New to Bay Area: Smog and Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Car Info: '06 Subaru Forester STI
Originally Posted by Overbear
Wrong, you just can't have any non CARB mods. Long as it has CARB stickers/approval you can do it. As I pointed out in my first post, the AEM is 100% smog legal.

*edit* Also you can remove the "snorquis" and change out to any air filter you want. You can also change the top of the OEM air box to one of the aftermarket top/covers. Anything PRE the box is smog exempt(so tubes/pipes feeding it cold air and so on)
Yes - you are right but that applies to everything. So correction: you can make any change to your entire setup as long as it is cali carb approved....which is not many things IMHO hence why I generalized and said what I did. But sure - you technically right. I just don't usually give that much credit as the list of approved devices is typically shorter than people would believe after reading such a statement (and getting their hopes up).

Not sure if I'm understanding "pre box" but I failed due to this zero sports air intake pipe which really doesn't do much besides look good (and my Fully recirculating BOV).

Old 12-13-2016, 04:50 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Wangta
Not sure if I'm understanding "pre box" but I failed due to this zero sports air intake pipe
I suspect the tech didn't know the rules on it and failed you out of ignorance. Go someplace else, that part has nothing to do with the smog system and is exempt. However that said, bright chrome, I can see where it attracts too much attention. The key to passing visual is low key parts, you would be surprised what you can get away with when things look "stock"
Old 12-13-2016, 01:56 PM

Car Info: '06 Subaru Forester STI
Originally Posted by Overbear
I suspect the tech didn't know the rules on it and failed you out of ignorance. Go someplace else, that part has nothing to do with the smog system and is exempt. However that said, bright chrome, I can see where it attracts too much attention. The key to passing visual is low key parts, you would be surprised what you can get away with when things look "stock"
True dat. I went to a "gold star" smog shop or whatever the top smog shop designation is. Why? Its right next to my house and I wanted to limit my driving with the stock DP since I'm not tuned for it. But anyways, this piece as well as the BOV are easy peasy to swap out. But for the OP, I'd just keep a set of stock stuff for when you need to smog. And don't do any crazy things like deletes, etc that can't be undone easily.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT
Thanks for all the advice. I was going to swap my intake, DP, and BPV. I will also put on my engine cover to make the engine bay look more stock.

If anyone knows of any more mod friendly smog shops can you please PM me.

Happy New Year!