The Official: All Things Phone Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Been out of the game for a bit (not paying attention to new release stuff).

I had no idea Android "N" was coming out so soon. One thing I really like, that I had on my Note 3, is the split screen! Looking forward to that

Android N Preview Tour! (Part 1) - YouTube
Android does a great job of teasing things like the split window and NightUI however we don't know if it will make the official release.

Originally Posted by 04GG
Broke the 6 Edge and then the replacement showed up with an issue already so switched to this

Did not go with the edge this time.
Supervisor has the S7 edge and seems to love it. I don't like Samsung's history of updates and overall management, not to mention my disdain for TouchWiz and the front button.

Still looking for a 'newish' phone and waiting on the new Nexus devices which apparently HTC is making.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by 04GG
Broke the 6 Edge and then the replacement showed up with an issue already so switched to this

Did not go with the edge this time.
edge was too big!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by rupees88
Android does a great job of teasing things like the split window and NightUI however we don't know if it will make the official release.
I wouldnt be surprised if it makes it in. Samsung has had it for a couple years now.

You're move iphone
Old 08-05-2016, 11:35 AM

I wouldnt be surprised if it makes it in. Samsung has had it for a couple years now.

You're move iphone
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08...-2016-nexuses/

Welp it's happening.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Churro Aficionado

Interesting. I havnt payed any attention to phone stuff in a long while now.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:37 AM

Interesting. I havnt payed any attention to phone stuff in a long while now.
I've been keeping up since I would like to upgrade although the Nexus 5 still runs without any real hiccups.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Churro Aficionado

N6 has been great, the only thing I miss is the removable storage
Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Thinking of switching to a cheap service. I truly don't use my phone that much, minimal talking and texting, and lite use on data. I have T-Moble now on a galaxy S6 edge, happy with the service, not the $100+ bill with only me on the account. What do you guys recommend? I'm looking at cricket wireless and straight talk but I'm hesitant.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Churro Aficionado

T-moblie has new plans out right now... $70 for unlimited. If you get a family plan and get 4 people on it, its only $40 per line for unlimited.

Then there is also Google Project Fi, what I am currently on. Its $20 a month for unlimited call/txt, then $10 per gig of data for as much or as little as you use.

Example: I signed up for a 2 GB plan, thus my bill is $40. If I end up using 2.3 GB of data that much, they will only charge me $43 (no crazy overages, just pay for what you use. They also break it down to the MB - to the penny). Say one month I use less, and use 1.6 GB, they will credit my bill so it would be $36.

Its great if you dont use a lot of data. I had VZ for 10+ years and then Google came out with this. I kept VZ and Fi together for 2-3 months. Everywhere I went with VZ, I had service with Fi.

There is also voice over IP. So for me, my office is in a basement and I could not get calls/txt on VZ. I would have to step out every so often. Fi will work over your wifi to get calls/txt. Say I get a call in my office and answer, I can then walk outside and the call will transition to cellular without dropping the call.

The service is a world service running off Spring and T-mobile towers (CDMA and GSM frequencies). It switches between whatever tower has the strongest signal in your area at the time automatically.

The only thing with Fi, is it only works on a handful of phones (all Android right now, tho prolly not a problem since you already are used to one).

Phones off the top of my head I know work on the service:
Nexus 6
Nexus 6P
Nexus 5X
Pixel
Pixel XL

They are added phones as new ones come out. So that might be a limitation for you. Although they let you purchase a phone and let you pay it off over 24 months with no interest charged. It is also a no contract plan. If you dont like it, walk away with no fees, the only thing you would have to pay is if you bought a phone from them, you would just have to pay off the remainder.

If you're interested, let me know. They have a promo running right now thru the 11th. I can send you an activation code and after 30 days, you and I would both get $20 off our next bill.

https://fi.google.com/
Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
Inner to find a phone to replace the iPhone 6+... no more Apple bull**** for me. I like everything but the battery shenanigans and the "oh we have released a new iPhone, let's send out an iOS update to make all the current phones sloooooooow down"

Damn... I hate computer ****....
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by LOL_VTEC
Thinking of switching to a cheap service. I truly don't use my phone that much, minimal talking and texting, and lite use on data. I have T-Moble now on a galaxy S6 edge, happy with the service, not the $100+ bill with only me on the account. What do you guys recommend? I'm looking at cricket wireless and straight talk but I'm hesitant.
Try google fi
I am on it now.

I also have Tmob.

Last edited by sigma pi; 01-09-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Slide
Inner to find a phone to replace the iPhone 6+... no more Apple bull**** for me. I like everything but the battery shenanigans and the "oh we have released a new iPhone, let's send out an iOS update to make all the current phones sloooooooow down"

Damn... I hate computer ****....
yeah, that is lame.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Hell Yeah! Exactly what I was looking for! I do have to break up with T-Mobile first, I do owe a little on my galaxy. Doesn't look like they'll support the galaxy so I'll have to purchase a new phone from their selection. Let me get back to you on the promo code, I'll hopefully will receive everything I need to use it in time?

T-moblie has new plans out right now... $70 for unlimited. If you get a family plan and get 4 people on it, its only $40 per line for unlimited.

Then there is also Google Project Fi, what I am currently on. Its $20 a month for unlimited call/txt, then $10 per gig of data for as much or as little as you use.

Example: I signed up for a 2 GB plan, thus my bill is $40. If I end up using 2.3 GB of data that much, they will only charge me $43 (no crazy overages, just pay for what you use. They also break it down to the MB - to the penny). Say one month I use less, and use 1.6 GB, they will credit my bill so it would be $36.

Its great if you dont use a lot of data. I had VZ for 10+ years and then Google came out with this. I kept VZ and Fi together for 2-3 months. Everywhere I went with VZ, I had service with Fi.

There is also voice over IP. So for me, my office is in a basement and I could not get calls/txt on VZ. I would have to step out every so often. Fi will work over your wifi to get calls/txt. Say I get a call in my office and answer, I can then walk outside and the call will transition to cellular without dropping the call.

The service is a world service running off Spring and T-mobile towers (CDMA and GSM frequencies). It switches between whatever tower has the strongest signal in your area at the time automatically.

The only thing with Fi, is it only works on a handful of phones (all Android right now, tho prolly not a problem since you already are used to one).

Phones off the top of my head I know work on the service:
Nexus 6
Nexus 6P
Nexus 5X
Pixel
Pixel XL

They are added phones as new ones come out. So that might be a limitation for you. Although they let you purchase a phone and let you pay it off over 24 months with no interest charged. It is also a no contract plan. If you dont like it, walk away with no fees, the only thing you would have to pay is if you bought a phone from them, you would just have to pay off the remainder.

If you're interested, let me know. They have a promo running right now thru the 11th. I can send you an activation code and after 30 days, you and I would both get $20 off our next bill.

https://fi.google.com/
Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 AM
Churro Aficionado

Originally Posted by LOL_VTEC
Hell Yeah! Exactly what I was looking for! I do have to break up with T-Mobile first, I do owe a little on my galaxy. Doesn't look like they'll support the galaxy so I'll have to purchase a new phone from their selection. Let me get back to you on the promo code, I'll hopefully will receive everything I need to use it in time?
If you want to bring your same number over, dont cancel Tmo till after your number has been ported over to Fi.

I was in a chat support with Fi last Thurs asking about the promo for another friend, you can sign up now, and enter the code, even without a phone. Just to get the service started before the 11th. Up to you on what ya wanna do.

If anyone else is interested as well, I think current Fi users get 10-20 promo codes.

EDIT: What you can do with your Galaxy is sell it to make up some of the hit for buying a new one. I just sold my Nexus 6 on Swappa. A lot easier than CL. Best bet is if you have a friend interested in buying it though haha.

Last edited by stupidchicken03; 01-09-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Just tried signing up. They don't have the phones I want in stock right now. Awaiting an E-mail for availability

If you want to bring your same number over, dont cancel Tmo till after your number has been ported over to Fi.

I was in a chat support with Fi last Thurs asking about the promo for another friend, you can sign up now, and enter the code, even without a phone. Just to get the service started before the 11th. Up to you on what ya wanna do.

If anyone else is interested as well, I think current Fi users get 10-20 promo codes.

EDIT: What you can do with your Galaxy is sell it to make up some of the hit for buying a new one. I just sold my Nexus 6 on Swappa. A lot easier than CL. Best bet is if you have a friend interested in buying it though haha.

Quick Reply: The Official: All Things Phone Thread