Paul Walker dead in car accident..... RIP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Here's an even better one than trying to profit off his death. These people are IDIOTS.

Westboro Baptist Church *******s Plan Paul Walker Funeral Protest
Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Heedz
Out of all of this...... This happened to be posted on facebook earlier by a friend of mine,

"I am so amused by all the shops/auto parts resellers, and self promoters out there trying to make money and gain popularity off of Paul Walkers death. It's sad that I live in a time where people need to take every angle they can take when it comes to marketing, even someones death. The meet that happened in Milpitas last night was such garbage and I knew the *** who threw it was just trying to promote his company, and that all came out in his thank you post the next day. I am glad I have not stooped to a level so low that I find it a necessity and an open door to try and market and prosper off someones death. There is so many other things that I have seen in the last 2 short days regarding this tragedy and peoples/companies greed that it is unbelievable, but it has helped me to clean up my Facebook pages and people I do business with."
Lame, I also saw a video on FB that I don't want to repost with Tyrese at the accident spot trying to show his respect and dude was crying with a million onlookers all having their cellphones in his face. Luckily I lost faith in humans a long time ago or else this might have pushed me over the edge. It was so sickening.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Originally Posted by apetron
The car is designed to split in half in a side impact and doesn't have to be a high speed/massive impact to cause it.
There's plenty of pictures of CGT's crashed on the internet, even one side impact that killed both passengers. None of them split into two pieces. I'm not sure where you're getting info that this car was designed to split in two.

Roger slammed into a pole which caused the car to split up. I don't think any car would have done well with the speed the Porsche was traveling at. I also don't think Porsche designed the car for this type of impact, clearly.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by jdblock
There's plenty of pictures of CGT's crashed on the internet, even one side impact that killed both passengers. None of them split into two pieces. I'm not sure where you're getting info that this car was designed to split in two.

Roger slammed into a pole which caused the car to split up. I don't think any car would have done well with the speed the Porsche was traveling at. I also don't think Porsche designed the car for this type of impact, clearly.
Any of the rear engine "super cars" are designed as a two piece structure where the front passenger section is a carbon tub, and the rear section houses the motor etc.

In a crash, they are designed to separate from the carbon tub to help prevent the motor from going into the passenger compartment. Very similar to how front engined cars are designed to have the motor assembly and subframe separate and drop down in frontal collisions to prevent the motor from entering the passenger compartment.

You can see in the photo below how the passenger tub is separate from the rear of the car. The rear frame attaches to the car just behind the rear firewall.

Just because other GTs have crashed and not split does not mean it isn't designed to do so.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
^^^Yes.

There is no way that makes any sense, and in today's world, when the computers are off, more power definitely does mean more accidents.

I don't agree, and never will. I'm more cautious with 300hp, than I was with 110hp.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
It doesn't really matter how much HP a car has, once you exceed the vehicle's capabilities or your own, you are just along for the ride and what happens. 30mph can still kill you.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by apetron
Any of the rear engine "super cars" are designed as a two piece structure where the front passenger section is a carbon tub, and the rear section houses the motor etc.

In a crash, they are designed to separate from the carbon tub to help prevent the motor from going into the passenger compartment. Very similar to how front engined cars are designed to have the motor assembly and subframe separate and drop down in frontal collisions to prevent the motor from entering the passenger compartment.

You can see in the photo below how the passenger tub is separate from the rear of the car. The rear frame attaches to the car just behind the rear firewall.

Just because other GTs have crashed and not split does not mean it isn't designed to do so.

I could see Porsche designing the bolts that hold the two chassis parts together to break, but that is not what happened in this crash. The impact into a pole is what fractured the tub center of the door. It didn't break in two as you're describing it should have, keeping the tub complete, the crash was outside the scope of Porsche's design. If the impact into the pole was farther back on the car, then the car may have come apart where you say it was designed.

Cars like the CGT are made from more than one assembly because of carbon manufacturing requirements more so than for passenger safety. Not every carbon tub made makes it into a car, some tubs are junked because of flaws. So its better to make the car from multiple parts on a cost analysis perspective. I'm still sceptical that Porsche designed this car to break in two based off of one photo.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.

No car is.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I'm more cautious with 300hp, than I was with 110hp.
You mean to say "less capable" - not that there's anything wrong with that. Disagreeing is perfectly fine as well, of course.

Originally Posted by 04GG
It doesn't really matter how much HP a car has, once you exceed the vehicle's capabilities or your own, you are just along for the ride and what happens. 30mph can still kill you.
Yes, exactly.

Also, the discussion on the construction and crash-worthiness of the CGT has gotten silly. We all have our ideas of how it works, and we all hate to be wrong. Got it. Stop prease?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Lame, I also saw a video on FB that I don't want to repost with Tyrese at the accident spot trying to show his respect and dude was crying with a million onlookers all having their cellphones in his face. Luckily I lost faith in humans a long time ago or else this might have pushed me over the edge. It was so sickening.
Seriously. The problem is that we have dehumanized celebrities. They are there for our entertainment. No one is going to respect that moment when they can sell that video or that photo to star for $15k.

It makes me sick.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04GG
Here's an even better one than trying to profit off his death. These people are IDIOTS.

Westboro Baptist Church *******s Plan Paul Walker Funeral Protest
sorry but someone needs to burn that place to the ground.

Paul has done more for those in need than every member of that bassackwards church combined.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
You mean to say "less capable"

I meant what I wrote. I'm more than capable to drive my car at 100%, on a racetrack.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by UKn00b
Very sad news on both accounts, I only met Roger once Paul on the other hand I met a bunch of times from telling stories over a keg after an event to him driving our car for fun bare footed in a huge open lot and scaring the **** out of himself in it! A all around down to earth good dude!
werd.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
seen it all over face book. the whole world doesn't exist on i-club. Seen it all over the media. Seen it all over instagram. And there are a few posts in this thread that drift in to that area.

I don't understand why it needs to come up. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people talk **** about FnF and owe he must have been street racing. Etc.

I actually drove right by the accident area on Sunday. I was in orange county over the weekend. I heard it everywhere from the hotel diner eating breakfast to the gas station.

And I read probably 5-7 posts that were pointlessly talking **** or going off in that direction...

Like I said before. Doesn't really matter. They were both good guys. Paul was as nice as they come. They bolt loved fast cars. They both had tons of behind the wheel experience. No one was street racing.

They were more than likely doing what ALL of us have done from time to time... going out for a joy ride in a new toy.

Okay ray calm down, I wasnt saying the whole world exists on i-club, but when you come crashing into a thread all pissed and starting with...

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I don't understand wtf you guys are talking about.
Its pretty clear you're talking about this thread and not something you saw on instagram/facebook.

Anyhow everyone here is cool. Lets all just try to not start drama where there isnt any. Peace.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:58 AM
General Pimpin'

meh. positive vibes.

Continue with your discussions. I'm bummed at the loss. They were both good dudes.

I'm out.

Last edited by OneManArmy; 12-03-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Paul Walker dead in car accident..... RIP!