Pulled over for speeding - will you admit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 2020 STI
I always tell a simi truth...they usually ask me if I know why I was stopped, I tell them probably because I was speeding; they ask how fast I was going and I say I dunno since I'm focused on the road not my speedometer....they make me guess a speed I say 85, and they tell me my actual speed or a bs one...and usually write me up for 75, 80 or 85....
Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Never admit guilt to a Police Officer... EVER under any circumstance.

The officer has already decided if you are getting a ticket before you are pulled over.
If he asked you "do you know how fast you were going?" The answer is "What did you clock me at?"
Old 07-31-2014, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 04 WRB Sti/05 Titan
The only drawback in contesting a ticket is you give up your right to traffic school and risk putting a point on your record. Will have to wait until I get the actual summons and find out how much I have to pay. Being recently laid off from work, I have more time than money
Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by LoanPro
The only drawback in contesting a ticket is you give up your right to traffic school and risk putting a point on your record. Will have to wait until I get the actual summons and find out how much I have to pay. Being recently laid off from work, I have more time than money
go into court to contest. I didn't lose my traffic school right. I actually gained it lol
Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by 04GG
That's bull. Depends on the cop and how he feels that day. Plus if you are doing something stupid in conjunction with speeding (weaving, obviously racing, etc...) your chances are a lot higher.
Whats bull about what i said? You are basically reiterating part of what i said.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Lowend
Never admit guilt to a Police Officer... EVER under any circumstance.

The officer has already decided if you are getting a ticket before you are pulled over.
If he asked you "do you know how fast you were going?" The answer is "What did you clock me at?"
+1,This. Dunno what everyone else is on about, but you simply never admit guilt. It's your constitutional right, so exercise it.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
Originally Posted by Lowend

Uhhhh. No...

But never say what speed you were going. Never guesstimate. Just say, the whole I was concentrating on the road and traffic. Be nice.

But what do I know...
Old 07-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by Heedz
I've recently had no issues.
Speeding in a rig doesn't count dood
Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
I usually tell the truth. Got me out of all my speeding tickets except for 1 where i passed a cop going 80 in lake tahoe.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
ouch man... hope things work out for you regardless if you choose to contest or not.

on a side note.. nice to see you back online again. haven't seen nor heard from you since the UCKK meets.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
If you choose to fight it, I can help.
Elaborate
Old 07-31-2014, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
This thread demonstrates how it's all about the luck of the attitude of the LEO. There is no guaranteed best course of action.

A LEO who didn't pace you and doesn't have you on radar will also ask you how fast you were going and let you incriminate yourself. It's all a toss up, and they have the upper hand.

Even going 74 mph got pulled over a lot especially back in 2009 when they were trying to make up their budget shortfalls with citations. So it all depends.

(this post is not a commentary on speeding)
Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
..........why woud you say 70?

Your answer is XX(speed limit). but... the right answer is

"What speed did you clock me at sir?" and if he says anything other than the exact speed limit you say nothing. Make him defend himself, not you defend yourself. Worst case you end up with a speeding ticket (VERY easy to beat in court) best case he lets you go.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:29 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Hobosexual
Elaborate
You go down to the courthouse, and file a "Motion of Discovery". In it you ask for a copy of the officers license, his last training certs, the patrol cars last inspection, the speedometer calibration, the certification of the tech that calibrated it, the calibration machines certification, The techs last training date and grade...

You file for and ask for more information than they can get you, and even in the event they manage to get you everything, something in there will be fouled up. That is all it takes...If:

a)They can't get you the information = "I can not adequately defend myself your honor, the state is withholding critical information to my defense." = dismissal

b)bad info = "your honor as you can see here the officers patrol car was out of cert, and the calibration of the speedometer was out of date. Therefor it was reading far too fast and in fact showing a incorrect speed at the time." = dismissal

I have used both.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB Wagon + MR2s
Originally Posted by awdorgtfo
Friend and I got caught doing 110..racing. I told the truth and he lowered it to 80. YMMV
Same here. I got caught going 115+ mph. I still got a ticket but the mph was lowered so I can still attend traffic school.

I got caught going 45 mph on a 25 mph road at a Sequoia National Park. He asked if I knew how fast I was going ... 45 mph. Did I know what the posted speed limit is ... 25 mph. He give me a warning.

Two years ago at Everglade National Park. I was going 10 mph over the speed limit. I passed a cop car and looking in the reverse mirror, I saw him flipped a u-turn. I decided just to pull over. I admitted to speeding, and I got a warning.

Knock on wood. My first/last speeding ticket was 12+ years ago ...

Quick Reply: Pulled over for speeding - will you admit?