Official: Formula One Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
How so? Taking a penalty and still spending the money solves nothing.
So far, only two cars have taken the penalties. Lotus being pretty realistic last year. RebBull getting boned pretty hard this year. So I would say the penalties are working.

I'm all for it if it's faster, which so far it's not. That's not due to it being V6T, but fuel limits on rate and capacity. Refueling + much higher rate allowance will fix this for me.
It's not faster because it's new. Give it time for more development. The V8s were at the peak of their development. They were fast as ****. The V6T is still new.

Costs, thought I personally don't feel that's a great reason. As valid it may be.
Well, hmm... Seems weird that they would bring it back when they're trying to cut costs.

WUT?!
Yeah. Pit strategy can win or lose a race. Spain was a pretty blatant example of that. Although, I suppose the current stints are pretty reasonable.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
Monaco...the most amazing boring race all year.
I want Valencia back!

Name:  1ljkJenl.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  86.6 KB
Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
I'm all for it if it's faster, which so far it's not. That's not due to it being V6T, but fuel limits on rate and capacity.
And the lack of down force in the current regulations.
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
It's not faster because it's new. Give it time for more development. The V8s were at the peak of their development. They were fast as ****. The V6T is still new.
The engine and ERS system together are making similar horsepower to the V8, as well as a lot more torque. I blame the current fuel limits and lack of down force on current cars.

Yeah. Pit strategy can win or lose a race. Spain was a pretty blatant example of that. Although, I suppose the current stints are pretty reasonable.
I'm pretty sure pit strategy has always played a major part in the race. Refueling will offer strategies, which will be interesting to see what teams do (run less fuel for faster times but pit more, run more fuel so you can have longer stints, etc.)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
I like the idea of refueling, just not the cost. I want to see more teams in f1 for added competition and adding to the already high barrier to entry will not help that.

oh and just bought tickets to the singapore gp
Old 05-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
So far, only two cars have taken the penalties. Lotus being pretty realistic last year. RebBull getting boned pretty hard this year. So I would say the penalties are working.
If RBR stops racing because they won't spend the $, then sure, it's working, money has been saved. If they spend the $, put in the engines, and take the penalty, well, it's not working... They sure didn't save money, they just took the penalty. If it's a deterrent, it's not working.

Actually they weren't fast as ****, because the v10s were fast as ****. V8s were put into place to slow the cars down, and that happened. In the era of cost cutting somehow a very expensive engine hybrid system is a-okay, yet, an extra 100 gallons of fuel per team, per race is ZOMG so expensive... right...

How can you not see that the lack of power in the V6T is not due to it being new, it's due to the lack of fuel?! V6Ts are far more power potential than the V8s and even the V10s. These should be the fastest F1 cars on this engine design, but it's being held back on purpose by FIA.

Why they would move to such a costly platform, and then severely limit it's potential, is what bothers me so much about FIA. Drop the fuel limits and then these engines will easily top the V8s and V10s in power and still use less fuel than those engines did due to these engines being DI vs Port Injection.

Well, hmm... Seems weird that they would bring it back when they're trying to cut costs.
Costs being cut are being cherry picked. Fuel is a drop in the bucket vs what these engines costs.

You think the tires that Bernie told Pirelli to purposely make not last well last too long?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by G_Ride
And the lack of down force in the current regulations.
Again, which was put into place to slow the cars down and let them follow each other better into turns. Due to DRS, we see these trap speeds and think they are still fast, but it's all artificial since the lap times are lacking.

The engine and ERS system together are making similar horsepower to the V8, as well as a lot more torque. I blame the current fuel limits and lack of down force on current cars.
This is true, however, that potential being wasted is what bothers me. Sad that the 80s had the most powerful engines of any F1 era.

I'm pretty sure pit strategy has always played a major part in the race. Refueling will offer strategies, which will be interesting to see what teams do (run less fuel for faster times but pit more, run more fuel so you can have longer stints, etc.)
Yup. This is what refueling has always brought to the table and something that F1 really needs to get back to, and looks like it will. Should have never changed this aspect of F1.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by flat489
I like the idea of refueling, just not the cost. I want to see more teams in f1 for added competition and adding to the already high barrier to entry will not help that.

I don't care about these small fry teams. Their existence is a complete waste of sponsor money. I'm good with a 14 car field or maybe even 12 if it meant over all better quality teams, cars and drivers.

Dude, singapore will be dope.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:17 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

If RBR stops racing because they won't spend the $, then sure, it's working, money has been saved. If they spend the $, put in the engines, and take the penalty, well, it's not working... They sure didn't save money, they just took the penalty. If it's a deterrent, it's not working.
I wouldn't expect any team to just stop because they're out of engines. But the vast majority aren't exceeding the restriction.

if the penalty wasn't working, everyone would be using their 5th engines by now. But only one team has been royally screwed by their supplier and they are taking the penalty. That sounds like it's working. I would also hope that Renault would be hooking RBR up on that extra engine at some kind of discount.

