Moving to the Bay Area

Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 99 BDP 2.5RS
Moving to the Bay Area

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I are relocating to the Bay Area from Portland, OR. He'll be working at GoPro in San Mateo and we'd like to find a house with a garage (2-car would obviously be ideal) to rent. Any suggestions on where to keep an eye on / where to stay away from? A commute isn't out of the question, as long as it isn't insane and we're not looking to live deep in San Francisco.

We're going to start searching the second week of December and would appreciate any input!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:20 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Bast
Hey all,

My boyfriend and I are relocating to the Bay Area from Portland, OR. He'll be working at GoPro in San Mateo and we'd like to find a house with a garage (2-car would obviously be ideal) to rent. Any suggestions on where to keep an eye on / where to stay away from? A commute isn't out of the question, as long as it isn't insane and we're not looking to live deep in San Francisco.

We're going to start searching the second week of December and would appreciate any input!
Most places in the San mateo area peninsula are pretty safe besides east palo alto and fair oaks area In redwood city as far as crime...really great area to live in I live in belmont, just south of San Mateo. ..kind of expensive though
Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by slugrx
Most places in the San mateo area peninsula are pretty safe besides east palo alto and fair oaks area In redwood city as far as crime...really great area to live in I live in belmont, just south of San Mateo. ..kind of expensive though
Thank you! We'll be sure to look close around San Mateo. How's the Mountain View/Sunnyvale area?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Thank you! We'll be sure to look close around San Mateo. How's the Mountain View/Sunnyvale area?
Mountain view isn't too bad, you could look into hayward too
Old 11-17-2013, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Thanks for the input! We'll look into Hayward as well.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Mountain View... Depending on the time you work. I commute from Fremont to Burlingame/San Mateo and it takes me 40 minutes. On the way home, it takes me an hour and 20 minutes minimum leaving between the hours of 4-6. Every once in awhile, it'll take me 2 hours to get home. I have 2 coworkers who live in Mountain view/Sunnvvale and it takes them an hour 30 to get home. Only if you leave work around 7pm, then it'd fine.

Hayward will still take about an hour to commute home because of the 92.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by PaulWalker
Mountain View... Depending on the time you work. I commute from Fremont to Burlingame/San Mateo and it takes me 40 minutes. On the way home, it takes me an hour and 20 minutes minimum leaving between the hours of 4-6. Every once in awhile, it'll take me 2 hours to get home. I have 2 coworkers who live in Mountain view/Sunnvvale and it takes them an hour 30 to get home. Only if you leave work around 7pm, then it'd fine.

Hayward will still take about an hour to commute home because of the 92.
Great information! I really appreciate it. I'm not sure what his work schedule will be, but I'm assuming an 8:00 - 5:00 or 9:00 - 6:00 scenario.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Hope he gets to work with Neal (international sales manager) @GoPro!!!! My dad knows him very well and hes an awesome guy.

Rent wise you're probably looking at $1800+ I would assume, our studio unit in Half Moon Bay is on the really cheap side at $800 sooooo.... most places the same size is at around 1k.

Traffic in the bay area is becoming LA status. 101 is always congested from 7-10:30am and 4:30-8pm 280 is backed up around the palo alto area during similar hours.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Heedz
Hope he gets to work with Neal (international sales manager) @GoPro!!!! My dad knows him very well and hes an awesome guy.

Rent wise you're probably looking at $1800+ I would assume, our studio unit in Half Moon Bay is on the really cheap side at $800 sooooo.... most places the same size is at around 1k.

Traffic in the bay area is becoming LA status. 101 is always congested from 7-10:30am and 4:30-8pm 280 is backed up around the palo alto area during similar hours.
He mentioned our rent can be up to $3,000, so that leaves a lot of room to work with. I'm not looking forward to the traffic, haha. But Portland has gotten worse the past couple years too; not that it's any comparison to LA.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
He mentioned our rent can be up to $3,000, so that leaves a lot of room to work with. I'm not looking forward to the traffic, haha. But Portland has gotten worse the past couple years too; not that it's any comparison to LA.
Oh if you have a cap of $3000 you'll definitely find something nice around here.

Yeah. I commute from the coast to Milpitas for classes and...... it's at night a 50-55minute drive. Sometimes it's 1.5-2.5hrs....
Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Thanks for the input! We'll look into Hayward as well.
Hayward? The roads are crap and the neighborhoods are not that great unless you live past Mission blvd. If you're going to live in the East Bay I would suggest Fremont. I would say Sunnyvale and Mt. View are nice options and you wouldn't have to pay the bridge toll fee on your commute to work.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Will you bring me a Dutch taco please?

San Mateo, San Carlos and Belmont are nice. I live in two bedroom apartment and rent is $1750, that's a good deal for Palo Alto.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon silver
Anything is supper nice except epa epas no bueno
Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Haward/San Leandro is going to be your best bet for affordable with a nice garage.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 AM
White Lightning

Car Info: Built, 6-Speed, E85, #pluskey 06 Wagon
There is a really nice neiborhood in Hayward behind Costco. Rent is right in your range, garage is almost guaranteed, and you are right by 92.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving to the Bay Area