Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
If anything, in my eyes, Allen and Tarver have done a great job. I don't think Olsen is any good as a OC.

I think its Reggie who's overrated and doesn't really have the knack for talent that he was touted to have.

You could say he scored on the lowest picks and undrafted guys. But his high picks have been either mediocre or got cut. Last year he wasted a lot of money to keep Carson to back out on the contract he signed... That pissed me off. In my eyes Carson got a raw deal= bad OC and really no talent. Even a slightly better team in AZ has him in the playoff hunt.

No... To me Reggie can go. Get a GM who's really got a knack for talent.

Of this draft doesn't get us a QB and some DE/DL and OL... My head will explode.

We likely will be top 5 in the draft. With the money, and that, this is a big deal to get things squared away once and for all. Get this team righted.

Pryor can be cut. McGloin makes for a decent back up. Need to get a star who's smart. Need a damn smart QB.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
If anything, in my eyes, Allen and Tarver have done a great job. I don't think Olsen is any good as a OC.

I think its Reggie who's overrated and doesn't really have the knack for talent that he was touted to have.

You could say he scored on the lowest picks and undrafted guys. But his high picks have been either mediocre or got cut. Last year he wasted a lot of money to keep Carson to back out on the contract he signed... That pissed me off. In my eyes Carson got a raw deal= bad OC and really no talent. Even a slightly better team in AZ has him in the playoff hunt.

No... To me Reggie can go. Get a GM who's really got a knack for talent.

Of this draft doesn't get us a QB and some DE/DL and OL... My head will explode.

We likely will be top 5 in the draft. With the money, and that, this is a big deal to get things squared away once and for all. Get this team righted.

Pryor can be cut. McGloin makes for a decent back up. Need to get a star who's smart. Need a damn smart QB.

I agree with everything except Pryor. Cutting him would be a huge mistake.

1. He doesn't make that much.
2. He's proven he can play when he's healthy and actually has protection.
3. He's as good an athlete as there is at the QB position and a top 10 athlete at WR. Let him fight for a QB slot. Worst case you carry 3 guys. (if you draft one). And talk to him about moving to WR. 6'6" 4.38 40... and game speed is better than that. There's maybe 5 guys in the NFL that measure up and one of them is Megatron.

You cut him he's gonna end up probably in Philly or possibly San Diego.

That and he's got a fan base already. Let him have a shot. Keep him on the roster.

This draft is stacked at QB and in my opinion... unless you're drafting 1 or 2 you might as well wait for a QB. Draft defense, O-line or WR if you're in that 5-8 slot where they're gonna be. Pick up a QB in the second or event third round. There's that many.

I think they need to pick up one of the TE's. I think they're missing that in a big big way. Mastrud is a decent blocker. Rivera is a reasonable receiver but he's nothing to worry about. They picked up Kasa in the draft but he's nothing right now. There are 2 or 3 game changers in the draft. If they can get someone like Thomas in the draft... basically a big as wr... they can expand the offense to the full field and it will open up the deep *****. i'd rather see them go there than WR.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM
General Pimpin'

If you eliminate the INT's Pryor and McGloin aren't all that different stat wise....

McGloin. 57%. about 250 yards total a game. 6 TD's. 3 INT's. 86 rating.
Pryor. 58.5%. about 200 yards passing a game (full games). But he also adds about 60 yards a game rushing. So total yards... toss up. 5/10... that's the difference. 2 picks for every TD is unacceptable.

He was pretty good before his knee got banged up and he was playing with less help in the RB and WR areas. Remember he was playing with McFadden for the most part.

QB rating about 69 thanks to the picks.

I think he can compete. When he was healthy he was closer to 1/1 in ratio with a rating closer to 80. I think the entire offense changed.

When he was in there they were still trying to run McFadden and they were running more aggressive routes and the o-line was not protecting him.

With McGloin they've toned back the play calling. They've had much much better RB play and much better line play. When there's a run game the DB's can't just sit back there and watch the QB run around. I think if you put Pryor in the offense the way it is right now he'd be much much better than he was the last 3 games he was in there.

He's only 24. I think he stays on the roster. Cutting him would be stupid in my opinion. He still has some big potential at QB or WR...
Old 12-12-2013, 01:54 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Free Oakland Raiders fullback Marcel Reece - NFL.com

"It's hard to figure out why the Oakland Raiders don't hand a larger role to fullback Marcel Reece.

