Looking for room to rent and place to live asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon Stage 2

Whats up fellow iclubers my lease is up at the end of this month and the property management are not giving me an option to renew it.which means they just want to to kick me out to raise the rent for new people. this means i have no place to live. i do have a steady job, been there for about 4yrs. i can afford about 700$ a month. im pretty laid back and chill. I clean up after myself. i do enjoy 420 and have a medical card. im down to earth and drama free. if anyone has anything or knows of someone that maybe has something available please let me know. if i dont find something soon i will be homless and i dont really wanna live in my subi wagon

THANK YOU
Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 2008 STi
i got a room bro, but im in seaside
Old 04-20-2015, 11:46 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Ergh something is missing here...

If you are already there, they have to give you an advance option to renew the lease or just have you go onto month-to-month payment from your old lease (in a short nutshell). I am guessing they renewed your lease before if you were there for 4 years and a great tenant? They cannot just refuse to renew your lease or "just kick you out"...that is a forced eviction (or at least that's how you are making it sound) and requires lengthy legal action in California...unless of course you breached a contractual clause or done something really egregious. If the former is really the case, then there are ways to fight it that avoids you becoming homeless. California has really good tenant laws in that regard. However, that's assuming you are not leaving anything out...

Just trying to understand your situation to make a proper recommendation...

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-20-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon Stage 2
no we have only been there for one year. and our lease is up at the end of this month. they sent us a letter in the begging of this month stating that they are not going to give us a renewal on our lease nor do we have the option for a month to month. they are slumlords and i really believe they just want to raise the rent. please let me know of anything
Old 04-20-2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 02'WRXWGN
no we have only been there for one year. and our lease is up at the end of this month. they sent us a letter in the begging of this month stating that they are not going to give us a renewal on our lease nor do we have the option for a month to month. they are slumlords and i really believe they just want to raise the rent. please let me know of anything
Holy **** if that's the case, they cannot do that unless they can claim breach of contract or something similar. Read through the below links...it will give you a starting point on your rights and where to contact.

My memory is fuzzy...but if they just want you out, they need to give you a longer notice period (60+ days?) and offer relocation reimbursement for your inconveniences. They cannot deny you residence just because. I am not against adjusting rent for inflation or current market conditions...but there is a right and wrong ways to go about it (if that's their motive). That's where I would start, keep all communications in professional and in writing...ask for longer move out period AND search and relocation expenses because you did not plan to move and it is an unnecessary hardship for you.

If they refuse, refer to whatever tenant rights you have and say you pursue legal action...if they still don't budge, file a case against them and don't move out. If they have the brass ***** to involuntarily evict you (change the locks while you are not home and/or throw your stuff out of the street)...contact me for lawyer info that will make them wish they were never born.

If you have to meet with them in person, do not do it alone or bring a tape recorder and inform them you will record the conversation to protect your consumer rights. Furthermore, follow up any verbal conversation with email or letters confirming your understanding of what was said.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-20-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
My memory is fuzzy...but if they just want you out, they need to give you a longer notice period (60+ days?)
Yup, when I lived in my old place in Fremont the prop management gave us a 30 day notice to move out at the beginning of the month... knowing our rights as tenants, I waited till the LAST day of the month to notify them that legally they were supposed to give us a 60 day notice. Once they acknowledged that, they had to give us an ADDITIONAL 60 days from the point that we received a letter in writing showing there was a mistake on the move out notice.

Realistically, you probably have until the end of June to get out of there but depends if you need that much time or not.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Holy **** if that's the case, they cannot do that unless they can claim breach of contract or something similar. Read through the below links...it will give you a starting point on your rights and where to contact.
The way things are going now sometimes they can legally present no option. In truth it's no "sensible" option, but, still, the message is clear. We had some issues with an apartment we were renting in San Mateo where our move-in rent was $2199. They were renovating the places and there would be a moving-van gangbang every weekend and we finally found out why when the renewal came. $3299 for a year lease or $6,000 a month for month-to-month.

Basically they are asking "are you this stupid, or THIS stupid?" and we chose option C. It as very hard to find a place to rent even with 60 days notice, but we did. At the same time that was shocking as well, finding $3k being the low end for a 2-3b house. We looked at several places that were around $3,500 where they wanted a first, last and a pet deposit all equal to the rent - yes that is correct - $10,500 after tax cash down to move into a $#%&ing rental. Can't take it anymore, I am not cut out for this crap.

A friend just moved into a very small 2b apartment in San Mateo - the rent is just under $4k/mo. I don't even/can't even.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
How in the blue hell can you guys pay that much for rent!!!!

I OWN my home, and our mortgage is only 1642 a month. That is on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1900sq, on a corner lot, in a good part of town.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

I don't understand why a home OWNER doesn't have the right to set the price of rent out of contract however they want.

that aside, I hope the OP finds a place.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Overbear

I OWN my home, and our mortgage is only 1642 a month. That is on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1900sq, on a corner lot, in a good part of town.
Very simple. Because the market bears it. Bay Area is one THE most desirable places to live in the country. Something something supply and demand something something.

Also, not everyone is financially able or wants to deal with headaches of ownership; property taxes, maintenance, loans, property values, inability to quickly move to take advantage of a job opportunity, etc etc etc...

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
The way things are going now sometimes they can legally present no option. In truth it's no "sensible" option, but, still, the message is clear. We had some issues with an apartment we were renting in San Mateo where our move-in rent was $2199. They were renovating the places and there would be a moving-van gangbang every weekend and we finally found out why when the renewal came. $3299 for a year lease or $6,000 a month for month-to-month.

Basically they are asking "are you this stupid, or THIS stupid?" and we chose option C. It as very hard to find a place to rent even with 60 days notice, but we did. At the same time that was shocking as well, finding $3k being the low end for a 2-3b house. We looked at several places that were around $3,500 where they wanted a first, last and a pet deposit all equal to the rent - yes that is correct - $10,500 after tax cash down to move into a $#%&ing rental. Can't take it anymore, I am not cut out for this crap.

A friend just moved into a very small 2b apartment in San Mateo - the rent is just under $4k/mo. I don't even/can't even.
Oh I agree. Bay Area s getting absolutely ridiculous. It sucks that the market bears such prices, but it is what it is. But there is a still legal difference between offering obscene pricing options as a means of "voluntary eviction" and flat out telling them to pound sand with disregard for tenant rights.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-21-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan

They only raised our rent $200 a month for another year, but I'm hoping to get out by the end of the next lease
Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Overbear

Congratulations! That is great. It's difficult to compare one's mortgage on a purchase done "X amount" of years ago with "X amount" of down payment to an apartment lease in 2012. At the same time, it was a 3 bedroom, 1,560 sq ft "garden apartment" in central San Mateo, about a 5 minute walk from CalTrain. Nice property, with a pool, great location if that is what you are into. Some are - and while it's not for me, maybe it took that experience to realize that, and - I did appreciate the convenience of walking everywhere.

So it seems like to some, paying ~2,200 for the freedom of an apartment in a centrally located metro area would be a "steal" compared to your mortgage plus whatever down payment.

Also, not everyone is financially able or wants to deal with headaches of ownership; property taxes, maintenance, loans, property values, inability to quickly move to take advantage of a job opportunity, etc etc etc...
Absolutely. I have lived in a lot of places and it's been fun. Sure the sensible thing to do would have been to invest in real estate back in the early part of this century, but, what can I say. I didn't.

Oh I agree. Bay Area s getting absolutely ridiculous. It sucks that the market bears such prices, but it is what it is. But there is a still legal difference between offering obscene pricing options as a means of "voluntary eviction" and flat out telling them to pound sand with disregard for tenant rights.
I guess there is a technical difference, but, charging nearly 3x the rent is, to me, a big huge "pound sand" with a side order of "$#%& you!."

Looks like they are at around $3100 now for a 3 bedroom which is still crazy, but not bad for one of the highest priced metro areas in the country. You can both hate it and understand it at the same time.

Originally Posted by slugrx
They only raised our rent $200 a month for another year, but I'm hoping to get out by the end of the next lease
That sounds about normal. I have to consider that it was newly purchased and they probably wanted to fill units fast. It just sucked to have rent go up so rapidly. Things worked out okay though, and we got our whole deposit back (as usual).
Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM

I guess there is a technical difference, but, charging nearly 3x the rent is, to me, a big huge "pound sand" with a side order of "$#%& you!."

Looks like they are at around $3100 now for a 3 bedroom which is still crazy, but not bad for one of the highest priced metro areas in the country. You can both hate it and understand it at the same time.
Oh I completely agree from common sense point of view (which is frequently different from legal sense )...

...and $3,100 ain't bad for what you are describing. According to some business publications earlier this year, median studio rates in SF/Peninsula are now ~$2,950 and 1 bedroom are ~$3,450.