Actually they weren't fast as ****, because the v10s were fast as ****. V8s were put into place to slow the cars down, and that happened. In the era of cost cutting somehow a very expensive engine hybrid system is a-okay, yet, an extra 100 gallons of fuel per team, per race is ZOMG so expensive... right...

How can you not see that the lack of power in the V6T is not due to it being new, it's due to the lack of fuel?! V6Ts are far more power potential than the V8s and even the V10s. These should be the fastest F1 cars on this engine design, but it's being held back on purpose by FIA.

Why they would move to such a costly platform, and then severely limit it's potential, is what bothers me so much about FIA. Drop the fuel limits and then these engines will easily top the V8s and V10s in power and still use less fuel than those engines did due to these engines being DI vs Port Injection.
Gotta advance the technology. The current climate is that fuel is harder come come by. Make a situation where teams need to do more with less fuel. restrict fuel. introduce more hybrid technology. I feel like you think the fuel restrictions are to reduce cost. I think the fuel restrictions are for fuel efficient technology. The same reason why there's the V6T.

I think there is still a lot of potential with the V6T even with the current fuel and RPM restrictions. The development just need more time.

Costs being cut are being cherry picked. Fuel is a drop in the bucket vs what these engines costs.
How expensive are the refueling systems?

You think the tires that Bernie told Pirelli to purposely make not last well last too long?
No... I said,

I suppose the current stints are pretty reasonable.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Old School

I wouldn't expect any team to just stop because they're out of engines. But the vast majority aren't exceeding the restriction.

if the penalty wasn't working, everyone would be using their 5th engines by now. But only one team has been royally screwed by their supplier and they are taking the penalty. That sounds like it's working. I would also hope that Renault would be hooking RBR up on that extra engine at some kind of discount.
Considering teams didn't swap engines every race in the past, I doubt this. Considering that engines were much cheaper, and teams ran rebuilt engines for Practice a lot, there was great use of that $.

Gotta advance the technology. The current climate is that fuel is harder come come by. Make a situation where teams need to do more with less fuel. restrict fuel. introduce more hybrid technology. I feel like you think the fuel restrictions are to reduce cost. I think the fuel restrictions are for fuel efficient technology. The same reason why there's the V6T.
The fuel restrictions are to limit the power of the engine.
I think there is still a lot of potential with the V6T even with the current fuel and RPM restrictions. The development just need more time.
If you think you can get 20-40hp more without increasing fuel flow, yes, you are right. If you think you can get 400 more hp, without increasing fuel flow, you are wrong.

I mean the whole concept of refueling a car and changing tires was straight up out of this world. If not for Fangio's wicked pace, wouldn't have even been tried and it wasn't even attempted again for like 30 years. But once teams figured out how to quickly inject fuel safely it became a total staple, well, once FIA lifted the ban on refueling in the 90s that is. The problem with today's use of refueling ban is it coincides with a limit on fuel rate.

Again, look at the late 80s turbo cars. They could not refuel, like today, and thus were built big, and had lots of fuel on board so they could race the distance. But UNLIKE today's turbo cars, or even later years v8s, there was a very lax limit on fuel level and fuel flow. The result was no refueling, but 1000hp turbo cars that drivers could wring the hell out of.

Today they can't do that. You lose the strategy refueling brings, AND you lose the pace and speed such cars could have by limiting fuel, and flow rate, and thus power, and thus a cars potential. So we get instead a race of conservation. Conserve tires because they wear like ****, and conserve fuel because there is a limit to how much a car can have, and how much it can use in a given time...

LAME

How expensive are the refueling systems?
I don't know of their cost, but since they still bring rigs with them I doubt it's much more with refueling system. I mean, they still use a fuel rig, just may not be the same one as before. Considering they fuel the cars with 220+ more lbs of fuel than before, yeah, pretty sure they still use a decent speed rig.

No... I said,
Actually you said:
I wish there were more pitstops. The tires are too robust.
So, again, you want the already purposely ****ty tires to be even more ****ty for the purpose of show?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
GPDA Survey 2015

new F1 survey put out by the drivers, looks like a lot of people are doing it as it is not loading for me
Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Old School

GPDA Survey 2015

new F1 survey put out by the drivers, looks like a lot of people are doing it as it is not loading for me
"We are experiencing an incredible response to the GPDA Survey and are currently extending our servers' capacity. We will be back online soon."

Old 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Old School

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...on-dollar-baby
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Awesome!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Someone made the point that if he drops a pound (£), he'll earn it back before it hits the ground.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Old School

Cmon Lewis... kiss the Armco like Senna in '88

Quick Reply: Official: Formula One Thread