Official Eargasm (Audiophiles thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
Just got the HD650 today and listening to the first track right now. Getting a hum from the amp that I did not get from the AKG K701. I'm guessing it's because the K701 is a lot harder to drive.

With almost no burn, I can see (or hear) why people love these for vocals. The vocals sound so much juicer on the HD650 and I'm going to guess it's just going to grow more as they burn in. Wood from the stand up bass is much more pronounce and so is the soundstaging.
Now if you like those, you'll really like the PM-1
Old 04-24-2015, 12:12 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Now if you like those, you'll really like the PM-1
Can I audition them?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Old School

Official Eargasm (Audiophiles thread)

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
Can I audition them?
Sure. Ever near Mt View? I might be able to sign out a pair, but doubt we have any spares for that.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Sure. Ever near Mt View? I might be able to sign out a pair, but doubt we have any spares for that.
I need my comfy chair at home for proper auditioning.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
For anyone in the market for a great sealed headphone...Massdrop is doing a group buy on AKG K553 (revised/2nd gen K550) for $119. Buy is limited to 675 unites and barely into 1st day (of 7) they already sold ~300 units

I demo-ed K550 a while back and thought they are definitely worth the $150-200 street price range. For $119 it is highway robbery.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k55...udio-headphone

EDIT: Corrected number of available units.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-27-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
I'm tempted to buy some noise canceling headphones specifically for airplane travel. I fly about 100 hours a year and my next trip is on Saturday. Are the Bose QC25's the way to go when it comes to noise canceling? Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser PXC 450's?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dong Homez
I'm tempted to buy some noise canceling headphones specifically for airplane travel. I fly about 100 hours a year and my next trip is on Saturday. Are the Bose QC25's the way to go when it comes to noise canceling? Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser PXC 450's?
I travel a lot for work, so I went through almost every major noise canceling headphone out there.

Bose still has the best noise canceling compared to rivals; though how much better (especially for its $300+ price) is up for debate. I also have never been a fan of their sound ("No highs, no lows, that's Bose" ). PXC 450s were the best sounding ANC headphones I tried, but their noise cancelling left a lot to be desired. Personally, I have been using Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B for the last 4 years. Using Bose as a benchmark, I think they give 95% of the noise cancelling, 200% sound quality improvement at 1/3 of the price. Amazon has these ~$100-120 and Costco occasionally has them ~$80-100 (they disappear when they do ). That said, if you need to look the part and be accepted in business or first class, you need to have Bose

EDIT: Another option to consider is Monoprice's noise cancelling headphones (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=10010). They have been getting very good reviews.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-27-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 AM

Car Info: DGM STI
I've always hated Bose ever since I was disappointed with the damned accoustimass crap in the late 90s and then disappointed again with noise cancelling headphones. I travel a lot, too. After my second go around with noise cancelling I was convinced it wasn't for me. Then again, I listen to music 100% of the time and would never wear something with active noise cancelling just to sit in silence. I prefer above medium volume levels.

1. I hate batteries. I don't like carrying them with me and I only like charging what is an absolute must. (Laptop & phone, maybe standalone music player)
2. Generating noise to cancel noise seemed counterproductive to me.
3. I can hear a TV thats on with no source (like the cable box being powered off) from across the room. It drives me crazy. I liken it to nails across a chalkboard. This is essentially the noise I heard from "noise cancelling".
4. After reading this head-fi article only last year: link -Buyer's Guide
Active Noise Canceling is something else you'll want to avoid in most cases. In-general the average person will get the isolation needed from IEMs or other high isolation headphones. With active noise canceling you're going to pay a premium on the noise canceling technology, rather than the sound quality. Only buy these, or even consider them, if you absolutely need them. As for how the technology works, it has a microphone that listens to the noises around you. It will generate a tone that cancels out constant hums like a jet engine. It does nothing for talking or sporadic noises.
It pretty much affirmed what I thought over the last 15 or so years.

In my experience with a good seal the isolation of a good IEM cannot be beat.

Last edited by El Wray; 04-28-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:07 AM

^^^

I agree with your post 100%. Any ANC headphone is terrible musically when compared to a regular headphone. I would never recommend ANC can as a primary set of cans, but there are situations where they are useful...but not as many as Bose (or whoever) would like people to believe. To elaborate more on this topic for discussion sake...

1) BOSE = Buy Other Stereo Equipment
2) I find non-audio informed people (those that think Beats are audiophile grade equipment ) seem to take "Noise cancelling" quite literally; it does not actual cancel ALL noise around, just consistent ambient environment noises (ex airplane engines). I am amazed how many Amazon reviews complain about "still hear people talking next to them"
3) Also almost all ANC cans now work in passive/battery dead mode. I think QC25 FINALLY solved the issue of not becoming a paperweight when the battery dies.
4) I find that "noise cancelling" noise/hiss without any music playing is only an issue with cheaper ANC headphones. I remember Able Planet, Sonys and MMElectronics being are horrible in that regard, but it was never an issue with ATH or Bose (I guess you get what you pay for there).
5) Some people don't react well to ANC since the reverse cancelling wave can put "pressure" on the ear drum that many seem to be sensitive to (think constant altitude changes).
6) I have coworkers that absolutely do not like having anything inserted into their ear canals, so good pair of ANC headphone is their only alternative.

I personally use both during flights; IEMs for music and passive isolation worn underneath ATH-ANC7B for active noise cancelling. The combined effect is epic for me. But just like with anything, different things work for different people.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-28-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Car Info: DGM STI
^Interesting post, appreciate the input! The veritable belt and suspenders!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by El Wray
^Interesting post, appreciate the input! The veritable belt and suspenders!
It was even better when I had custom IEMs...I had to be shaken awake a number of times when it was time to get off the plane

But I always get looks when I put everything on...especially in higher plane classes where iPads/iPhones/Bose/Macbook Pro are pretty much the required equipment for your neighbor to acknowledge that you belong/deserve to be there and not among the lowly economy peasants (sarcasm, but it feels like it sometimes)
Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
Thanks for the input everyone. I went with the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B. I couldn't justify spending more than $125 for headphones that I'll only use on airplanes.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Old School

Your ears will love 'em: Oppo PM-3 headphones - CNET
Old 05-20-2015, 11:18 PM

Can I audition them too with my amp?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:51 AM

At the $400 they better be...there is a deep pool of candidates at that price range.

Quick Reply: Official Eargasm (Audiophiles thread)