Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Bye Bye Dennis Allen
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Yea, replaced him, but we really don't know where the Raiders are going to find leadership. I was listening to a lot of the stuff on the radio, and basically it means they have some interim headcoach and then they'll need to find a new coach... and someone is gonna need to get seriously paid to do something with the Raiders.

They definitely didn't hit on the draft, and some of their... uhh things related to drafts (trading, picking up Wilson, Shaub but McGloin wins out somehow?!) and the list goes on and on that haven't went the Raiders way.

Then you got a bunch of rooks with a bunch of vets who are at the tail end of their years... kinda weird? No identity.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Reggie McKenzie should have followed Dennis Allen out the door.

Raiders can offer Jim Harbaugh a boatload of money next season. Jed York/Baalke don't seem to get along with Harbaugh and are slowly whispering the seeds of doubt to the media folks about the discontent in the locker room in order to justify not re-signing Harbaugh next season.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
I would put $ on Harbaugh not being in Oakland next year.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:44 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Reggie McKenzie should have followed Dennis Allen out the door.

Raiders can offer Jim Harbaugh a boatload of money next season. Jed York/Baalke don't seem to get along with Harbaugh and are slowly whispering the seeds of doubt to the media folks about the discontent in the locker room in order to justify not re-signing Harbaugh next season.
I'd worry about finding an established GM before hoping that a top tier coach becomes available. Start with a foundation and work up.

Mark Davis had the right philosophy when he brought in a GM and let him do his job. It just didn't work out. First time owner, first time GM, and first time HC..... chances for success we're nonexistent looking back at it.

Davis should get all the advise he can from friends and advisors around the league to find a competent GM and try again. It's no time time to pinch pennies.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 PM

Jim will be sought after in plenty of spots if he leaves. As for the whole "front office" making the pitch that there is some discontent... I mean that's kinda far fetched IMO. Not too long ago the Niners were with Dingleberry and Mike Nolan's and sucked ***. The Niners have had years of suckass even with such a talented roster, so I highly and I mean Highly doubt the Niners are going to try and get rid of Harbaugh.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Jim will be sought after in plenty of spots if he leaves. As for the whole "front office" making the pitch that there is some discontent... I mean that's kinda far fetched IMO. Not too long ago the Niners were with Dingleberry and Mike Nolan's and sucked ***. The Niners have had years of suckass even with such a talented roster, so I highly and I mean Highly doubt the Niners are going to try and get rid of Harbaugh.
I never said they would publicly say they wanted Harbaugh out. If they really wanted him to stay, they would have extended him already. The whole "let's wait and see what happens" isn't a good sign that Jed York is desperately trying to keep Harbaugh. What's a few million here or there; just pay the man already, rather than risking him leaving to go somewhere else. Jed's got his new stadium, and he's raking in the dough. The York family has a history of messing things up. Don't be surprised if Jed messes this up.

And besides, who's "leaking info" to Deion about discontent? Deion said his "info" came from "Uniforms, suits and ties." Has Jed come to Harbaugh's defense yet after these allegations? I haven't heard a peep from him, while others, including Baalke, have come to Harbaugh's defense. I have heard from media outlets that Baalke and Harbaugh merely tolerate each other, so I don't know whether he's for or against Harbaugh staying.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX

Davis should get all the advise he can from friends and advisors around the league to find a competent GM and try again. It's no time time to pinch pennies.
Didn't John Madden give him advice on either McKenzie or Allen and tell him that he should hire one of them? I don't remember where I read that from, but if it's true, maybe he should find somebody else for advice lol
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Old School

Didn't John Madden give him advice on either McKenzie or Allen and tell him that he should hire one of them? I don't remember where I read that from, but if it's true, maybe he should find somebody else for advice lol
Mark should not listen to past raiders.

It was Wolfs advice to get Reggie. Reggie did good with the money, but, missed mostly badly on pics and FA.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Reggie did good with the money, but, missed mostly badly on pics and FA.

*cough* Flynn *cough* Schaub *cough*
Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Old School

*cough* Flynn *cough* Schaub *cough*
*cough* Hayden, Watson, Burris, Wilson *cough*
Old 10-01-2014, 04:30 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
To be fair, there really is no guarantees that any draft picks will pan out. There are tons of guys out there that have talent and go down with injuries before ever getting to really contribute (like a Jahvid Best) or do stuff to get them kicked off the teams (like Aaron Hernandez or Titus Young), or just never live up to the potential that people saw in them (like A.J. Jenkins, Darrius Heyward-Bey, or JaMarcus Russell).

Plenty of workout warriors out there that get drafted and just never show up (Vernon Gholston) and all types of other reasons.

