The Official AB2289 CA SMOG MY2000+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
The Official AB2289 CA SMOG MY2000+ Thread

One thread for the new smog test. Post up what car and how the test went.

MY2001 Chevy Silverado 4.8L V8 - Pass

Was 10mins... Plugged into OBD2 port, 10mins later the computer said pass. No idea what it looked at other than MIL, stored codes, active codes etc.

My swapped Impreza will be up soon for this. MY2002 engine in a 1999 car. Really hope its he ECU only test.

Anyone got this done already? Anyone with a reflashed ECU pass?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Yeah a reflashed map will work as long as it's ready, with no trouble codes. From there, it's a visual check and that's it, no tail pipe readings. Not all smog shops have the equipment to do ecu only, some are still doing the sniffer.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:27 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Yeah a reflashed map will work as long as it's ready, with no trouble codes. From there, it's a visual check and that's it, no tail pipe readings. Not all smog shops have the equipment to do ecu only, some are still doing the sniffer.
Deadline was March 1st. All 98 and up diesels and 2000 and up vehicles have to go through the new smog machine now. Hybrids upcoming soon as well probably within next 6 months.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 03-03-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Deadline was March 1st. All 98 and up diesels and 2000 and up vehicles have to go through the new smog machine now. Hybrids upcoming soon as well probably within next 6 months.
So if a smog shop doesn't have the new machine, they are limited to smogging only 97 and older diesels and 1999 and older vehicles via sniffer? They tell you to go somewhere else?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Old School

Do you have first hand knowledge that a reflashed car was able to do this? What kind of car and what kind of reflash?

Yeah, i think they all do it now. I thought it was STAR only shops, but the shop I went to, a STAR shop, said they all can do the AB2289 testing.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Do you have first hand knowledge that a reflashed car was able to do this? What kind of car and what kind of reflash?
What are you, a ref spying on iclub folk??

04 STi with APv1 protune
Old 03-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
So if a smog shop doesn't have the new machine, they are limited to smogging only 97 and older diesels and 1999 and older vehicles via sniffer? They tell you to go somewhere else?
Yep, or you can report them and they get hit with a HUGE fine.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
2005 Legacy GT:

I just got mine done the other week, went to a Jiffy lube. Had to swap out my downpipe to stock but did not touch my flash.

the only issue was my Perrin TMIC, I had to go over that it was a consolidated part and in the stock location, they needed to look it up to see I was correct.

Everything passed with flying colors after that.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
My 06 STI with Stage 2 OTS map CAI, DP and so on done to it passed fine. They pulled the car into the bay plugged it in and a few minutes later I was paying and on my way. Same thing with my 1999 Dodge ram, no sniffer just ECU scan. The ram though had a new battery and had not gone through all of the ready monitors so i had to drive it a little more and "retest".
Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by Max Xevious
2005 Legacy GT:

I just got mine done the other week, went to a Jiffy lube. Had to swap out my downpipe to stock but did not touch my flash.

the only issue was my Perrin TMIC, I had to go over that it was a consolidated part and in the stock location, they needed to look it up to see I was correct.

Everything passed with flying colors after that.
The whole TMIC and FMIC thing seems to be up to smog techs because when looking at the Rules as long as your car came equipped with an IC you can put an aftermarket just as long as you continue to run a full recirculating bpv. Even the Bar rules for gasoline vehicles that have factory Turbo/supercharged 's it doesn't require them to check. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX%...%2012-2009.pdf

Its really hard to find a clear answer to this when you hear different peoples experiences and what not. I have been personally told by a smog tech that changing the IC was fine and legal as long as i kept the stock or a stock style bp, but even he said that there are other techs who will fail you for aftermarket parts even if the parts are carb legal parts.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Old School

What are you, a ref spying on iclub folk??

04 STi with APv1 protune

Just want to be ready for the RS.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
My 06 STI with Stage 2 OTS map CAI, DP and so on done to it passed fine. They pulled the car into the bay plugged it in and a few minutes later I was paying and on my way. Same thing with my 1999 Dodge ram, no sniffer just ECU scan. The ram though had a new battery and had not gone through all of the ready monitors so i had to drive it a little more and "retest".
Catless or Catted DP?! I'd love to not have to change a thing and just get smogged...

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
The whole TMIC and FMIC thing seems to be up to smog techs because when looking at the Rules as long as your car came equipped with an IC you can put an aftermarket just as long as you continue to run a full recirculating bpv. Even the Bar rules for gasoline vehicles that have factory Turbo/supercharged 's it doesn't require them to check. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX%...%2012-2009.pdf

Its really hard to find a clear answer to this when you hear different peoples experiences and what not. I have been personally told by a smog tech that changing the IC was fine and legal as long as i kept the stock or a stock style bp, but even he said that there are other techs who will fail you for aftermarket parts even if the parts are carb legal parts.
I think that it's clear it's okay.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Yea, we've had reminders and bulletins in the smog machine for a while now. If a shop doesn't purchase the new dad unit, they can't smog those vehicles you listed.

Originally Posted by Overbear
Yep, or you can report them and they get hit with a HUGE fine.
The bar sees every smog you do and will be able to tell if a shop is doing them improperly.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 03-03-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
currently switching my dp to smog tomorrow. I'm mostly worried about my perrin A/O separator as the pcv valve is not in the stock location. However, the thing is leak proof right now and I lose less oil than ever. I'll let you all know how it goes. wish me luck!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Yea, we've had reminders and bulletins in the smog machine for a while now. If a shop doesn't purchase the new dad unit, they can't smog those vehicles you listed.

The bar sees every smog you do and will be able to tell if a shop is doing them improperly.
So when do they start comparing data from the original map that's supposed to be on your car, to what's actually on the car?

Quick Reply: The Official AB2289 CA SMOG MY2000+ Thread