Official: Formula One Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Got ratings to back that up?

I'm dead serious. I don't think it's due to Vettel. I just... don't care of the cars, at all. They have so little downforce through turns, it's ALMOST like I'm watching champcar.

If it wasn't for the Mercedes Drivers being so close, I'd pretty much not even watch this year. These cars are just so slow. And things like DRS and ERS really isn't making up for power and downforce that's missing. Just isn't, and I'm not alone in that camp.

sorry I dont judge how exciting races are by TV ratings for the same reason I dont think Mcdonalds has the best hamburgers because they sell the more than anyone else. And I honestly dont agree with you that aero makes it more exciting, its been much more entertaining seeing everyone come to grips with the high torque/low aero cars. Im not alone in this camp either!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
I'm in your camp Jeremy.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
I fast forwarded almost all of the races in the second half of the 2013 season. Vettel pole, Vettel win. At least this season there's cars blowing up to look forward to and a Mercedes on pole does not guarantee a win. It'll probably be a Mercedes win, but it's not for sure one driver.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:48 AM

There's also been great surprises this year like the performance of the Williams team and Ricciardo.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM

This will be great IF it's true Audi to join F1 in 2016 | Auto Express
Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM

How likely are we going to see Caterham race in Austin?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:41 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Pfft, I was surprised to see them in Russia.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:38 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
How likely are we going to see Caterham race in Austin?
Zero Chance
Old 10-25-2014, 11:40 AM

Marussia is out too. ****. I wonder would they give people that bought tickets a 20% discount because there's four less cars now.

http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motors...ry/180877.html

Last edited by JZ oo7; 10-25-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Name:  d5xJ4dK.gif
Views: 6
Size:  2.41 MB
Old 10-27-2014, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Because F1 is... kinda boring this year. Seems like viewers agree.

Maybe it's the cars. For me I can easily see how slow they are.

Bring back the aero pls...
Much better than 2013.... Just because Vettel doesn't win, doesn't mean it's more boring.

TV ratings say it's better too.

NBC says best-ever F1 season ratings with 93% increase | Formula 1 Blog
Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
I wonder how much more the logistics are for bringing the team/cars to the US vs other locations?
I searched a bit, I would be curious to know how much it costs.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I think F1 has their own plane... Or two...

I was watching one of Ted's notebooks and it sounded like almost all the equipment is flown out on one plane (or two). With the exception of personnel and some small parts/upgrades.

NEVERMIND... They have a deal with DHL. ****'s still complex though.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/un...cing/5297.html

For Formula One teams one of the biggest battles of a race weekend or testing session will be over before a car even turns a wheel: the vast logistical effort required to get all of the team's equipment to the circuit - so vast, in fact, that the sport has its very own Official Logistics Partner, DHL. Indeed each team competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship now travels something like 160,000 kilometres (100,000 miles) a year between races and test sessions.

Nor is the logistical effort as simple as merely getting people and equipment in place. Hotel accommodation must also be found and booked (a team can require anything up to 100 rooms), hire cars must be sourced and the team's facilities at the circuit - from the pit garage equipment to the drivers' motorhomes and the paddock corporate hospitality units must all be in place. Almost equally important, in this digital age, are the secure data links that connect the team to its base, enabling telemetry and other data to be sent directly back (which in turn allows engineers to study any potential problems, even while the race is running.) All-in-all, an enormous task.

For the European rounds of the championship most of a team's equipment will travel by road, in the liveried articulated lorries so familiar from race paddocks across the continent. All of the race equipment required for the weekend will be loaded in these: cars, spare parts and tools. Tyres, fuel and certain other equipment are brought separately by technical partners and local contractors.

For the non-European 'flyaway' races the logistical effort is considerably more complicated (all Formula One teams being resident in Europe at the moment) as equipment has to be flown out on transport planes. Rather than use conventional aircraft containers, teams have created their own specially designed cargo crates, designed to fill all available space in the planes' holds.

At present most of the teams use cargo planes chartered by Formula One Management (FOM) which fly from London and Munich to wherever the race is being held. In the case of successive flyaway races there is insufficient time between them to allow the teams' equipment to be brought 'home', meaning direct transit between the two races. This means that considerably more components have to be packed.

As the number of races outside Europe continues to expand, so the logistical effort required to transport the teams and their equipment will expand alongside it. Already the amount of transport required for a season of Formula One racing has been described, only half-jokingly, as being not dissimilar to that needed for a medium-sized military campaign.

Logistics for the flyaway races are probably pretty similar unless there is a short period of time and they don't go home between races.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 10-27-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by justint5387

Much better than 2013.... Just because Vettel doesn't win, doesn't mean it's more boring.

Its not like that has nothing to do with Speed/FS1 being on higher cable tiers and NBC Sports being on nearly all levels of cable tiers.

Nah. LOL.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by justint5387

And once again, its not Vettel. I've got plenty enjoyment from him and especially Daniel.

Its the cars. They took away the power and aero. Created stupid KERS/ERS and DRS to make up for the lack of passing and the constant Trulli Trains but its not doing it for me.

Quick Reply: Official: Formula One Thread