Noob from Philly with noob questions (re: smog and safety inspections)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Noob from Philly with noob questions (re: smog and safety inspections)

Hello everyone. I will be relocating to Oakland from the Philadelphia area and I just wanted to say hi.

Also wanted to get some of your opinions on getting my car in CA shape. Things are not as strict in Philly regarding inspections so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my car ('04 STi). Here are some things I'm worried about:

-TXS stealthback exhaust (hi flow cat)with Stromung single tip muffler
-Tinted front windows (35%)

Anybody have these mods and run into problems during inspections? Are some places more leanient than others? If so, any chance I could get some referals? Also looking for some good trustworthy shops in the area that know how to work on Subies in case I have to have my mods taken off as my new apartments won't let me work on cars in the lot. Sorry for all the dumb questions but thank you in advance and look forward to meeting many of you.

Last edited by doubleU RX; 04-27-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
CA sucks...they are strict with everything! btw...you prolly wont pass smog even with that high flow cat. you might as well go fully catless for more power since both are illegal anyways then just swap the stock exhaust parts when getting smogged. Stromung single tip is pretty stealthy so you wont have a problem gettin looked at by cops. the tint "could" be a problem...some cops are just a$$es and will write you up for it even tho it isnt dark at all. g'luck in that bay area!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpman23
CA sucks...they are strict with everything! btw...you prolly wont pass smog even with that high flow cat. you might as well go fully catless for more power since both are illegal anyways then just swap the stock exhaust parts when getting smogged. Stromung single tip is pretty stealthy so you wont have a problem gettin looked at by cops. the tint "could" be a problem...some cops are just a$$es and will write you up for it even tho it isnt dark at all. g'luck in that bay area!
Thanks for the reply Jumpman. Wife and I are pretty stoked to be moving back to CA (no offense to anyone but Philly flippin sucks). Anyways, I'm not so worried about the cops as I am about passing inspections and emissions since I have to register my out of state car in CA. So sounds like the hi-flow cat won't fool the sniffer. So you know any good shops around that you would recommend?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by doubleU RX
Thanks for the reply Jumpman. Wife and I are pretty stoked to be moving back to CA (no offense to anyone but Philly flippin sucks). Anyways, I'm not so worried about the cops as I am about passing inspections and emissions since I have to register my out of state car in CA. So sounds like the hi-flow cat won't fool the sniffer. So you know any good shops around that you would recommend?
we've got a couple philly folks on the boards.

you should pass sniffer even with the high flow cat...honestly.

any other mods?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
No, I dont think the TurboXS cat will pass....not mine at least. I could always smell the exhaust fumes.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 PM

I'm sure it will pass the "sniffer" it's the visual inspection that gets you.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX - Grey
They are going to **** with you because of the tint, guarenteed youll get pulled over in the first month or so...

My buddy bought a Lexus IS300 with tinted front windows(45%) and got pulled over 1 hour after the purchase =)

Other than that, find a stock exhaust to change back if you get reffed....

Dont think you should have many issues out here, unless there is more under the hood your neglecting to mention

=) Enjoy sweet warm cali!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by Sharky
They are going to **** with you because of the tint, guarenteed youll get pulled over in the first month or so...

My buddy bought a Lexus IS300 with tinted front windows(45%) and got pulled over 1 hour after the purchase =)

Dont think you should have many issues out here, unless there is more under the hood your neglecting to mention

tint really matters where you live i ran with front windows 30 percent for a year and never got in trouble once, even after being pulled over..but in other cities its much harsher
Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
we've got a couple philly folks on the boards.

you should pass sniffer even with the high flow cat...honestly.

any other mods?
Nothing serious. I have an Accessport (gotta remember to load the 91 map) and the turboback. I'm on prodrive springs with Cusco front/rear struts and SSR GT2 wheels. I've got some cosmetic stuff but that's about it. I'm getting old and this things got more than enough power for me...for now.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sharky

I definitely won't be missing this cold miserable weather. As for the tint, I don't mind going a little lower with the fronts. I like to listen to the engine anyways so the windows are down most of the time...especially with this sweet weather. I'm more worried about trying to register my car in CA. Tint will be easy to deal with but the exhaust will be a PITA to remove then put back on. I guess I will try and pass with the system on and if it doesn't work, swap it out. I guess I have nothing to lose since I still have my old set up minus the muffler.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:31 AM

Car Info: MY05RS, MY70914, and MY10VT1300CS
Originally Posted by doubleU RX
Tint will be easy to deal with but the exhaust will be a PITA to remove then put back on.
my last name is Pitta....lol...... douche chills.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 2007 Legacy GT Spec B
welcome, lol
Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Sweet ride.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
yea, ur car isn't tooo bing to the cops except the wing on the back of it... my car has all most the same stealthy set up as u but black and gold rims....but i think u should be fine as long as u don't give the cops a reason to pull u over... dark tins, loud exhaust, driving stupidish etc.

also, what and how u look when u do get pulled over is a biggy when it comes to having them say, "i have reason to believe you have more illegal mods under the hood pop ur hood." so the more un-street racer-ish the better.... u might have to drive around with a suit on everywhere... LOL

Last edited by RU-X; 04-28-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
youe tint should be fine. I run 20 all around and 35 up front. No biggie.

Quick Reply: Noob from Philly with noob questions (re: smog and safety inspections)