Job thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
Originally Posted by Overbear
Bull ****ing ****. I was out of work for 9 ****ing months, and I am a highly skilled IT tech/manager. Perhaps when you are a ****ing burger flipper (I assume that is all you know how to do) its easy, but when you are at my level, and make $40+ a hour, it ain't ease at all to find a job and I got damn lucky to get the one I just did. If it had not been for unemployment I would have lost my house.
What kind of certs are you rocking? Im trying to figure out what I should go for, its becoming very obvious just have a Bachelors isnt going to be enough when I graduate.

Edit: Also hanging out over at r/sysadmin has taught me I know nothing.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
They're more lenient now. Back then it was easier to play the system. I heard people were able to extend their EDD to upwards of 2 years, which would inevitably hinder their chances of landing a job in the future.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Originally Posted by Overbear
Bull ****ing ****. I was out of work for 9 ****ing months, and I am a highly skilled IT tech/manager. Perhaps when you are a ****ing burger flipper (I assume that is all you know how to do) its easy, but when you are at my level, and make $40+ a hour, it ain't ease at all to find a job and I got damn lucky to get the one I just did. If it had not been for unemployment I would have lost my house.
Thanks for not reading what I previously wrote. I wrote you can find a job. I never said it would be in your field or something you want to do. Sometimes you have work a job you hate and that is outside of your field to make ends meet which means even a "High skilled IT tech/manager" might have to get off his high horse and work a service job while he locates a job in his field.

What I'm arguing is you should not be able to live the same lifestyle with the same luxuries on unemployment than you did while employed. In my opinion you should get the equivalent of a full time minimum wage worker while on unemployment. In California your employer pays into unemployment and you pay into disability which normally appears on your check as "EE Disability." Also, its generally not a good idea to have a debt liability you are unable to pay if something happens, such as being laid off.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by ruehl

Thanks for not reading what I previously wrote. I wrote you can find a job. I never said it would be in your field or something you want to do. Sometimes you have work a job you hate and that is outside of your field to make ends meet which means even a "High skilled IT tech/manager" might have to get off his high horse and work a service job while he locates a job in his field.

What I'm arguing is you should not be able to live the same lifestyle with the same luxuries on unemployment than you did while employed. In my opinion you should get the equivalent of a full time minimum wage worker while on unemployment. In California your employer pays into unemployment and you pay into disability which normally appears on your check as "EE Disability." Also, its generally not a good idea to have a debt liability you are unable to pay if something happens, such as being laid off.
While I agree that you should not be able to live the same lifestyle, I can tell you first hand that minimum wage (even at full time) won't pay the bills in California. But that's an entirely different discussion...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by subysteez
While I agree that you should not be able to live the same lifestyle, I can tell you first hand that minimum wage (even at full time) won't pay the bills in California. But that's an entirely different discussion...
Very true which is why something like that would motivate people to try harder to find a job any job that pays more than minimum wage. I just think its a shame poor decisions like living paycheck to paycheck are rewarded when unfortunate events occur.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:17 PM

Car Info: 04 STi AW
Very true which is why something like that would motivate people to try harder to find a job any job that pays more than minimum wage. I just think its a shame poor decisions like living paycheck to paycheck are rewarded when unfortunate events occur.
You sir are a moron with your logic. Telling someone to go from let's say 40 dollars a hour to "minimum wage" Will absolutely make that person lose their home, cars or anything they're paying. Making them not able to find another job cause they can't get to it. Yeah there's a million minimum wage jobs except minimum wage doesn't pay bills not even half of bills. Also there is a max on how much a person can make on unemployment. It's not like they can make 100k a year on it.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by DatAWSTi
You sir are a moron with your logic. Telling someone to go from let's say 40 dollars a hour to "minimum wage" Will absolutely make that person lose their home, cars or anything they're paying. Making them not able to find another job cause they can't get to it. Yeah there's a million minimum wage jobs except minimum wage doesn't pay bills not even half of bills. Also there is a max on how much a person can make on unemployment. It's not like they can make 100k a year on it.
I find it amusing how you have to start off with an attempted insult before you say anything just because I have a different opinion. You would not lose your house, car etc if you didn't leverage them and had a backup plan or savings if something bad occurred. Also, how does having a job make some unable to find another job. Is it difficult sure but it is very possible. There are plenty of non minimum wage jobs out there as well its just in fields people don't care for. The culture has just become one that perpetuates poor financial and life decisions where the consequences are muted. Your earlier example of being able to make double car payments while on unemployment is a perfect example.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
For the record, unemployment doesn't start right away after you lose your job. When the check do start coming, they're based on a percentage of what you were making before.

when you have a larger cash flow, you'll spend it on more things. Why would someone live within a 20k cash flow when they are making 50k? We live in a world that thrives on long term payment structures. When the cash flow stops, stuff is going to crumble. Regardless of how prepared you are.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
For the record, unemployment doesn't start right away after you lose your job. When the check do start coming, they're based on a percentage of what you were making before.
And you pay tax on it too.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Regarding savings, a person should have 6 to 12 months of rainy day cash for all the essentials (rent/mortgage, car, groceries, etc) on top of regular discretionary funds, retirement, and investments.

Job wise, I am always surprised how many people don't want to look outside their zip code, commute or relocate.

Just general observations of what I have seen through work and volunteering.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 11-20-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 PM

I find it amusing how you have to start off with an attempted insult before you say anything just because I have a different opinion. You would not lose your house, car etc if you didn't leverage them and had a backup plan or savings if something bad occurred. Also, how does having a job make some unable to find another job. Is it difficult sure but it is very possible. There are plenty of non minimum wage jobs out there as well its just in fields people don't care for. The culture has just become one that perpetuates poor financial and life decisions where the consequences are muted. Your earlier example of being able to make double car payments while on unemployment is a perfect example.
Did I say i was only collecting unemployment? I actually did save up it's how I was able to fix my car so your assumption of me being a person who has poor financial and life decisions is once again moronic.(take that as an insult also if you're that sensitive lol) And sorry but 1500 a month isn't enough for most people with bills. Where did I say having another job makes you unable to find another? I said why go from $40 a hour to $9 a hour and lose everything instead of collecting unemployment for only 6 months now and maybe a possible extension to a year while trying to find a job that fits them. You're not taking advantage of the system at all because you're working towards another job which is a whole lot easier to find when that's your main focus instead of having to work all day tired then come home and look for a job. You're the only one agreeing with what you're saying for a reason bud.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I heard hobosexual was still trying to get out of his student loans.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Did I say i was only collecting unemployment? I actually did save up it's how I was able to fix my car so your assumption of me being a person who has poor financial and life decisions is once again moronic.(take that as an insult also if you're that sensitive lol) And sorry but 1500 a month isn't enough for most people with bills. Where did I say having another job makes you unable to find another? I said why go from $40 a hour to $9 a hour and lose everything instead of collecting unemployment for only 6 months now and maybe a possible extension to a year while trying to find a job that fits them. You're not taking advantage of the system at all because you're working towards another job which is a whole lot easier to find when that's your main focus instead of having to work all day tired then come home and look for a job. You're the only one agreeing with what you're saying for a reason bud.
This is what you said originally.

I was making enough on unemployment to pay my car twice a month which was around 750 for both insurance and car payment....worth it!
Pretty clear what you said but apparently you don't remember and you fail to see how this is a problem. Rebuilding a motor on a STI while unemployed is a great investment, even if its your only transportation, but what do I know?

Read LxJLthr's post. It is pretty clear he somewhat agrees. By your logic I must be wrong since no one agrees since no one has ever been right despite no one agreeing with them I mean the world is flat right?

Please tell me how stating someone is idiotic and a moron isn't an attempt to insult them? Not that it matters since now I'm apparently just sensitive for calling out your failed argument. Also the fact you had to use an ad hominem to start your argument speaks volumes.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Heedz
I heard hobosexual was still trying to get out of his student loans.
He could always buy a one way ticket to New Zealand that should work...
Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 PM

I said I was making enough to pay my car and insurance twice. Where does it say I used that to pay my car or how long I was even on it? Lol Sorry I had a decent job before the unemployment that I haven't been on for awhile now. You can't argue your same points because every time you give a new one it's flawed. I'm done. Can't argue with a close minded person. Yet that's another insult someone Will just cry about I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Job thread