Yes, you want your top picks and Free Agents to live up to their potential and their talent levels, but there are always going to be swing-and-miss type players from all areas. Hopefully, more picks pan out than don't, but nobody gets it right 100% of the time.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 PM

But it's a lot more than just the picks that can shape a team or FAs...

Transcript: Gannon rips Raiders organization, culture | CSN Bay Area
Rich Gannon:
"You got to find me some of those guys out in Oakland. Who are they? Who are they? Who are the leaders of the football team? I talk to players all the time -- we just talked to Marcel Reece -- who are the leaders of the football team? 'We'll we've got 'em.' Let me see 'em...

I can tell who the leaders are by watching them play -- and how they play and how they perform. And they don't have enough of them.

It's a product of their culture and the environment that has existed for years, because you let things go, you let things slide. You don't detail your work. You don't have the high degree of professionalism, and accountability in the building. And that's a problem. You don't have a player that's willing to stand up in front of his peers in the team meeting and say, 'This is BS. We're not going to do this anymore.'

You don't have those players. You don't have a Peyton Manning to stand up in the middle of a Friday practice and say, 'Nah, uh. Let's stop the play and do it over. We don't drop the ball on Friday.'

You don't have those players.

I lived it. I've been in the building for years, I know what's going on there. And that's the problem. You don't have enough badasses that are going to stand up and do something about it.

The Raider fans come calling: 'Hey, we just got James Jones, and we got MJD, we got LaMarr Woodley, we're going to win 12 games, we're going to beat the Broncos.' Yeah, right. You're not going to beat anybody until you find a quarterback, and you find some guys in the locker room that go around and demand perfection, demand excellence.

They got this sign in front of the building that says: 'Commitment to excellence.' They ought to take it down. It's false advertising right now. There's no commitment to excellence. There's a commitment to mediocrity right now. And that's the problem. You need to change the culture and the environment.

You need to bring in some people that are capable of rooting out the issues. And it takes people that know the history of why they have not won. You need to bring in some people that have been there and done it. Then maybe things will change.

But it's not going to change when you keep replacing coaches, keep replacing quarterbacks and keep running different veteran free agents through the building. That's not how you rebuild an organization. And the thing that drives me crazy is that they spend millions and millions and millions of dollars on the payroll.

There's people out in Oakland, in that building, players, coaches, front office, people in business, accounting: stealing! They ought to give the check back. The product on the field is terrible. And when you lose like that, how can you go to the bank and cash the check? You should be embarrassed.

You're not winning because you have players and coaches and people in the building that have become comfortable with the process of losing. It's okay to lose out there, it's okay. It's not a big deal. In other places, it's simply not tolerated. And when it gets to the point where they don't tolerate it anymore, it's unacceptable, and we run people out of the building who haven't figured that out...and then bring in players who care, and players who work and players who aren't going to tolerate that, then you'll get the results you so long desire.

But they don't know how to do it and it drives me crazy."
And if you want cliff notes:
Old 10-01-2014, 10:21 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
The team has no freakin clue where it's going and that's an issue.

Seriously.

Dude was a terrible coach but more than anything he's a terrible leader. No emotion. No leadership. Do doesn't even look like he wants to be there. Players don't get behind people that don't care.

Reggie is in the same boat. He has no idea where the team is going. If the people in charge don't know where the team is going then how the hell are the players going to know wtf to do?

I pointed it out in the draft and so far I'm right.

They brought in Shaub to give them a couple years to develop and/or draft a start now QB. Then Carr fell to them and they moved on him. I had no faith in that pick. Carr actually looks half way decent but he really could have used 1-2 years to develop. If they didn't have faith in Schaub they should not have brought him in.

They could have drafted a WR there... or Hyde.

The only saving grace is moving on Mack. That dude has a big future.

Mc has potential to build a decent team but it's like his confidence gets in the way... or lack there of. He needs to make decisive moves. Ignore the press. Just do it. And get a coach that has a vision. Support it. Go for it.

Look at the Eagles and Chip Kelly. That dude makes a LOT of idiotic decisions but the organization is behind him. He's pissing off his best player but they're still behind him.

Firing coach... smart. Firing Mc... not sold on that yet. He might be alright if he can build the right staff. I'd give him one more year. But the right coach is critical.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Firing coach... smart. Firing Mc... not sold on that yet. He might be alright if he can build the right staff. I'd give him one more year. But the right coach is critical.
I don't see the benefit in firing coaches w/o having a better replacement lined up. It's not like good coaches are waiting in line to come to Oakland.

New ownership, same Raiders. The revolving door of coaches continues.

Quick Reply: Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread