Pink slip/title transfer help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM VF34, 08 WRB FSXT
Pink slip/title transfer help

So basically I paid the car off but it was under my dads name. He gets the pink slip in the mail and signs it leaving me to fill out the rest of the info to have the title transferred to me. My question....is there a certain amount to put down so I don't get taxed as much? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by WRXdavid
So basically I paid the car off but it was under my dads name. He gets the pink slip in the mail and signs it leaving me to fill out the rest of the info to have the title transferred to me. My question....is there a certain amount to put down so I don't get taxed as much? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Pretty sure from family member to family member there's no tax or smog. Let me see if I can get you more info.

Found it:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr1.htm
Old 10-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
I believe he can gift it to you... something like that .... only thing is that you may want to wait to do that until you are within 90 days of your next smog check requirement. California law states you must smog the car before a new owner can take it over.... smog is valid for 90 days for registration or title transfer.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM VF34, 08 WRB FSXT
well it's a good thing that my registration was due and I got my car smogged today. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
well it's a good thing that my registration was due and I got my car smogged today. Thanks for the info guys!
wouldn't have mattered

Originally Posted by DMV Website
How Is a Family Member Transfer Different from a Regular Transfer?

There are three primary differences between regular transfers and family member transfers:

1. A regular transfer requires smog certification in most cases before the vehicle can be registered in the new owner's name. A family member transfer does not require smog certification (See Smog Certification section) if the vehicle is currently registered and the biennial smog inspection is not due.

2. On a regular transfer, use tax based on the purchase price of the vehicle is due at the time of transfer. A family transfer is exempt from use tax with the exception of a transfer between siblings who are not minors. Transfers between siblings are exempt from smog certification regardless of age, unless a biennial smog is required.

3. A regular transfer requires the department to reestablish the vehicle value (reclassify) to determine the appropriate Vehicle License Fee due. The license fee is based on the purchase price or current market value of the vehicle. A transfer between family members is exempt from reclassification of the vehicle value.

To establish eligibility for the use tax or reclassification exemption, be sure to let the department know that this is a family member transfer.
Congrats on paying off the car
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
****ing great to hear David!! We should celebrate some time. She is finally yours, and not the bank's property.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
You may (or may not) want to be careful about the value you claim the car to be to DMV. My grandfather just gave me his 97 Jetta and I put a value of $10. The DMV lady told me I might not have wanted to put that because if something happens insurance will look at the value I claimed for DMV. Now Im not sure if I should believe her or not, cause I wad told insurance went off the blue book value of the car or other value guides. First time hearing they look at the value you claimed the car to DMV.

Also, which doesnt matter anymore but good to know, the family member to family member transfer not requiring smog theres two things to know about it. One, youd need to fill out another form for this (no biggie). Two, if its that bi-annual time where the car requires smog, youll still need to smog the car.

Congrats on paying the car off! I just paid mine off this year so I know the feeling
Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by 04Impreza
You may (or may not) want to be careful about the value you claim the car to be to DMV. My grandfather just gave me his 97 Jetta and I put a value of $10. The DMV lady told me I might not have wanted to put that because if something happens insurance will look at the value I claimed for DMV. Now Im not sure if I should believe her or not, cause I wad told insurance went off the blue book value of the car or other value guides. First time hearing they look at the value you claimed the car to DMV.
It's blue book. she knows whats going on and is trying to scare you into paying more for taxes
Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Originally Posted by rau
It's blue book. she knows whats going on and is trying to scare you into paying more for taxes
Thanks Walter for confirming. I was about 95% sure that's what she was doing. I told her it had sentimental value that couldn't be priced