laws on cooling systems

Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
laws on cooling systems

Anybody know if altering the cooling system is legal here? Im wondering about the coolant reservoir Killerb makes. It combines it into the wiper tank to free up space.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Shouldn't be. It's not related to emissions what so ever. But hell, some techs consider heat shields a visual fail.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
I will have to dig it up but there is a bulletin/memo/guide for the State Refs/Smog stuff that even states intercoolers are not part of the emissions system and therefore are exempt. It's here on I-Club somewhere.

Cooling system as Heedz says has no bearing on emissions control devices.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by apetron
I will have to dig it up but there is a bulletin/memo/guide for the State Refs/Smog stuff that even states intercoolers are not part of the emissions system and therefore are exempt. It's here on I-Club somewhere. Cooling system as Heedz says has no bearing on emissions control devices.
Intercoolers are as long as they are in the factory location. You can throw the largest top mount on. But you cannot front mount it.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Originally Posted by Heedz
Intercoolers are as long as they are in the factory location. You can throw the largest top mount on. But you cannot front mount it.
Stock location intercoolers are fine and dandy only if they have an EO number.

My Perrin TMIC (Perrin being based in Oregon, and making mostly products "for off road use only") did not pass last smog, even though per what I read in the CA smog code, it should have been fine.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:19 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by de_engineered
Stock location intercoolers are fine and dandy only if they have an EO number.

My Perrin TMIC (Perrin being based in Oregon, and making mostly products "for off road use only") did not pass last smog, even though per what I read in the CA smog code, it should have been fine.
Page 76

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...ce%20Guide.pdf

No EO number checks are required on gasoline vehicle intercoolers with stock turbos but that kind of **** happens when the tech is afraid any mistake is going to equal a $2000 ticket and a possible loss of his license. I too always err on the side of caution.

As far as cooling system mods go, I don't see anything that says they're illegal. Aluminum radiators and expansion tanks should be perfectly ok. Even though its legal, some techs will not want to touch your car for smog with any modifications. Again not their fault because the BAR is so trigger happy about ticketing techs on any mistakes.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 07-31-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

^ So I was right when I read that section of the code :|

I took my car to another smog center by work, after I threw my stock intercooler back on, and the tech there told me my Perrin short ram/Blitz intake + MAF mount failed visual b/c no EO number (even though it passed last smog - law change?), and that I just needed to show him a CARB sticker with a number to pass. One for either part would do.

Why a silicone tube isn't legal is beyond me, though the Blitz being made in Japan I can see how it wouldn't have any need to be CA kosher. Tech was an oldish Vietnamese guy. Dunno.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
When I read the BAR paper, to me, it reads like even front mounts are legal. BOV has to be recric though.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM

Ive failed before because of my bpv being a cobb one which isnt very flashy at all.

My large tmics have never caused issues for me but i rubbed off the logo on it. I would like to clean up the cluttered engine bay some so was just curious about the coolant tanks. Sounds like I should be ok as long as I dont get someone having a bad day.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

You do you deal (or don't?) with the meth kit btw? I'm a bit lazy to check your build thread to see where your injection point is, or if it's readily visable.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM

Theres 2 nozzles underneath the intercooler, not really visible. It passed fine last time, but most people wouldnt know its there.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by de_engineered
^ So I was right when I read that section of the code :|

I took my car to another smog center by work, after I threw my stock intercooler back on, and the tech there told me my Perrin short ram/Blitz intake + MAF mount failed visual b/c no EO number (even though it passed last smog - law change?), and that I just needed to show him a CARB sticker with a number to pass. One for either part would do.

Why a silicone tube isn't legal is beyond me, though the Blitz being made in Japan I can see how it wouldn't have any need to be CA kosher. Tech was an oldish Vietnamese guy. Dunno.
The Perrin short ram/Blitz intake was technically supposed to fail last cycle too but the tech let it slide for whatever reason. Within the last two years, BAR has upped their disciplining/fines for techs which is why more techs are actually paying attention to everything now and failing more cars.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
When I read the BAR paper, to me, it reads like even front mounts are legal. BOV has to be recric though.
I read it the same way as you but I've personally turned away FMICs. Just not worth risking my license for a $50 smog incase BAR interprets that rule a different way
Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
The Perrin short ram/Blitz intake was technically supposed to fail last cycle too but the tech let it slide for whatever reason. Within the last two years, BAR has upped their disciplining/fines for techs which is why more techs are actually paying attention to everything now and failing more cars.
Last smog was for the sale if the car. The seller was a bit worried about it passing possibly b/c the intake, but it did. So didn't seem like he had a hook or anything.

Like I said about the last tech telling me to just show a sticker, goes to show what a farce the inspection process can be - looking legit at that one instance, and that's it. I wanted to see if I just showed him a CAI (w/EO) I picked up if that would be enough. Car's in the shop now, and the CAI is being put on anyway, so we may never know.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Fmic is legal for turbo cars that didn't come with an intercooler, if you're adding to the system. You cannot change the location of your stock intercooler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: laws on cooling systems