I knew this day would come :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Seeing carbon in these motors is very common so I doubt that was the issue. I'm still going with an injector issue. Maybe one stuck open or clogged? I saw one instance of a piston melted (albeit nowhere near like yours), and it ended up being an intermittently faulty injector that would stick open and dump fuel.

-- Ed
Wouldn't that support what Lowend's theory about a potential ultra rich condition?
Old 11-13-2015, 11:44 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Wouldn't that support what Lowend's theory about a potential ultra rich condition?
Yep that's what I'm saying. I just think it would be caused by a faulty injector so I'd recommend they get replaced.

-- Ed
Old 11-14-2015, 07:11 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
The motor is in the car... and fired.
But it won't hold idle and is making a popping sound. Car is still at Mann they are communicating with Bill about the tune.

I know the guys at Mann are doing things well. I completely agree with leaving the car and getting the engine sorted before driving it.
... but goddammit I'm sick of waiting for this car to get done.

The injectors (DW 1000's which were new) were sent back to DW and flow checked during the build. Passed with flying colors

This little setback does have to make me question if Bill messed up during the original tune and fried the motor. Not saying he did; but makes me wonder

Last edited by Lowend; 11-14-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:34 AM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
The saga continues... And holy crap that N2O blown piston your friend has mounted is gnarly. Hope you get up and running proper soon man.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Lowend
The motor is in the car... and fired.
But it won't hold idle and is making a popping sound. Car is still at Mann they are communicating with Bill about the tune.

I know the guys at Mann are doing things well. I completely agree with leaving the car and getting the engine sorted before driving it.
... but goddammit I'm sick of waiting for this car to get done.

The injectors (DW 1000's which were new) were sent back to DW and flow checked during the build. Passed with flying colors

This little setback does have to make me question if Bill messed up during the original tune and fried the motor. Not saying he did; but makes me wonder
Funny you say that because it was in a DW1300 that fried the piston I saw. The injectors also "passed with flying colors" when inspected. But one of them still had an intermittent issue of sticking open. It wasn't consistent, so it didn't show up when they tested it. Again, I would highly recommend swapping them out.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 PM

Not the 1st time I've heard poor reviews of the big DW side feeds. I'm going to give Mann/Delicious a chance to get this right. I've very intentionally kept the entire process/parts/billing entirely under their control. The recommended and sold me everything that's gone into the new engine. As far as I'm concerned this is their problem to fix. If there's an injector issue and it cooks the new motor, it's their problem.
And this could be as simple as a loose wire. No one has done anything bad yet, I'm just getting impatient.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Another update, after much testing, We are now certain this is a mechanical issue with the engine. Cam Timing from one side to the other is off.
Outfront rebuilt the AVCS when they did the motor and we are thinking they might have made a mistake putting it back together
I have a bad feeling the motor is coming back out and getting shipped to LA
Old 11-21-2015, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
Not the 1st time I've heard poor reviews of the big DW side feeds. I'm going to give Mann/Delicious a chance to get this right. I've very intentionally kept the entire process/parts/billing entirely under their control. The recommended and sold me everything that's gone into the new engine. As far as I'm concerned this is their problem to fix. If there's an injector issue and it cooks the new motor, it's their problem. And this could be as simple as a loose wire. No one has done anything bad yet, I'm just getting impatient.
If it was bad injectors but they said it passed the test, wouldnt they just say it wasnt the injectors and most likely blame your driving. It seems like thats what would mostly happen since you wouldnt be able to prove it??? Idk just my 2 cents.

Sounds like a tedious process but cant rush perfection. Cant wait to see the numbers on this beast. Post a vid too!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:42 AM

Well Ed - credit where due... It now appears to be the Injectors.
Mann swapped the stock injectors back in with an OTS tune as a test and magic the idle cleaned right up.
SO - top feed conversion is going in.

I've heard nothing good about the larger DW sidefeeds and truth be told I didn't really want to use them. Bill recommended them, since he was doing the tune, I figured to go his way.
I wonder why DW still thinks it's ok to sell these hunks of crap?

Note - Yes I do realize this is probably what caused the melt-down in the last engine.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:45 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Well Ed - credit where due... It now appears to be the Injectors.
Mann swapped the stock injectors back in with an OTS tune as a test and magic the idle cleaned right up.
SO - top feed conversion is going in.

I've heard nothing good about the larger DW sidefeeds and truth be told I didn't really want to use them. Bill recommended them, since he was doing the tune, I figured to go his way.
I wonder why DW still thinks it's ok to sell these hunks of crap?

Note - Yes I do realize this is probably what caused the melt-down in the last engine.
Glad you got it sorted. Seeing that melted piston, it was pretty obvious that it was an injector issue. One note of concern at this point is weather or not the injector issue screwed up your new motor. Generally these things are very sensitive to proper fueling during initial start and break-in. If one of the injectors was that far off, I would be really concerned about potentially glazing or washing down that cylinder and preventing the rings from seating properly (I've seen this a couple times specifically due to a bad injector). Once you put a few hundred miles on it, it would be wise to do a leakdown test to confirm the status of the ring seat.

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:30 PM

DW is being a PITA to Mann about returning the injectors. Gary says I've covered either way, but I don't want him to have to take it in the shorts either.
It's taking all the restraint I have not to call DW myself and start yelling about the $10K+ their crap-injectors cost me.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
DW is being a PITA to Mann about returning the injectors. Gary says I've covered either way, but I don't want him to have to take it in the shorts either.
It's taking all the restraint I have not to call DW myself and start yelling about the $10K+ their crap-injectors cost me.
Ownership of Property > Possession of Property.

If they flow tested and cleared according to DW then they now won't give them back it's either a stunt to remove the issue themselves, or withhold the issue.

I'm gonna say it's the later. Issue an order to comply letter wherein you state that in their refusal to comply initially it's, under business law, wrong and therefore, given there was no prior notice they're allowed to refuse to return product, they are then and now liable for the full value, etc. Hit them with a subsequent to purchase incurred cost suit?

Just a thought.

Last edited by TheFozz; 12-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by TheFozz
Ownership of Property > Possession of Property.

If they flow tested and cleared according to DW then they now won't give them back it's either a stunt to remove the issue themselves, or withhold the issue.

I'm gonna say it's the later. Issue an order to comply letter wherein you state that in their refusal to comply initially it's, under business law, wrong and therefore, given there was no prior notice they're allowed to refuse to return product, they are then and now liable for the full value, etc. Hit them with a subsequent to purchase incurred cost suit?

Just a thought.
I think he's saying they're not allowing Mann to return the injectors for a refund.

-- Ed
Old 12-02-2015, 07:25 PM

DW relented today. To Gary/Mann's credit they pursued this one.
Their crappy reputation combined with being difficult on the return (not to mention melting my engine)...
F-DW we're ordering the Injector Dynamics 1000cc Top feed setup

Ed - what I can I say... I wish I'd listened to you... and you were closer to San Jose in the first place.

Quick Reply: I knew this day would come :(