The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Taste any different?
I adulterate Guinness with Harp every time I find a place with both on draft. As long as both are Irish, I don't see a problem. Most of those combo's sound
Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Today, at lunch I had...

I want to try that one. I'm waiting for my notification from the local BevMo.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I tasted my lilikoi wheat and then tossed and ale in the fridge (2 weeks early but what the heck). The lilikoi wheat tastes very much like lilikoi, and it's pretty good until you taste what I was shooting for and you can see that I missed the mark. I used Bavarian wheat as a base and will use an American style malt next time, with the same WLP320 yeast. It's darker than I wanted, and the hef flavor is a little lost in the fruit. Less fruit next time...

The Ale, albeit early, was NUTS. Hop smell hits you first - very floral and citrus-like. It's definitely an "over-hopped" pale, but I have to admit I like it. Sort of like a "less astringent" IPA-like beer. IPAs are awesome but can sometimes be overhopped with nothing else to balance it out. This is why I used all Cascade hops (little less pungent) with around double the grains in my partial-mash. A friend suggested .25lb of flaked barley to give it a good head, and it worked. Physically it's perfect - intense carbonation, my first filtered beer so it's clean and clear with very little residue, nice foamy head with good lacing. Needs to age a bit more IMHO but I am pretty stoked.

A glass of home-brewed ale:

For the next one, I want to do a similar style with less, more aggressive hops (thinking Chinook or Warrior for bittering) and use choice grains including Maris Otter 2-row pale malts. If you have ever had Magnolia's Proving Ground IPA, it's one of my top favs and my next target. Still wanting to make an easy-drinking pale like Mirror Pond, but down the road for that one...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM

That is a tasty looking beer
Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'm surprised Bo wasn't following this van!

Name:  photo-7.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  50.0 KB
Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
Today, at lunch I had...

I just tried one. Disappointing. Bland, although not as bad as that bloody "draft" stuff. I'll stick with Guinness Extra Stout.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Just tried some of Jacobs homebrewed ale.

OMG

Brother, you had me a bit worried when you said it might suck. This is seriously one of the BEST home brewed ales I have ever tried, EVER!

And the passionfruit wheat. What a chaser!
yeah I tried them both tonite, I couldnt resist!

seriously though, this is a truly great homebrew. I want my buddy Jason that owns Churchkey to try your stuff. I know he would love it.
Anyhow thanks, made my night!!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Just tried some of Jacobs homebrewed ale.

OMG

Brother, you had me a bit worried when you said it might suck. This is seriously one of the BEST home brewed ales I have ever tried, EVER!

And the passionfruit wheat. What a chaser!
yeah I tried them both tonite, I couldnt resist!

seriously though, this is a truly great homebrew. I want my buddy Jason that owns Churchkey to try your stuff. I know he would love it.
Anyhow thanks, made my night!!
Wow - nice! Glad you liked it - thanks for the kind words. It's a bit on the "hopped to hell" side so not for everyone. I would be honored to have Jason try it, have to get you a couple more tomorrow. If you like hops... This is your beer. I like it, but what can I say.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM

I'm surprised Bo wasn't following this van!

you weren't looking hard enough
Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM

I'm drinking a stellar Oatmeal Stout from Santa Cruz Ale Works. I've had their Hef, Pale and IPA but I haven't seen their stout before my trip to the store this afternoon. Amazing flavor, dark as hell (its called "Dark Night" lol), but its not heavy or overly filling. SC Ale Works has been my fav brewery for a while now and all varieties are a must-try. I know my local BevMo has it, so I'm guessing it has a fairly wide distribution? They also have a local tasting room which I have yet to experience, so if anyone wants to make a trip I'd be more than down to go
Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Heres the Tiny Toons version of me, Jacob, and Soggy goin drinkin here in SF a few weeks back. They even got the part where we stole a cop car and drove it off a cliff!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
ooooooh so that would explain that Motorola radio in my car..
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

Hahaha.. That's pretty funny.. I was doing okay till someone started handing me vodka tonics.. Oh - still got 2x bottles chillin for ya Jeremy. Had to put them in the fridge, but the "cold storage" should make them smoother...

I want to make some more beer, but got into some money issues so I need to hold off for a bit. Once I can, I am going to make 2x batches using what I learned with the ale and wheat, and try to do it "just right" this time.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Hahaha.. That's pretty funny.. I was doing okay till someone started handing me vodka tonics.. Oh - still got 2x bottles chillin for ya Jeremy. Had to put them in the fridge, but the "cold storage" should make them smoother...

I want to make some more beer, but got into some money issues so I need to hold off for a bit. Once I can, I am going to make 2x batches using what I learned with the ale and wheat, and try to do it "just right" this time.
I will pay to try some of that passion fruit wheat beer Jeremy was telling me about damn it!!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
I will pay to try some of that passion fruit wheat beer Jeremy was telling me about damn it!!
Only 4 bottles left out of the 50... I got pretty cleaned out last Friday and didn't get to make the replacement in time - was hoping for a brewing rotation that kept me with beer through the summer, but had some $$ surprises in the last month that kicked my ***. Anyway, the next one will be better as it's going to be a lighter, American style Hefeweizen base with a little less fruit, though, like the ale, the aging makes it SOOOOOO much better. I can save you the last two, but I don't know for how long!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread