Magic The Gathering or Yugioh or Pokemon

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by sigma pi
Yes "Co worker"

D&D **** right there.
No seriously though, never played it nor any of the others, one of the guys he played against is still @ 1800Radiator in SantaClara.

Like I got any time to be playing board games? I get in enough trouble sitting here sneaking in online time with the daughter running around and watching cartoons.

As far as D&D I'll happily admit I played it a little bit as a young teenager. I got all my books/etc from 1987 still. They're in great shape too because like most board games, cards, etc, I tossed them aside to ride bikes and wrench. Make me an offer.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
I used to play and still have decks for Magic: The Gathering. I would probably need to modify them again as I tweeked one of my main decks and was not pleased with how it turned out.

As for the game itself. Being that it is a card game it could range from very cheap to very expensive depending on how in depth you want to get. There are a lot of Starter Kits out there that can get you setup and ready to play fairly quickly. There seems to be a lot of new rules that go along with the newer sets (which they still have new sets coming out for the game so it is still alive). From what I have seen, the newer sets basically took a lot of what the older sets did where you would have to use a combination of cards and they combined those in to single cards now or have set rules to get your combo cards out far quicker than previous sets did.

Is it addictive? Depends on your personality and who you play with. If you get at least 1 or 2 other people to play then you can start getting in to it and it can become addictive. However, if you are the only one playing and don't know anybody else that you can play with chances are you might buy decks and booster packs but end up quickly backing out of playing because it does require at least a 2nd person to play against as just building decks is no fun if you can't test them out to see how well they work or what needs to be tinkered with.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Slowly
I have been a MTG guy since 4th edition (90's). I sold off my collection and spent more time on pen and paper or PC gaming. recently got back into MTG though.

Originally Posted by TheFozz
Goto Game Castle on Coleman in Santa Clara. Co-Worker used to go there for games.

1350 Coleman Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95050
A month after getting back into it, My brother and I went to a tournament, at the place Fozz is talking about, the style of play is what Darkonion has listed here:

Originally Posted by darkonion
Nice! On Sept. 7th, there's a Celebrate Magic event. According to the website, there are a bunch of locations participating. Completely free. The format is...

The event gives you one booster pack. You open it up, and see what you got. Then you choose from 1 of 5 theme/pre-constructed decks. Customize your deck a little bit. Then, you play a bunch of games and fill out a score card. After you play, you present the scorecard to organizer and they give you another booster pack.
We were definitely counted out by the nerds, being that we looked like the guys who picked on them in high school, haha. But we both cleaned house, both went undefeated in our brackets, and even got a couple super nerds to rage. It was awesome. I love strategy games, and being under estimated by people.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by Goss408
I have been a MTG guy since 4th edition (90's). I sold off my collection and spent more time on pen and paper or PC gaming. recently got back into MTG though.

A month after getting back into it, My brother and I went to a tournament, at the place Fozz is talking about, the style of play is what Darkonion has listed here:

We were definitely counted out by the nerds, being that we looked like the guys who picked on them in high school, haha. But we both cleaned house, both went undefeated in our brackets, and even got a couple super nerds to rage. It was awesome. I love strategy games, and being under estimated by people.
The rage comment made me LOL. :P

So... anyone want to play a few games sometime?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Slowly
The rage comment made me LOL. :P

So... anyone want to play a few games sometime?

It was pretty epic. Dudes refusing to finish matches, arguing with judges about mechanics of cards, everything you could imagine from a guy with individual card sleeves, a gaming mat, and his lucky MTG shirt losing to a dude in a backwards DC hat, dickies, and some skate shoes, haha.

I'm always down to play games, but really only have newer cards from M13+
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I had some from back in high school '96. Some friends got into it so I did to play them. Never really got competitive or anything. Had bought enough to have 2 decks and some extra. I have no idea if I still have them or not. I think I do in a box somewhere.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
I love MtG. Why was the AUDT closed anyways... ..
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Goss408
It was pretty epic. Dudes refusing to finish matches, arguing with judges about mechanics of cards, everything you could imagine from a guy with individual card sleeves, a gaming mat, and his lucky MTG shirt losing to a dude in a backwards DC hat, dickies, and some skate shoes, haha.

I'm always down to play games, but really only have newer cards from M13+
No problem. I only have cards from M14.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by rau
One of the mods was being a tool.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Stacheless Cholo

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by Overbear
I played MtG back when it was THE game to play (90's), sold all my cards in 95(6?) down in san diego at a place called "red dwarf games" for $3000 in store credit, and $1800 in cash. Ended up buying into Games Workshop "Warhammer 40k" and ive been hooked ever since (damn game has sucked up 10's of thousands of dollars from me over the years)

But card games.... MUNCHKIN! I am the master at that game. I can rock it, even taken 2nd place at few gaming conventions (between loosing WH40k games)
Funny you say Warhammer, I work with a guy whos really into that, says he has a tournament in Phoenix next month or something.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
One of the mods was being a tool.
Says the attention *****.

You are worse than a woman.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
Originally Posted by rau
cuz i was flaming on soggynoodles.

hahahahaa
Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 AM

I think I am going to take the plunge and give Friday Night Magic a go. I am complete noob, but I have a nasty creatures deck that I think will do half decent!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by x002x
cuz i was flaming on soggynoodles.

hahahahaa
Name:  S9RZvgY.gif
Views: 5
Size:  2.00 MB
Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
I sense an i-club board games meet some time soon

I used to play MtG and SW:CCG competetively in the 90s. Settlers & Munchkins are fun games, right now my friends and I play Innovation.

Quick Reply: Magic The Gathering or Yugioh or Pokemon