With running back Rashad Jennings expected to return to the lineup this week against the Kansas City Chiefs, Bay Area News Group's Jerry McDonald noted Wednesday that Reece will "again recede into the background" after carrying the load a week ago.

Reece made the most of his opportunity last Sunday, blasting the New York Jets for 123 rushing yards on 19 carries. Against one of the NFL's stingiest run defenses, Reece -- the first back to crack 100 yards against Gang Green all season -- barreled for 6.47 yards per attempt and caught a pair of passes for 38 yards.

I'd love to see the Raiders hand Reece the ball more over these final three games. Darren McFadden is all but done in Oakland, so why not pair Jennings and Reece together down the stretch?

Last season, Reece stepped in for McFadden and Mike Goodson and tore off 261 rushing yards on 54 carries during a four-game clip that showed he's more than a traditional fullback. He's played in fewer than half of the team's snaps this season, but only Mike Tolbert of the Carolina Panthers has more yards on the ground among fullbacks.

With Oakland dancing in the basement of the AFC West, why not unleash the man and find out if Reece deserves more than spot play in 2014?"

Seriously, the guy is a stud and yet it seems like they barely use him unless they absolutely need to, why?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by flukewrx
Free Oakland Raiders fullback Marcel Reece - NFL.com

"It's hard to figure out why the Oakland Raiders don't hand a larger role to fullback Marcel Reece.

With running back Rashad Jennings expected to return to the lineup this week against the Kansas City Chiefs, Bay Area News Group's Jerry McDonald noted Wednesday that Reece will "again recede into the background" after carrying the load a week ago.

Reece made the most of his opportunity last Sunday, blasting the New York Jets for 123 rushing yards on 19 carries. Against one of the NFL's stingiest run defenses, Reece -- the first back to crack 100 yards against Gang Green all season -- barreled for 6.47 yards per attempt and caught a pair of passes for 38 yards.

I'd love to see the Raiders hand Reece the ball more over these final three games. Darren McFadden is all but done in Oakland, so why not pair Jennings and Reece together down the stretch?

Last season, Reece stepped in for McFadden and Mike Goodson and tore off 261 rushing yards on 54 carries during a four-game clip that showed he's more than a traditional fullback. He's played in fewer than half of the team's snaps this season, but only Mike Tolbert of the Carolina Panthers has more yards on the ground among fullbacks.

With Oakland dancing in the basement of the AFC West, why not unleash the man and find out if Reece deserves more than spot play in 2014?"

Seriously, the guy is a stud and yet it seems like they barely use him unless they absolutely need to, why?

Because the dude has always been under rated. I've followed the dudes whole career as a fan. I used to live down where he went to high school.

The dude is a freak of nature and if used to his full potential could probably put up a couple Okoye type years. If used more the raiders could truly be back to being one of the best running teams in the NFL.

He went undrafted because he came in as a WR and he didn't really fit that mold well... big dude. If he was 3 inches taller he'd be one of the top 3 TE's in the NFL. If he was 30 pounds lighter he'd probably be a damned good WR.

Dude went undrafted. Raiders got him and started farting around with him. He's stuck in a weird spot right now. He needs to keep weight on so he can be a good FB. But if he was about 15-30 pounds lighter he could be a full time RB/WR type of guy.

He's 255 pounds and runs a 4.4 40. That's crazy talk. Hell... if he had grown up a line backer who the hell knows what he'd be doing right now. He could be patrick willis.

He's the best receiver out of the back field they have. He's one of the best receivers they have period. He's as good as jennings carrying the ball but with his weight there's a doubt that he could carry 20-25 times a game and make it all season... and when they do that they don't have a full back. LOL!

They can definitely use him more. Dumping McFadden is going to mean more time for him to play.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
At worst he should be splitting carries 50/50 if he has stamina issues. There's no reason why he shouldn't be THE goal line back and a chance of pace guy if Raiders want to stick with Jennings getting most of the carries. If Sproles and Tolbert had a baby, Marcel Reese would be his name imo.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Just shoot me now...

