laws on cooling systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:15 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I can tell you back when I worked at a shop that did smogs... if anything was obviously aftermarket and didn't have a CARB #, our tech would fail them.
There is a huge penalty for smog techs guys if they guess wrong, and no incentive to take a risk on a car they aren't sure about.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Page 76

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...ce%20Guide.pdf

No EO number checks are required on gasoline vehicle intercoolers with stock turbos but that kind of **** happens when the tech is afraid any mistake is going to equal a $2000 ticket and a possible loss of his license. I too always err on the side of caution.
You do know, if a tech fails you on something that is NOT a violation, you can file a complaint and they will get the same ticket and be up for review of license. Remember this, and if the idiots try to fail you or say "thats not smog legal" when it is in fact 100% legal, threaten to call them in.

I have twice now, and both times they pulled out their books, saw I was right, and passed me.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by jdblock

Fmic is legal for turbo cars that didn't come with an intercooler, if you're adding to the system. You cannot change the location of your stock intercooler.
It says for gas engines that are OEM turbo intercoolers don't need OE numbers.

If your car is OEM turbo, no intercooler it fits into that. But the rules does not say it has to be stock location.

Diesel have to have OE numbers.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

I read it the same way as you but I've personally turned away FMICs. Just not worth risking my license for a $50 smog incase BAR interprets that rule a different way
So what you're saying is if I roll through to you with just 1 cat and not 3, you'll fail me. Noted... Haha
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
My Process West TMIC passed smog no problem. I was a little worried about that, but the shop passed my car with flying colors, and all I did was put the stock airbox back on.

For reference, I have:

GST Tuned via Access Port V3
Perrin Dual Catted DP
Milltek catback
Grimmspeed catless up pipe (with missing EGT sensor)
Process West TMIC
Koyo Radiator
Samco Hoses

And I passed no problem.

As for cooling systems, radiators, overflow canisters, etc., shouldn't have anything to do with smog.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:32 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Overbear
You do know, if a tech fails you on something that is NOT a violation, you can file a complaint and they will get the same ticket and be up for review of license. Remember this, and if the idiots try to fail you or say "thats not smog legal" when it is in fact 100% legal, threaten to call them in.

I have twice now, and both times they pulled out their books, saw I was right, and passed me.
I've yet to see a single instance where a tech who is overly cautious and fails someone gets a ticket UNLESS done on an undercover car. I've re tested a few cars that failed elsewhere and passed them because the other shop messed up. I ask them to go back to the original shop and ask for their money back.

If BAR gets involved, BAR will call the shop and tell them to refund the customers money. BAR can't make the shop refund the money but they try and mediate before telling the customer to take it to small claims court. They will likely send the shop a few undercover cars in the future to make sure they are catching stuff like wrong EO numbers on cats, disconnected pcv valves, wrong timing and missing evap canisters.

I've had a few hard asses like yourself that try to make me do smogs I don't feel comfortable with. I simply abort the test, don't charge the customer a cent and tell them to kindly **** off. My license is my livelihood and I'm not risking it for some know it all joe schmo.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
So what you're saying is if I roll through to you with just 1 cat and not 3, you'll fail me. Noted... Haha
My hands are tied but I would tell you ahead of time before charging you anything. I find it avoids conflict if I tell you straight up instead of after the fail report that reads tampered on it.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 08-01-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
^^ How would you react if you saw a car that came in with most of a FMIC installed but a TMIC in use? (They just but the TMIC in to pass smog but didn't remove the entire FMIC.)
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi

I've had a few hard asses like yourself that try to make me do smogs I don't feel comfortable with. I simply abort the test, don't charge the customer a cent and tell them to kindly **** off. My license is my livelihood and I'm not risking it for some know it all joe schmo.

My hands are tied but I would tell you ahead of time before charging you anything. I find it avoids conflict if I tell you straight up instead of after the fail report that reads tampered on it.
Ok, but there is a HUGE difference between what you do (being up front and/or not charging) and the vast majority of the CROOKS that call themselves "smog shops". You/they are licensed to do a job, do it ****ing right, know your ****, and obey the rules you are certified to follow, not to hard to do right?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:59 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
^^ How would you react if you saw a car that came in with most of a FMIC installed but a TMIC in use? (They just but the TMIC in to pass smog but didn't remove the entire FMIC.)
No issue if its disconnected. Similar to how some refs don't allow T's on vacuum lines that go to aftermarket boost gauges. Just plug the line and leave it dangling and its a pass.

Originally Posted by Overbear
Ok, but there is a HUGE difference between what you do (being up front and/or not charging) and the vast majority of the CROOKS that call themselves "smog shops". You/they are licensed to do a job, do it ****ing right, know your ****, and obey the rules you are certified to follow, not to hard to do right?
I agree, there are a lot of crooks in the industry but even BAR says to smog the vehicles as they come in so technically they're doing their job. As far as making mistakes, that's not right and they should refund your money or offer you a free retest if they screwed up and failed you when they shouldn't have.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:12 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
No issue if its disconnected. Similar to how some refs don't allow T's on vacuum lines that go to aftermarket boost gauges. Just plug the line and leave it dangling and its a pass.
Interesting. That's good info to have. Thank you.