The Official "I just washed my car thread"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Wink

Kimmy was long over due for a car wash after all the rain we've had.

As you can see..:
Name:  DSC_2035.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  863.2 KB

Degreased:
Name:  DSC_2038.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  670.3 KB

Name:  DSC_2039.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  778.3 KB

Rinsed:
Name:  DSC_2047.jpg
Size:  487.8 KB

Foam soak:
Name:  Dsc_2049.jpg
Size:  371.6 KB

Dried off and finished:
Name:  Dsc_2059.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  234.8 KB
Name:  Dsc_2057.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  214.9 KB
Name:  Dsc_2064-1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  180.6 KB
Name:  DSC_2080.jpg
Size:  737.5 KB
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan
Does anyone have this foamer? I'm thinking about buying one, suggestions?

Amazon.com: Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Presharized
Where is the best place to get car wash supplies... This thread has inspired me to do a full 2 bucket wash, clay bar, wax and polish.
Define "best". Do you mean cheapest or most convenient/closest to you? In the Bay Area Aside from Detail Addict and Mann, you will only be finding OTS (Off The Shelf) products with limited selection and little difference between each other. Basically low consumer level products will be available and only so. Winchester auto actually has about 10% more selection than your average oriellys auto parts, prices will how ever be a marked up a bit because they are a small supplier. If you are going to buy from Detail Maniac in sac, then you are better off just making an online purchase for the same products they supply.

Also, you should probably polish before you wax or do any LSP.

I want to get the whole shazam basically. New Wash, claybar, wax/polish...

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Is Meguiar's any good? You prefer Griot's?
"Wax/Polish", don't ever mix the two up and don't ever divide them with a slash implying that they are somehow similar, which they are NOT.

It all depends on what level expertise you are, it will require some real experience to differentiate formulated chemicals across many different brands.

Brands are also user choice, if you are just a weekend warrior for your own garage fleet of cars, it is not necessary to carry a vast variety of name brand products. Having a nicely put together "set" will do you just fine.

I also wouldn't mind picking up one of those orbital buffers actually
Careful again. An orbital buffer is what you would find in your local store and vatozones, it is primarily used to remove cured wax mechanically from your car. It will not create enough rpms to induce any type of polish or correction. A Dual-Action (Random Oscillating) machine polisher is what you want for a 100% user safe paint correction experience, if used correctly (I have heard stories of people messing up their paint with a DA, and I am quite baffled at how.... only one reason, they were using it Improperly.) A Rotary Tool Machine buffer/polisher is single direction and spins in one motion and does not oscillate. My advice is to stay away from rotary's until you know exactly what you are doing and the purpose of every procedure. Many novices make the mistake of jumping right off to a rotary tool and inflict even more paint defects onto their vehicles.

Anyways, would anyone (BAIC) be interested in an "Ask A Detailer" thread? I would be willing to create one.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Agro
Does anyone have this foamer? I'm thinking about buying one, suggestions?

Amazon.com: Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster Adjustable Multi Ratio Cleaning Gun: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks!
I have the exact model, that one comes with a brass sliding pin ratio adjuster. This model comes with more brass fittings and you have to becareful of long water exposure after use because of oxidation and corrosion on the metal fittings.

There is also another model with mostly plastic fitting parts and the adjuster is also a plastic dial. Either one of them is fine.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
I have the exact model, that one comes with a brass sliding pin ratio adjuster. This model comes with more brass fittings and you have to becareful of long water exposure after use because of oxidation and corrosion on the metal fittings.

There is also another model with mostly plastic fitting parts and the adjuster is also a plastic dial. Either one of them is fine.
Awesome, thanks for the response. So basically just let it air dry before storing it away after use?

Also, for something like the Meguiars NXT car wash, what ratio of car wash to water do you recommend putting into the foamer bottle?

Last edited by Agro; 05-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Agro
Awesome, thanks for the response. So basically just let it air dry before storing it away after use?

Also, for something like the Meguiars NXT car wash, what ratio of car wash to water do you recommend putting into the foamer bottle?
Just don't store it inside a container where moisture cannot evaporate. Should probably wipe the outside of the foam cannon mostly dry before pulling it away would be safe, depending on surrounding water conditions in your area.

As for your second question, the bottle is supposed to hold the concentrate, while you adjust the ratio slider to mix with the in-line water source. If you have a lot you can pour in pure concentrate, but that can be a wasteful method if you decide to mix on the highest ratio, the shampoo will disappear really quick. To be more product effective, you can add in pure concentrate then add in an ounce or two of water (depending on how much initial shampoo you pour in) to mix it down and make the solution last longer.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Just don't store it inside a container where moisture cannot evaporate. Should probably wipe the outside of the foam cannon mostly dry before pulling it away would be safe, depending on surrounding water conditions in your area.

As for your second question, the bottle is supposed to hold the concentrate, while you adjust the ratio slider to mix with the in-line water source. If you have a lot you can pour in pure concentrate, but that can be a wasteful method if you decide to mix on the highest ratio, the shampoo will disappear really quick. To be more product effective, you can add in pure concentrate then add in an ounce or two of water (depending on how much initial shampoo you pour in) to mix it down and make the solution last longer.
Cool, thanks for the response! That was really helpful.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 PM

Car Info: Frankenstein 02' PBP STi :P (RIP) 2016 WRX

Anyways, would anyone (BAIC) be interested in an "Ask A Detailer" thread? I would be willing to create one.
I can change the thread to the Official "I just washed my car / detail Thread" if you'd like!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by weaver
I can change the thread to the Official "I just washed my car / detail Thread" if you'd like!
Thanks mate, but I think a separate thread will do better because if there are questions, Im sure people will ask the same thing multiple times. With pics in the thread, it'll cluster the questions and answers already covered. Having a dedicated one will let people sort out what has been covered easier, so I dont have to keep answering the same questions lol. But thats only if theres interests to start one, Since I-club doesnt have a dedicated detailing sub forum. Just a suggestion from your's truly.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
^ You should start it. Im always trying to learn and im sure it would help out others.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 AM

Car Info: 06 AW STi
Originally Posted by gafler
got one too! lol washed mine last night ^^
Hey I remember that car. I bought your old NT03's. Your new setup looks really good.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX Limited 4 door
After wash, dry, claybar and wax...
Attached Thumbnails The Official "I just washed my car thread"-imag0257.jpg  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
just a quick wash and some weakass photoshoot on my new Daily/Gas-Saver car

Name:  IMG_5412.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  IMG_5411.jpg
Size:  34.8 KB
Name:  IMG_5406.jpg
Size:  74.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5405.jpg
Size:  93.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5402.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  112.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5409.jpg
Size:  39.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5414.jpg
Size:  47.8 KB

Last edited by downsti; 05-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM

washed, clay barred, and waxed my car this morning.

Last edited by Agro; 05-30-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by downsti
Hey Pho pm your contact phone#

i been looking around for detail/restoration to this car i just picked up, i always been good at detailing my own car ( since i got it new ), but i think this vette is beyond my skill to restore

My New "Gas-Saver/Daily" Car... 5/11/12 update: w/ Nitrous Oxide System (Nos) - NASIOC

i asked around alot of guys, many of them recommending me to big name shops, like AJ's and other big name detailing

from my experience i would rather invest my money and trust to someone thats new up & coming, they tend to be alot more motivated, and ready to prove

it def shows your doing great work and very motivated

do you also detail engine bay? and interior?

keep up the good work man,

Sent you a Pm a bit ago, hope you got it. And yea Ive been hearing negative things from local "detail" shops like AJs.

Quick Reply: The Official "I just washed my car thread"