I can't take this anymore :-(
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
None of these moves make sense. They've hit bottom, and now they're trying to dig even further down.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
No NEEEEEED to spend money like crazy... There really isn't any GREAT talent out there..
Old 03-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CBSubie
No NEEEEEED to spend money like crazy... There really isn't any GREAT talent out there..
But they haven't spent any money except for throwing away $4 Million to waste a roster spot with McFail and spent more on the oft injured Saffold than Valdheer is getting with AZ ($42.5M vs $37.5M).

Jennings did a better job here in one year than McFail ever did. Even when he was good for like a 5 game window; the rest of his career he's either completely underachieved or was on the bench with any assortment of injuries.

I agreed with the teardown since it was obviously needed, but now it looks like Reggie is trying to play money ball with $60 million in cap space. I don't see any big picture here. They need to pick well in free agency AND the draft to even have a fighting chance this year. Reggie and Co don't seem to be good at either task since taking charge.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I'm clueless as to the moves...

Raiders got money to spend, at least keep the good ones.... wtf
Future anchor men.

Veldeer as Tackle, but take on a possible hiccup due on injuries Saffold...
Houston on the DLine

Sign McFadden 1yr-4mil...
I heard this one on the radio "Just in, McFadden signed 4mil 1yr... Just in, listed as doubtful for 1st regular season game"

You need to spend 90% of your cap money anywho... why would you not spend it on the anchor of your o-line and d-line. What?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 PM
General Pimpin'

I think they really want jameis Winston.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
McFadden''s deal is actually not really for 4 million. Its 1.75 mil base with a max value of 4 mil in unlikely to achieve bonuses, such as a rushing title and other crazy things like that. Also only $100,000 is guaranteed.

Also, McKenzie is not attached and might not even want Al Davis guys at all except for Reece and they saw Veldeer only as a right tackle. Saffold can also play everything but center on the O-Line.

One thing to remember too is only worry about the guaranteed money since after 2 maybe 3 years since NFL contracts are here is money for 2 years and well see from there.

The Raiders are also going have to overpay for free agents for a year more years since no one wants to spend there prime in a losing situation. Look at what the Jags, Vikings, and Browns paid people. California taxes also don't help since 30 million in Texas or Florida is the same as ~$33 million in California.

Hopefully the address the D-line though. They could with Starks and Raji in the middle who they can pay a lot in year one to save money for subsequent years. Also, signing Alex Mack to an offer sheet and see what since it would solidify the O-Line that would/could be beasty with Saffold Wisnewski(sp), Mack, Barnes, Howard with Watson who could step in somewhere.

Last edited by ruehl; 03-12-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 AM

DMC is a wasted roster spot. Jennings was the obvious choice to keep.

Now that they've signed another tackle, I feel a little better about the O-line. But there are still lots of spots to fill all over on defense and of course they're going to need to find their QB at some point. It's going to be interesting.... I hope.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 AM
General Pimpin'

This is the weirdest free agent period I can remember in the NFL in a while. Oakland looks like it's being run by the last place finisher in your fantasy leagues. Players are making their own weird moves.

Jennings just left a number one role to share caries with 2 other good backs. Now Donald Brown is giving up competing for a starting spot on Indy to fight for carries in SD?

Does he not realize that Ryan Matthews is only 26 and he played in all 16 games last year... 4.4 average and 1255 yards? And his reception percentage out of the backfield has been pretty solid? Is S.D. TRYING to cause drama in their locker room? Danny Woodhead is a better receiver out of the backfield than both of them and added 400 yards rushing.

You're talking about a backfield that got your nearly 1700 yards rushing and 800 yards receiving last year.... a 2500 yard backfield and you're adding donald brown? WTF? Didn't they pay attention in class... 3's a crowd. He's not even that good. If I was woodhead I'd be PISSED!

Oakland lets their best lineman go and sign an injury prone guard to a larger contract than he would have got. Then they let their best RB go and sign the guy that has no will to play.

The niners let a huge hitter in the secondary go and sign a locker room mess of a lineman.

The Broncos are playing money ball right now. Trying to get a ring before Manning's juice runs out. If they sign Ware and manage to pick up another decent running back... so far so good for them if Aqib can play half as good as he did last year for the next couple years.

Browns are building a top 5 defense and could be the surprise team next year if they can land a decent RB and another WR. I think the QB they're sticking with is better than people think... and they'll draft one anyways.

WTF?

Quick Reply: Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread