Official Eargasm (Audiophiles thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by The Law
How are these? I'm looking to get a nice set of overears but not pay an arm and leg either

http://slickdeals. net/f/7892129-philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-248-free-shipping?v=1
Worth the money. Solid mid-level audiophile headphone. These are also open-backed, if that makes a difference for your listening environment/intentions.

Like a Boss: The Philips Fidelio X2 | InnerFidelity

Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Car Info: 2013 Forester on Towstrap
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Worth the money. Solid mid-level audiophile headphone. These are also open-backed, if that makes a difference for your listening environment/intentions.

Like a Boss: The Philips Fidelio X2 | InnerFidelity
Hmmm I might need to look into a closed-back headphone.

Last edited by The Law; 06-03-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
"...Many listeners cannot hear the difference between uncompressed audio files and MP3s, but when it comes to audio quality, the size of the file isn't (ahem) everything. There are plenty of other ingredients to consider, from the quality of your headphones to the size of the room you're sitting in to, well, your own ears..."

They forgot to include the quality of the player and/or amplification...the bestest quality master recordings will sound like **** through an integrated laptop sound card with un-amped AKG 7XX series

...and said program is??? But I agree on the 320kbps vs CD audio statement.
foobar2000: Components Repository - ABX Comparator

CD Audio vs 320kbps MP3. I've done this several times and only get half right. Most people get half right.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:19 PM

Car Info: DGM STI
I've been ripping WAV to mp3 since two individual songs would take up an entire 500-800mb IDE hard drive. Would take seconds to go CD -> disk, then all day to encode an entire album from file -> mp3.

128 back then was pretty bad even then but better than most 64kbps rips. It wasn't until better codecs came around (circa 1997 - Fraunhofer Professional, l3enc anyone?) that things started getting better with 256/320. Still, if the source was poor you still had a lot of static/noise. You also had to deal with file size and space limitations back then. With the rise of VBR the SNR around the lower and upper fringe frequencies can be fixed while keeping a fairly small file size. FLAC helped too. Unfortunately the masses do not give a **** about sound quality and are completely happy with garbage - Beats/skullcandy with AAC and whatever default craptunes sets for a bitrate.

PS: I've tried various Philips products between the mid 90s-00's. They have always sucked.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by El Wray
I've been ripping WAV to mp3 since two individual songs would take up an entire 500-800mb IDE hard drive. Would take seconds to go CD -> disk, then all day to encode an entire album from file -> mp3.

128 back then was pretty bad even then but better than most 64kbps rips. It wasn't until better codecs came around (circa 1997 - Fraunhofer Professional, l3enc anyone?) that things started getting better with 256/320. Still, if the source was poor you still had a lot of static/noise. You also had to deal with file size and space limitations back then. With the rise of VBR the SNR around the lower and upper fringe frequencies can be fixed while keeping a fairly small file size. FLAC helped too. Unfortunately the masses do not give a **** about sound quality and are completely happy with garbage - Beats/skullcandy with AAC and whatever default craptunes sets for a bitrate.

PS: I've tried various Philips products between the mid 90s-00's. They have always sucked.
Definitely. Codecs today are pretty amazing. And tools like that above just show that most people can't hear a difference.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Old School

I did the NPR test, here are my results:

I got 0 of 6. Every single pick of mine was the 320kbps track.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 PM

Car Info: DGM STI
Just got home and tried the test. 4/6 on Logitech G930. The two I failed were 320kbps.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Bad Mudder Trucker

This worth it?

BuyDig.com - Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Audiophile Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones-Black
Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Any suggestions on headphones that are closed-back in the price range of $100-$150 (maybe $200)?
Old 06-12-2015, 06:17 AM

Any suggestions on headphones that are closed-back in the price range of $100-$150 (maybe $200)?
That's like asking for a general coilover recommendation in a ~$1,000 range. We need some more info yo!

What type of music do you listen you?
How portable and/or durable do you need them to be?
Is isolation a concern (on-ear vs. full over-ear design)?
What's your music source (DAC, laptop with dedicated sound card, iPhone, etc.)?
Do you plan/want to run use a headphone amp?
Do you want to them to be 'scalable' as you acquire better equipment in the future?
Do you care for style and available colors (I **** you know I had people ONLY want to buy headphones in a particular color)?
Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Bad Mudder Trucker

That's like asking for a general coilover recommendation in a ~$1,000 range. We need some more info yo!

What type of music do you listen you?
How portable and/or durable do you need them to be?
Is isolation a concern (on-ear vs. full over-ear design)?
What's your music source (DAC, laptop with dedicated sound card, iPhone, etc.)?
Do you plan/want to run use a headphone amp?
Do you want to them to be 'scalable' as you acquire better equipment in the future?
Do you care for style and available colors (I **** you know I had people ONLY want to buy headphones in a particular color)?
Oh so you mean like asking what car I should buy?

-I listen to almost any type of music.
-I would like them to be portable as I'd use it for road trips and would need to be somewhat durable.
-I would prefer full over-ear
-ipod/phone would be my main music source and maybe playing games
-I probably won't be running an headphone amp
-does not need to be "scalable" as I don't plan to use it for much more than normal use.
-not picky on colors, but mostly prefer black to keep it simple.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Bad Mudder Trucker

What's your guys opinion on the Sony MDR-7506?

http://slickdeals .net/f/7913451-sony-mdr-7506-professional-folding-headphones-69-99-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal?v=1
Old 06-12-2015, 11:01 AM

It is tough to find a truly portable full size over-the-ear headphone. Cannot get around the physics of full size ear cups...plus the cable is oftentimes 10 foot long. My recommendations would be Beyerdymanics DT1350, Sennheiser HD-25ii series (which are on-ear)...both are all around great performers and built like German tanks ready to invade Poland (because they are). I own the Senn Amperior version and that thing has survived some serious abuse.

What's your guys opinion on the Sony MDR-7506?

http://slickdeals .net/f/7913451-sony-mdr-7506-professional-folding-headphones-69-99-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal?v=1
Well proven design that's been around since 80s, but I would pay $20-30 more and get MDR-V6 version. More balanced, cleaner and less bloated sounding from my impressions.

EDIT: Holy ****...just buy this and call it a day. I need another headphone like a hole in my head, but I will probably jump on this buy.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/beyerdynamic-dt-1350-cc

Last edited by LxJLthr; 06-12-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Bad Mudder Trucker

I don't know how I feel about on-ear head phones

Last edited by The Law; 06-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:40 PM

No clue. Never seen these anywhere or even heard of the maker. Head-Fi has zero hits about his headphone. They also give zero specs in the description, which should tell you a lot...and also $200 MSRP?! That's right alongside Invicta watches having $1,000 MSRPs and $79.99 street price.

If you are gong down into the $50 budget range; look at Audio Technica M30.

Quick Reply: Official Eargasm (Audiophiles thread)