Interview call back question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Interview call back question

O.k. So... say you had an interview and you think it went well.

How long would you wait to reach out to them to remind them how great you are?

It's a job I really want. Not to often those come along. LOL!

This is kinda like the date question... how long do you wait to call. Haa.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Date - doesn't matter if you don't want it.

Job - next day IMO, some sort of follow up. Couple of days for call. "Hi, when do I start?"
Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
1.) followup note / email the next day.
2.) 5 business days until you call for an update

thats what I always have done.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2012 Impreza WRX
3-4 business days I'd say. Enough time to not be annoying and for them to have gone through the rest of the candidates and be in the decision process.

Even better if you can get through to the manager of the department that you applied for or directly to a name you remember from the interview. Thank them for the time and opportunity to interview and throw in some stuff about how excited you are to be able to help them with (insert mission / vision statement off the website or other propaganda you found out about them and you think a HR or management will eat up). That should do it.

Then again I'm in the military and my interview was "When you sign on this line you may have to give your life for the good of America" I was all like "Merica!" *scribble*
Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
Write them a thank you letter/email within 24hrs.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Shoulda done the thank you letter. Dad always says to do that. Interview was Thursday. Think I'll email today.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
In the modern world a small email is fine. Word it a little like..

"XYZ,

I wanted to drop a quick note and thank you and ABC for spending the time to interview me. I found what you had to say about the company to be right in line with my goals. If you have any further questions please feel free to call me.

Thank you

Your Name"
Old 08-18-2014, 02:43 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
O.k. So... say you had an interview and you think it went well.

How long would you wait to reach out to them to remind them how great you are?
Send a thank you email within 24 hours to each person you interviewed with. Each one needs to be personalized and reinforce/highlight an item from the conversation (critical skill, fit into environment, common interests, etc). It shows effort and interest; more so than just copy and pasting generic thank you replies. Do remember to keep it concise and to the point.

It's a job I really want. Not to often those come along. LOL!

This is kinda like the date question... how long do you wait to call. Haa.
Typically, you should always ask about the company's timeline to make a decision and bring someone on board. That way you can plan accordingly and not stress out (especially if you have multiple opportunities).

Generally, call back periods are 1-2 weeks, but it can vary by the industry and company structure. For example...Government or large mature companies can have very bureaucratic hiring procedures that can take much longer. Smaller or more entrepreneurial companies that don't want to loose it to competitor will make a decision much faster.

If you don't know the exact timeline, follow up on the 6th business day. Again, remind them how great of a contributor you can be.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 08-18-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Email them the following day. The last time I interviewed for a job, I emailed that same afternoon to thank them for their time, let them know how interested I was, etc.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
Email them the following day. The last time I interviewed for a job, I emailed that same afternoon to thank them for their time, let them know how interested I was, etc.
Same. If an employer is interested in you, and you send a follow up within the first 24hrs then it shows that you really want the job. I have never personally called them to follow up, as I know most people hate speaking on the phone, and or will say they are "not in the office".
Old 08-18-2014, 02:51 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Send a thank you email within 24 hours to each person you interviewed with. Each one needs to be personalized and reinforce/highlight an item from the conversation (critical skill, fit into environment, common interests, etc). It shows effort and interest; more so than just copy and pasting generic thank you replies. Do remember to keep it concise and to the point.

Typically, you should always ask about the company's timeline to make a decision and bring someone on board. That way, if you have multiple opportunities, you can plan accordingly and not stress out.

Generally, call back periods are 1-2 weeks, but it can vary by the industry and company structure. For example...Government or large mature companies can have very bureaucratic hiring procedures that can take much longer. Smaller or more entrepreneurial companies that don't want to loose it to competitor will make a decision much faster.

If you don't know the exact timeline, follow up on the 6th business day. Again, remind them how great of a contributor you can be.
^^ This

Sending a personalized thank you note is the best way to poke them and remind them that you'd be a good candidate.

Even if the initial interview wasn't great, you'll continue to make a good impressions with a thank you as opposed to a, "Have you hired anyone yet?" message. Don't even talk about you getting the job. Thank them for their time and wish them luck on their search.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
General Pimpin'

I interviewed with like 10 people over 3.5 hours.

Only have one Contact.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM

I interviewed with like 10 people over 3.5 hours.

Only have one Contact.
Did you ask everyone for business cards?

You can always ask that contact for individual emails with intention of thank everyone personally. If that's doesn't fly, ask if they can forward the notes to those individuals (in MS Word or PDF). If that doesn't work, send that contact a note and try to be a encompassing as possible mentioning 2-3 highlights. Over the last 15 years, I never had to do the very latter in such situation.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
You can probably find them and some contact info on linkedin.

Also the company email format can usually be applied to all emails in you have only one. Example, I have jourdanr@njenius. Yours would be raymondt@njenius. Yuri would be yurik@njenius. etc. If it goes through, cool. If it bounces, you back where you started. No loss.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
You can probably find them and some contact info on linkedin.

Also the company email format can usually be applied to all emails in you have only one. Example, I have jourdanr@njenius. Yours would be raymondt@njenius. Yuri would be yurik@njenius. etc. If it goes through, cool. If it bounces, you back where you started. No loss.
Only risk there is the name is common enough to where there can be multiples of the same person with each one having slightly different version. But great tip nevertheless. I forgot about that one.

Quick Reply: Interview call back question