No, Krinkles. THIS is a Bad Ass Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 AM

Car Info: Toyota pickup, Tuono, '62 Mini
No, Krinkles. THIS is a Bad *** Mini...

Sorry Jeremy but that fat pig you posted up the other day is going about it all wrong! Light is right.

It is a little too early to talk about my project but who cares. I sold my Evo last summer and bought a '60 Mini. I'm rebuilding it from the ground up using modern suspension, lighter weight components here and there, and powering it with a Yamaha R1 motor. Instead of that 400lb VTEC slug, this thing is only 150lbs.

I considered the VTEC conversions but then I read this: http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...specialty_file 1792lbs?! A stock Mini is 1400 and already has a massive front weight bias. I'll only have 165hp or so, but mine should end up around 1300lbs. And don't forget sequential, clutchless, full-throttle upshifts. I probably won't have her running until the end of this year but I'll post up again when it's finished.

You can follow along with the build here:

http://www.joe250.com/cars/mini/rebu...nirebuild.html

P.S. I need you to do a clear bra for this thing. You up for doing a custom one?

Last edited by Joe250; 03-25-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Wow... What a junker...

JK man! That should be pretty sweet... nothing is better than a featherweight

and LAWZ @ Krinkles
Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
whats the tq output on the R1 like 100 to the fly?

i'm pretty sure a b series motor doesn't weigh 400 lbs probably closer to 280.

Since that's a B18C probably putting down 190/145 to the wheels.

Throw in a Hayabusa motor and boost!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 AM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
lol krinkles
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
whats the tq output on the R1 like 100 to the fly?

i'm pretty sure a b series motor doesn't weigh 400 lbs probably closer to 280.

Since that's a B18C probably putting down 190/145 to the wheels.

Throw in a Hayabusa motor and boost!
"The B-16A engine and tranny weigh right at 400 pounds, or 50 pounds heavier than the 1275 A-series Mini engine and tranny. "

http://www.minimania.com/web/Display...n/ArticleV.cfm

So 150lbs for the R1 engine and transmission, 350lbs for the original Mini engine and trans, and 400lbs for the VTEC. One caveat is that the R1 motor will also require an additional transfer box to take power from the countershaft to a Quaife LSD. I'm not sure yet how much that thing will weigh. Still, the motorcycle engine seems to way to go.

Busa motor was my first choice but it won't fit into a stock Mini's front end. It's just too tall.

Vid of R1 Mini: http://video.google.com/videosearch?...en&emb=0&aq=f#

And this is the engine kit I'm purchasing: http://www.miniexvo.com/

Joe
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
^^^

Dude, that twin engined mini was CRAZY! Couldn't barely keep it on the track!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
^^^

Dude, that twin engined mini was CRAZY! Couldn't barely keep it on the track!
Oops. I meant to post this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=R1+mini&hl=en
Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Joe! Good to see youre still browsing through ,and damn I gotta see this thing when your done! Just let me know when its ready for film, you can take me on a test drive!

- Krinkles

Last edited by Krinkov; 02-20-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I have to admit - I have been following your build for a while. Those parts are gorgeous - the rear control arms, brake pieces, etc. People constantly tell me that I should do the VTEC swap in mine, but to me that is counterproductive and not what the Mini is about. I have thought that since the time I saw that motor under the hood of a Mini. Honestly I have only driven mine around 300 miles now, but power is not something I think I need more of just yet even with the stock 998cc motor. You simply do not have to slow down for corners. The only time I have ever wanted more power is when someone cuts me off or something on a hill and I have to kill momentum but in most cases the car is so small that you can simply get around them before they have any idea what happened. I thought my MR2 Spyder changed direction well, the Mini just doesn't care - yank that wheel as hard as you want and it will just GO. Seriously a toaster on a skateboard. It's pretty funny to pull up somewhere and be laughing my **** off from the drive.

Would love to get a ride in yours one day or even take a peek at it during the build. Looks like you are doing things very carefully. I am trying to find a welder so I can learn, and get started on another project I have. If you have any tips for a welding n00b, I would be all over anything you could offer. My biggest issue is going to be workspace as my garage is tiny and I spent sooo much time moving crap from place to place to work.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
i hate you all. my empty pockets want classic mini.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I have to admit - I have been following your build for a while. Those parts are gorgeous - the rear control arms, brake pieces, etc. People constantly tell me that I should do the VTEC swap in mine, but to me that is counterproductive and not what the Mini is about....

...Would love to get a ride in yours one day or even take a peek at it during the build. Looks like you are doing things very carefully. I am trying to find a welder so I can learn, and get started on another project I have. If you have any tips for a welding n00b, I would be all over anything you could offer. My biggest issue is going to be workspace as my garage is tiny and I spent sooo much time moving crap from place to place to work.
It is an interesting question - how much to mod an old car like the Mini and what direction to take it in. There are purists out there who think nothing but a stock A-series is the way to go. For my car that would mean about 40hp! Others would choose a hopped-up A-series. Those are capable of 140+hp but still weigh around 350lbs and can cost $6000-10,000. R1 motors can be picked up all day long for $1000 or so. Plus they are bone stock so they should have good longevity and reliability.

There's also the question of leaving the car front-engined FWD or converting it to mid/rear-engine with RWD (a la Z Cars). How far is too far? For me, I really felt like the character of the Mini was in it being FE/FWD. The fact that the motorcycle engines put out far more power than stock, weigh significantly less, have a similar architecture (4 cylinders, integral trans with shared oil, etc.), and help take weigh off the Mini's already heavy front end made it the logical choice. The VTEC's aren't a bad choice but aren't the way to go in my opinion.

Yes, I'm trying to do mine right but I'm having to learn a lot along the way. I am still learning MIG welding but the basics are dirt simple. PM me when you'd like to stop by take a look.

Joe
Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Joe250
Wow, worst video ever
Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by pignoseWRX
i hate you all. my empty pockets want classic mini.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Wow, worst video ever
Bruce,

You're focusing on the wrong things. Yes, the videography sucks. Yes, it is a couple hoodlums arsing about. But how about the sounds? And you get a decent idea of the level of acceleration. If you've ever ridden in a stock Mini you can more fully appreciate that.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 AM

wow!

Quick Reply: No, Krinkles. THIS is a Bad Ass Mini...