Lets talk about chiropractic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM

Car Info: '96 outback
Lets talk about chiropractic

Hey everybody my name is Jereme and I'm currently in chiropractic college at Life Chiropractic College West in Hayward. I've been here for over 2 years and scheduled to graduate in December.

I've been on the forums ever since moving here for school and some of you have met me or had dealings with me. I love the community here and only regret not having more opportunities to hang out.

I'm currently seeing patients in the clinic and am tasked with meeting various requirements to graduate. One of those requirements is to recruit a certain number of new patients to the health center. Incidentally I think most people could benefit from chiropractic care.

If you or anybody you know is interested in trying out chiropractic care then you can post here or send me a pm. Our prices are great and everything I do is overseen by multiple seasoned doctors. I really enjoy helping people and work very hard to help my patients achieve their goals.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 AM

OK so now that we have the introductions out of the way I would like to actually explain what chiropractic is and is not. I will update this thread in a few hours but for now I have some patients to see
Old 03-25-2015, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Originally Posted by Geronimos81
I'm currently seeing patients in the clinic and am tasked with meeting various requirements to graduate. One of those requirements is to recruit a certain number of new patients to the health center. Incidentally I think most people could benefit from chiropractic care.
O rrrrrrrrrly...

Look, I'm sure you're just trying to make a living, advancing your career and what not, and know I myself and my mother have had good experiences with chiropractic in the past, but the whole recruit-to-advance thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I've had classamates push USANA health supliments/"business opportunities" on me (it's oil of snake so far as I can tell), and lately my other mom's been hocking this WFG health/life insurance stuff, and both and those like them seek to leverage the one thing corporations can't touch: one's social capital and networks (including but not nececarily your Faceybooks and Twitters and forums etc.).

I think promoting a product or service should be a natural extension of something quality (and you very well may believe a legitimate good is being presented here, not doubting that), not a mandated step to get your paycheck.

Maybe I'm just old school that way.

Nevertheless, best of luck, just be careful about the Kool-Aid they're serving, and that goes for anyone else here too.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by de_engineered
O rrrrrrrrrly...

Look, I'm sure you're just trying to make a living, advancing your career and what not, and know I myself and my mother have had good experiences with chiropractic in the past, but the whole recruit-to-advance thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I've had classamates push USANA health supliments/"business opportunities" on me (it's oil of snake so far as I can tell), and lately my other mom's been hocking this WFG health/life insurance stuff, and both and those like them seek to leverage the one thing corporations can't touch: one's social capital and networks (including but not nececarily your Faceybooks and Twitters and forums etc.).

I think promoting a product or service should be a natural extension of something quality (and you very well may believe a legitimate good is being presented here, not doubting that), not a mandated step to get your paycheck.

Maybe I'm just old school that way.

Nevertheless, best of luck, just be careful about the Kool-Aid they're serving, and that goes for anyone else here too.
I couldn't agree more. I would love it if the school would do the work and make sure that there are patients lined up for me to see, unfortunately that is not the case. I am not a pushy salesman trying to make money off of anybody. This school is a non-profit and we fit the needs of many but not all.

I think it's important to be honest so that's why I mentioned the requirement and the need for new patients. Personally, I want to help people whether there is a carrot in front of me or not. The only benefit I get from my work in the clinic is the experience. None of my patients will go with me when I leave and I do not get any compensation.

I know it is hard to believe that a stranger is looking out for your best interest, especially when they have a vested interest in getting you to do something. Even doctors who take the Hippocratic oath seem to forget he most important tenet of "first do no harm".

I have been debating the idea of this thread for awhile but ultimately decided that I have lots to offer, nothing to lose and that if I help one person it will have been worth it.

Last edited by Geronimos81; 07-21-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I used to have the students at Palmer College work on me. It's a learning curve, but its also a good way to get care on the cheap
Old 03-25-2015, 01:17 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
OK so now that we have the introductions out of the way I would like to actually explain what chiropractic is and is not. I will update this thread in a few hours but for now I have some patients to see
I am curious to hear your explanations, but I will share my brief experience with this medicinal practice..

While I lived in Chicago, I visited a number of chiropractors for second opinions on a set of X-Ray from my general doctor (whose opinion was confirmed by another MD). There was zero consensus between them. All had dissimilar conclusions about my condition and severity. Of course, they all insisted I sign up for their package deals to get the care I need.

Small issue; there was supposedly nothing wrong with me. I used perfectly healthy X-Rays from a recovery check up on a minor injury...I just wanted to perform a little experiment. And, yes, all of these guys had whatever necessary education and certifications.

EDIT: All that might have been just bad luck, oil of the snake or I might indeed have various spinal conditions requiring long term weekly adjustment visits For the record, I am not a starch defender of traditional medicine or modern medicine either. Those have their own issues.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 03-25-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr

Of course, that might have been just bad luck, oil of the snake or I might indeed have multiple debilitating spinal conditions requiring weekly adjustment visits for the next 10 years
LOL yup. I actually went to a few chiros when I was in undergrad and they couldn't explain what they were doing well enough to satisfy me. I ended up moving a few years later and found myself in need of a chiropractor. I found one and he educated me and explained everything in a way that made complete sense to me.

Not long after that and getting great results under his care I started exploring a career change

I will say that I love chiropractic but I don't think all chiropractors are good representatives or have the patient's best interest in mind. Back in the 80's insurance payed out big to chiropractors but the profession in general took advantage. Now those payouts are scaled way back which created a bunch of starving chiros who have lost their way and now try to sell you on some plan you probably don't need.

I assure you that there are great chiros out there who only want to see you as long as is needed. They are the kind of Dr. who knows that their results will net them endless referrals and don't need that same patient base to come in 2x/week for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by Geronimos81; 03-25-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:14 PM

I appreciate the interest so far people.

What is chiropractic?
Chiropractic is the art, science and philosophy of maintaining a healthy connection between the mind and body. Ultimately we seek to re-align or restore movement to the spine or other joints of the body. By doing this we take stress off of the nerves and allow optimal conduction of nerve impulses.

The nervous system is like the electrical system in your car but much more complex. If there is any kind of interference between the brain and body the signal will be lost or altered. At this point the body and brain are operating on a false assumption or an altered value.

Our body has safety mechanisms that help compensate for a loss of function but these mechanisms are not ideal and certainly should not be depended on for the long term.

Your brain relies on the feedback from all of the sensors in your body to then take that information and select an appropriate action. If the information from the sensors is wrong or altered then the action that is selected is likely to be the wrong one.

Some of the most important sensors in your body are called mechanoreceptors. Feedback from these sensors are critical to basic functions such as balance and coordinated movement. Here's an experiment you can do. Stand in a safe place perhaps right in front of your bed in case you lose your balance. Stand with your feet together and look straight ahead. Now close your eyes. If your balance gets worse it is likely because of a lack of mechanoreceptor feedback from your feet and ankles. The reason it gets better with your eyes open is because your brain noted the lack of signals and is now using your eyesight to compensate.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Many people would like to shove chiropractic into a corner where only musculoskeletal complaints can be addressed (such as back pain). As it turns out we get excellent results with these kinds of complaints but it isn't because we only addressed the muscles or mechanical deficiencies.

I obviously am a little biased against western medicine. Don't get me wrong, western medicine has achieved some miraculous things. If I'm in a bad accident or have an infection I'm going to the hospital and getting cared for.

I think where western medicine is lacking is in patient care. Does it make sense that when someone is in pain we give them pain killers? Are they in pain because of a lack of pain killers? Ultimately there has to be a cause of this pain and it stands to reason that if it can be corrected the pain will go away.

This is something that really resonated with me before I knew I wanted to be a chiropractor. The central nervous system is encased in bone. That bone is divided up into various movable segments. If one of these segments stops moving or becomes degenerated it can cause altered communication. Altered communication leads to dysfunction and later disease. If the immobile segment can have motion restored to it then it will also restore function to that portion of the nervous system which controls almost all functions of the body.

The root cause is detected and corrected and the problem is eliminated through natural means.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
I used to have the students at Palmer College work on me. It's a learning curve, but its also a good way to get care on the cheap
I have some good friends that have transferred to Palmer in San Jose because they have a great sports chiropractic program. I'm glad you had a good experience and yeah it is definitely a learning curve. I do a very specialized technique that requires extremely detailed analysis and precise adjusting. I've definitely grown exponentially in my ability in the last few months of seeing patients.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
My wife is a D.O., I get adjusted all the time. Good stuff.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by EpsilonK
My wife is a D.O., I get adjusted all the time. Good stuff.
Awesome!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM

Just thought I would bump this up. I haven't given up on my fellow Subie enthusiasts.

I'll post up some links to the technique I specialize in soon

Last edited by Geronimos81; 07-22-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:16 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
I would be careful about advertising your services (especially with specific prices) and business as one typically needs to be a vendor. However, I never seen a non-automotive case, but still won't be surprised if you get a nasty gram from an admin
Old 07-21-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I would be careful about advertising your services (especially with specific prices) and business as one typically needs to be a vendor. However, I never seen a non-automotive case, but still won't be surprised if you get a nasty gram from an admin
I didn't even think about that but maybe they will forgive me since we are a non-profit. I will refrain from putting anymore pricing up and if they want me to take it down I will do it.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about chiropractic