Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by sigma pi
@queeg9k is pretty freaking awesome.
Fixed that for you.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by queeg9k
OK So I think I found the short. It is where the wiring harness goes under the intake manifold (alternator wires and fuel injector wires and some sort of sensor going into the block). Why the **** do they make it so hard to work on cars. There is a **** ton of room in the engine bay. Why the **** does the harness need to go under the intake manifold?!!? I cant seem to fish it through so I am just gonna cut the whole thing.

Wish me luck. Off to cut a wiring harness in half....
That's a rough spot, especially on a 4x4. If you do not have A/C there is a little more room to work in there but it would still be hard without pulling the intake plenum.

Found this while trying to find the other thing
That looks a lot like the distributer igniter plug from memory but of course I may be wrong. It's the one goes into the side of the distributer. I had to rebuild that plug on both of my Justys.

Here is where I found the short.
That looks like it's going basically between the intake and the pitch-mount bracket. That is a tight spot. Did it look like the harness was compromised? Looks like there was some wear on the protective stuff but nothing obvious in the pics.

Gonna try to cut everything accept for the sensor wire.... wish me luck.
Best of luck! Hope this nails the problem.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Old 05-20-2016, 04:28 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
That's a rough spot, especially on a 4x4. If you do not have A/C there is a little more room to work in there but it would still be hard without pulling the intake plenum.

That looks a lot like the distributer igniter plug from memory but of course I may be wrong. It's the one goes into the side of the distributer. I had to rebuild that plug on both of my Justys.

That looks like it's going basically between the intake and the pitch-mount bracket. That is a tight spot. Did it look like the harness was compromised? Looks like there was some wear on the protective stuff but nothing obvious in the pics.

Best of luck! Hope this nails the problem.
Name:  7T2EF5E.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  862.9 KB

This is right from the wear spot in the first picture. Hacked the harness in half and added a couple feet to hug the firewall instead of going back under the intake manifold.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Dang - nothing like knowing exactly what the problem was, huh? Awesome - looks like you nailed it.

Keep an eye on the wires going to the firewall. The only reason I can think that they may have done that is that the Justy engine tosses fore/aft like a ****. Both my Justys did this. We tried tightening it up a little and swapped in an Impreza pitch mount but it was terrible - like the engine is mounted to your face, and the steering wheel bounces at idle. So I guess it needs to be this way because of the roughness of the 3-cyl. Anyway, take a look at it and make sure there is enough slack. Probably fine but just something I thought to mention.

That's pretty sweet that you got it done. Keep that Justy alive.

Regarding the Battery + Brake lights - with mine, it did that because it threw the alternator belt. Signifies alternator failure, basically. The Justy is rather unique in that the water pump is driven by the crank (same drive system that drives the oil pump - chain drive powered by the crank) so you can actually keep driving without that one belt. The problem was that the belt was thrown because the crank pulley was wobbling. The crank pulley was wobbling because the front broke off the crank shaft. After 10 years and around $10k to keep that thing going "That's about enough Justy for me" so now it belongs to a buddy of mine. I think he found a long block for it recently. It was awesome and I put over 50k miles on that car, went all over in it - several trips that most people would say one would be insane to do in a Justy. Memories for a life time.