Moving to the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I live in Union City and drive 84 (Dumbarton Bridge) everyday to Mountain View and have been for over 7 years.

Yeah, sometimes it can be a PITA. The other day there was a fatal accident and they closed University off. That was a 1.5hr commute to work. But usually it's only about 40mins to work. Coming back can be 45-75mins. Just depends on accidents and things like that.

Overall, it's really not THAT bad. Rent in our area is probably $2400 for a 3/2 or 4/2 detached home with a 2 car garage, usable side and back yards.

San Mateo would warrant crossing the San Mateo bridge since GoPro is right off 92 at the top of the hill.

If he's a 8-5, I'd probably live in Hayward at Eden Shores or in Union City and commute. Sometimes it will suck, but most of the time it will just be a 45min-60min drive.
The crazy thing is, is that even if you only drive 45 minutes each way, everyday 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, you spend a little over 15 days in the car commuting.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Snoopy408
The crazy thing is, is that even if you only drive 45 minutes each way, everyday 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, you spend a little over 15 days in the car commuting.
Yeah, but much better job/salary this way.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Overbear
That is regular hours...for those of us with real jobs.
4AM is not regular commuting hours.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Yeah, but much better job/salary this way.
Oh totally, not arguing that. I was just saying is kinda insane if you actually think about it. Over two weeks in the car just to and from work, a year.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
4AM is not regular commuting hours.
It is for me
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
If you like the coast, surfing, hiking or layed back lifestyle check out Lindamar on the south end of Pacifica. Its a beach town in a little sunny pocket in Pacifica that actually gets much better weather then the surrounding areas on the coast. Its a little off the radar I would say since most people associate Pacifica with the foggy Northern area. People who live in this area know what i mean. Most places there are 3bedroom 1 bath houses with 2 car garages and small yards. Your about 15min to the SF sunset and would be 20min or so from San Mateo. Ive also lived in Half Moon Bay for a few years. In comparison, I would say Half Moon Bay has better food options hands down and a small downtown, but less access to other areas (like San Fran or Daly City for shopping). Personally I like Lindamar more but Half Moon Bay has alot of cool outdoor stuff also. It all depends on what you like. I lived in the Eastbay also and now that im on this side of the bridge I dont think I would ever move back. I commute from Pacifica to Foster City everday and it takes me 30minutes. I leave at 9:00am and im in at 9:30am. When I lived in Half Moon Bay I commuted to Foster City also and it took the exact same time. The commute from Half Moon Bay isnt bad, the traffic floods in on the weekend and thats when it gets bad. Work hours didnt ever bother me, but for some reason everyone likes to head to Half Moon Bay on the weekends.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
That is regular hours...for those of us with real jobs.
ya Im sure all those deadbeats clogging the freeways from 7-10am and 4-7pm are all on their way to pick up their welfare check or to their crack dealers lol
Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 AM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Late to reply, but San Bruno, Pacifica/Linda Mar, or Union City are my votes.

[Tries not to laugh @ you all paying so much for rent. Even w/ my refi we still pay less than $1500/mo.]

It's a tough market as far as places to live. Find a good balance as to where you decide to live @ versus rent cost vs. income. If you can make it work, do it.

**Just realized why our house value shot up so much, got a bunch of Oracle, GoPro, Google, and Facebook heads buying up all around me.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
It is for me
so true, if you try to get to the bridge by 5am.... no bueno
Old 11-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 99 BDP 2.5RS
Haha, thanks guys! The boyfriend should be flying out the 11th with his dad to search around. The only other thing is that I have to commute to downtown San Jose to work (my mother hired me, ). She's nudging us to be closer to her but she's in south SJ, so that's not happening. I also decided to go to College of San Mateo since it's right next to GoPro.

Although sitting in traffic isn't the my favorite part of the day, I'm not that opposed to it if we find a rad place to live closer to San Mateo, or even Pacifica/Half Moon Bay. I'll only be working part-time so I'm not as concerned.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Bast
Haha, thanks guys! The boyfriend should be flying out the 11th with his dad to search around. The only other thing is that I have to commute to downtown San Jose to work (my mother hired me, ). She's nudging us to be closer to her but she's in south SJ, so that's not happening. I also decided to go to College of San Mateo since it's right next to GoPro.

Although sitting in traffic isn't the my favorite part of the day, I'm not that opposed to it if we find a rad place to live closer to San Mateo, or even Pacifica/Half Moon Bay. I'll only be working part-time so I'm not as concerned.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!
just remember that HMB and Pacifica are really nice this time of year so dont let it fool you. 6-7 months out of the year you are pretty much living in daily fog. And its not just fog sitting over your head, we're talking thick ground level fog where everything is wet ALL the time.
But the months where its sunny its nice
Old 11-29-2013, 06:53 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Originally Posted by Krinkov
just remember that HMB and Pacifica are really nice this time of year so dont let it fool you. 6-7 months out of the year you are pretty much living in daily fog. And its not just fog sitting over your head, we're talking thick ground level fog where everything is wet ALL the time.
But the months where its sunny its nice
I'll agree with that for HMB but not all of Pacifica. In the valley of Lindamar the fog is blocked most the time by the mountains. Theres a reason why all the houses and rent cost more in that area.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Hate slow drivers on the coast
Old 11-29-2013, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by TheFozz
Late to reply, but San Bruno, Pacifica/Linda Mar, or Union City are my votes.

[Tries not to laugh @ you all paying so much for rent. Even w/ my refi we still pay less than $1500/mo.]

It's a tough market as far as places to live. Find a good balance as to where you decide to live @ versus rent cost vs. income. If you can make it work, do it.

**Just realized why our house value shot up so much, got a bunch of Oracle, GoPro, Google, and Facebook heads buying up all around me.
Was there any advice to the OP in this post mr '2011 OG' or did you just want to mention what a financial genius you are, what with your super, lower than rent, re-fi and rocketing house prices?

Originally Posted by ddavis
If you like the coast, surfing, hiking or layed back lifestyle check out Lindamar on the south end of Pacifica. Its a beach town in a little sunny pocket in Pacifica that actually gets much better weather then the surrounding areas on the coast. Its a little off the radar I would say since most people associate Pacifica with the foggy Northern area. People who live in this area know what i mean. Most places there are 3bedroom 1 bath houses with 2 car garages and small yards. Your about 15min to the SF sunset and would be 20min or so from San Mateo. Ive also lived in Half Moon Bay for a few years. In comparison, I would say Half Moon Bay has better food options hands down and a small downtown, but less access to other areas (like San Fran or Daly City for shopping). Personally I like Lindamar more but Half Moon Bay has alot of cool outdoor stuff also. It all depends on what you like. I lived in the Eastbay also and now that im on this side of the bridge I dont think I would ever move back. I commute from Pacifica to Foster City everday and it takes me 30minutes. I leave at 9:00am and im in at 9:30am. When I lived in Half Moon Bay I commuted to Foster City also and it took the exact same time. The commute from Half Moon Bay isnt bad, the traffic floods in on the weekend and thats when it gets bad. Work hours didnt ever bother me, but for some reason everyone likes to head to Half Moon Bay on the weekends.
There's your answer. Pacifica is cheap and really close to the city and everything peninsula. Everybody is way focused on the over exaggerated fog and less focused on the free crab and cheap real estate
Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
But it's pathetica!!!

Quick Reply: Moving to the Bay Area