and make way more annually than your loans.

Don't be a dick. You signed a loan with a contract of paying it off. It helps if you have a plan prior to taking out the loan and being smart with finances. Live like you are unemployed for 2-3 years and pay it off asap.

Last edited by markyboi; 06-14-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex

Just because you didn't find your education immediately valuable, doesn't mean it woudlnt have benefited you in the long run. You'll never know.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by markyboi
undergrad - i owed 15k. I paid it off in 1.5 years.
now in grad school - I owe 100k.

I bought a house at age 26. I am now 29.

It also helps if the degree that you are getting in will almost guarantee that you will get a job after graduation and make way more annually than your loans.

Don't be a dick. You signed a loan with a contract of paying it off. It helps if you have a plan prior to taking out the loan and being smart with finances. Live like you are unemployed for 2-3 years and pay it off asap.
Ego much.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Sedan
^^^
Old 06-14-2014, 03:12 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
I hardly think he was showing off with his post. If anything its pretty damn accurate on two things. Pick a major you know will guarantee you good money and pay off your debt by living like you're a broke college student.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I'm going to say this, and say it once:

Grown-ups pay their bills, even if they don't want to

Old 06-14-2014, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Like others have pointed out, you cannot default on this, not even bankruptcy will forgive it. If you stop paying they can garnish your wages and/or seize property.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I can't even believe what I'm reading in this thread.

Sell your car, buy a $1000 beater. That should get you a decent dent against your debt.

What school did you go to and what did you major in?

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 06-15-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:57 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
That's why you knuckleheads should have joined the military instead of getting neck deep in debt, for a mediocre education and mediocre wages....I have GI bill money that I haven't even used yet.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by Hobosexual
So i owe a **** ton of money for students loans
Im considering not paying it back ever and saying FTW. Anyone know of a better way to avoid bad credit? I've looked into consolidating but I'm not sure if it is worth it. My current credit is EXCELLENT but all this school debt is pissing me off
What did you graduate with?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by SR20steve
That's why you knuckleheads should have joined the military instead of getting neck deep in debt, for a mediocre education and mediocre wages....I have GI bill money that I haven't even used yet.
I went in... tested... tested in the top 5 percent. They asked what my goals where... I said to fly. Apparently with my medical history I would not be allowed to fly. I told them to take a hike. LOL!

Use that GI bill before they figure out how to take it away.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Student loans you **** yourself with. I'm not ****ed, I have some, but basically this is a payment that you cannot just "default" on, you cannot go bankrupt on this and erase it. You're stuck with it and it will eat you if you dont pay it back, or work at some place for student loan forgiveneness (I work in a title 1 'poor area' as a teacher).
Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Car Info: Reason
you signed your name on a piece of paper that said "we are giving you money now, and you will give it back later with x.xx% interest."

so, do what you said you would do. be a man. men keep their promises. if you disagree, you probably DO lack some character, despite your previous assertions.

the people on the other end of that piece of paper fulfilled their end of the bargain, so now it's your turn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)