Parking in Davis (near UC Davis)???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
Parking in Davis (near UC Davis)???

I'm going to be going to UC Davis next year, and would seriously like to take my car, but understand that the university wont sell freshmen parking

Can anyone reccommend a nearby parking garage? or someplace that i could park my car close to the university?

I don't want it for during the week or anything, but would like it for weekends, especially given thunderhill is so close.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Totally random, but the reason I finally decided to go to Davis was because of the car specialization in the ME program - seems ironic that w/ cars being at least a semi-big thing w/ Engineering there that they don't allow you to bring your car :/

And finally, how many people on here go to Davis? - and are any of you in Engineering? - ME?

(wasn't sure whether to post here or in Sac forums, but i figure this gets more traffic...?)

:TiA:

Thanx
Brian
Old 04-28-2005, 03:30 PM
VIP Member

huh? never heard of no parking for freshmen. But if you live on campus in the dorms, you can't get a parking pass to park in the campus lots (for faculty/students/etc) . You can, however, park in the dorm parking lots.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

O really... I must be reading it wrong, and so must my friend :banana:

I would be living in the dorms, and if there really are these "dorm parking lots" that I can use then that answers my question and makes me quite happy

TY!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
I'm in ME but not at Davis. I'm planning to transfer there after another year, here at ucr.

I visit Davis often and it seems like you can find some good street parking. But the cops are pretty **** there, I was followed to my friend's house twice in the same night.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kravdra
O really... I must be reading it wrong, and so must my friend :banana:

I would be living in the dorms, and if there really are these "dorm parking lots" that I can use then that answers my question and makes me quite happy

TY!
interesting... guess things have changed since I was a freshmen. Damn, I just realized it's been 10 years... LOL
Old 04-28-2005, 03:59 PM

well I graduated in 94, but I believe they won't sell parking permits to freshman who aren't living on campus. On the other hand I wouldn't want to park a nice car on campus. Break-ins are VERY common. You can get ANYWHERE in town on a bike....seriously its like one of the most bike-friendly town on the planet. there's a bike rack in front of every classroom, every store, just everywhere. If you're going to live off-campus, just park it at home, and bike to class. that's what 99% of the people do.

I'm pretty sure you have to pay for dorm parking but yes, they have parking for students living in dorms.

and as far as **** cops go, they'll ticket you for having an unresigeterd bike...huge moneymaker over there...I actually fought it, and they droped it before I was able to get in front of a judge...they didn't want me setting a precident. Just remember some of the people giving out tickets aren't cops. If a security officer pulls you over to ticket you, they're not within their authority...they get away with it 99% of the time, but really they can only ticket your bike when its parked...not when you're on it and they have to stop you....they have no authority to do so...still they try.

Last edited by Blarg; 04-28-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
yeah i graduated 03. they used to have parking lots in the segudo area for the segundo building residents, but since they built the new dorm building, guess where the new dorm sits? on the parking lot. its gonna be hard to find parking anywhere, unless you buy a parking permit and park your car in the rec hall lots. other than that, find some non freshman who lives in apts, and see if you can rent their spot, or park on their street.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:12 PM
VIP Member

One of my friends rented out a garage space in an apartment compex in South Davis. I can't remember the name of the complex, but it's the one on richards across the street from Wendy's.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

"IIncoming [sic] freshmen living on campus will neither be allowed to bring their cars, nor will they be able to purchase a campus parking permit." - http://www.housing.ucdavis.edu/TEXT/T_Halls/FAQ.htm

So, I believe I was correct - and so is thebing

thebing: I thought about trying to do that, but don't really know how/where to begin... thus I'm hoping someone can point me to a place I can buy parking, or maybe to someone who they know who doesn't have a car and would be willing to sell their spot.

TY all!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

doodoo: Although I'm not really sure how to look into that, that is what I'm looking for!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:20 PM

So are you commuting to davis or are you staying in an apartment in Davis? Anyway, i guess you can just park on the street near a bus stop. The student run Unitrans bus system is pretty good, a lot of the lines run every 15min so you'll always catch a bus.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:20 PM
VIP Member

Sorry man... I can't remeber the name of the complex.

Try posting in craigslist -- I bet some starving college student up there is willing to sell you his parking space for the right price.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
I graduated in 02 as an ME. I would suggest leaving your car at home for your freshman year. Freshman year can be overwhelming as is w/o the complication of worrying about your car. Experience the dorm lifestyle as much as possible b/c it usually only last for 1 year. After your first year, you will probably live off campus and then it will make sense to have a car. Like others have said, Davis is all about bikes, so buy a $20 beater from a garage sale and have fun w/ all the $ you saved from not having a car!

As far as the ME program, make sure to take internal combustion engines and vehicle dynamics classes. In my vehicle dynamics class we got to see the CHP drift their camaros at 80mph+ and we also had one class at a bar. Nothing like watching car videos and drinking pitchers!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
didn't we have this discussion a few months ago?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

^^^ thats awesome!

I do plan on living in the dorms, I'll probably end up rooming with friends from HS... I don't want my car for during the week, but instead for weekends. And I don't expect to use it every weekend. As far as my car getting broken into, its a 99 OBS, and not really classified as a "nice" car. I plan on using a bike to get around for the most part, but also would like to go to all/most rallyX's, a few track days, and it seems like it would be convenient for doing other activities on the weekends such as skiing.

And I'm looking forward to some of the more fun and car orriented ME classes, tho I guess it'l prolly be a few years till i get around to them.

i'm hoping to get to work on the Formula SAE car, whihc seems like a pretty awesome experience as well!

Quick Reply: Parking in Davis (near UC Davis)???