question for i-club parents...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
question for i-club parents...

Currently seeing what's out there as a replacement vehicle for when the time comes. Currently daily driving a 2015 brz and my fiance is daily driving her e90 m3. I may need a larger vehicle for work in the next couple of months. Not planning on having kids for at least another 2-3 years.

Been shopping around and test drove both the 2015 forester xt touring with eyesight and 2015 Wrx. Haven't gotten a chance to test drive the 15 sti yet.

I'm trying to convince the boss that the wrx/sti has enough trunk space for a stroller (maybe double stroller) plus diaper bag and all the other crap you need with kids. Surprisingly the trunk looked pretty huge.

The m3 is automatic so I think both of us would miss having a manual car.

Had a 06 sti and 02 Wrx wagon before. Miss the rumble. Considering the sti. Also considering a 11-14 Wrx/sti hatchback.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I can fit a stroller in the trunk of my GD STI no problem.
BUT - I wish I had a hatchback for kid stuff. My Wife's Hyundai Elantra Touring is about as small as I would recommend going for kid storage.

My suggestion is to have a kid-specific travel car. You really need an Automatic Transmission and to keep a lot of random crap around.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
We have 2 kids and our 07 Wrx had plenty of space but lacked trunk space for larger items but when we bought our 14 Wrx hatchback it really solved our urge for performance while being very practical
Old 04-26-2015, 02:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
2012 forester

took two kiddos to disneyland in december/january along with the double stroller, 4 days worth of stuff, and it all fit in my trunk with plenty of room still above it all

we also went up to mt shasta and my trunk looked pretty packed with clothes for snow.

Name:  bp8v5UT.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  503 Bytes

and if you still need more room, an 18cubic foot cargo box does the trick, especially for camping

Name:  F2F2SCf.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  42.2 KB

Last edited by Rescuer; 04-26-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
we have the GD sti it can do but is limited. We also have a malibu and it has plenty of room. we would like to off the malibu and get a XV or a forester.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
I guess that depends on how many other people and/or kids you have to accommodate or how much stuff you own/need to bring with you every time?

There are single kid couples that need full size minivans or SUVs because they help taxi neighborhood kids around to various practices, help with family affairs or just have warped senses of a required "safest" vehicle sizing (aka nothing smaller than Suburban). And then there are single kid couple that get away with Corollas and Golfs...
Old 04-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
I bought a 2015 Forester XT Touring for this very reason. I couldn't be happier with it for family duties. Tons of more room then my previous hatch. It's also really responsive to mods invade you're scared of being stuck stock .

Careful with the first gen eye sight there is dozens of threads on it not responding very well in real world situations.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Why not get a 4 door F80 M3? comes in manual and has lots of space, definitely ok for a family of 3-4
better mileage than the e90 and better daily as its got more tq and more compliant suspension
Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I guess that depends on how many other people and/or kids you have to accommodate or how much stuff you own/need to bring with you every time?

There are single kid couples that need full size minivans or SUVs because they help taxi neighborhood kids around to various practices, help with family affairs or just have warped senses of a required "safest" vehicle sizing (aka nothing smaller than Suburban). And then there are single kid couple that get away with Corollas and Golfs...

I would imagine just me and just 2-3 kids in the span of the next 5-10 years though. I tend to get rid of my cars every few years but I'd think a designated family vehicle I could see keeping until the wheels fall of.

Right now I just need space for my hockey bag and stick.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 PM

Car Info: 2012 DGM WRX
We have 6 month old twins and our 2012 WRX hatch has more than enough room...for now. We're looking at getting a second, bigger, car within the next year or so.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
Even with one six month old. My 04 wagon barely fits a rear facing seat and base. CanT barely fit my jogging stroller. It's doable but you'll feel more safer in a forester.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Forester sounds like a winning plan, but any thought to an Outback if more room or leg space needed?

Either way, cargo box does help a bunch for those trips where you end up packing mucho ish.

We ended up doing an Outback to pair up with my GD STi.

Good luck deciding!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by CHESTON
Forester sounds like a winning plan, but any thought to an Outback if more room or leg space needed?

Either way, cargo box does help a bunch for those trips where you end up packing mucho ish.

We ended up doing an Outback to pair up with my GD STi.

Good luck deciding!
I looked at the outback briefly. But even the 3.6r seems pretty disappointing.

I would like to have a reliable daily that I can occasionally auto x, possibly rally x and maybe even road race that can be practical enough that I won't hate loading a kid or 2 into and take to the park. Seems that my vehicle priorities are in that order haha. I figure I could get a cargo box for whatever bs I need that isn't the stroller and baby stuff.

For some reason I believe the cargo space in the 15 sedan is larger or at least wider than a 11-14 hatch.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
Can't speak from having kids standpoint, but I can speak from having a 2015 WRX and hockey gear. Seems like the 2016 WRX or STI would fit you best, has decent space and able to take to the track, rallyx, autox etc. I have no problem fitting my gear in my trunk and the rear seat room is good. I would say its more like mid size sedan size now. If you're concerned about eyesight and all the newest generation eyesight is coming on the 2016 for certain models, with the cvt limited getting everything. I will say if you are looking for a power response similar to the STI you previously had, go for the STI. I'm probably going to be upgrading in the next year or so.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Rescuer
2012 forester

took two kiddos to disneyland in december/january along with the double stroller, 4 days worth of stuff, and it all fit in my trunk with plenty of room still above it all
HOLY CRAP!! how much did that cost you?!?!?!?

its $100 to get in per person!

Quick Reply: question for i-club parents...