I had the coolest conversation with a WWII bomber pilot

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I had the coolest conversation with a WWII bomber pilot

At Walmart of all places... This is the second time I've struck up a convo with a WWII vet at Walmart...

We both stood in the magazine aisle when I noticed he was wearing a WWII hat, as well as a flight jacket that was very decorated with patches and pins... Being the WWII buff that I am, I asked him if he served in WWII (as all his patches and his hat were WWII stuff), he first looked at me with a big smile and said "yeah, I served"... I then shook his hand and thanked him for his service in such a pivotal time in earth's history and for putting his life in harms way for the sake of humanity.

He explained that he was a bomber pilot that flew several missions over Germany including Dresden basically carpet bombing the place, which you could tell wasn't very pleasant to talk about for him... He was proud that he defended the world against the **** war machine, however he still thinks about the innocent lives that he and his crew mates were responsible for taking, but his words of wisdom were "But it was all out chaos, it was war, we HAD to do it, it wasn't my choice, I just did my job the best I could". You could tell that it took its toll on him... He was a compassionate man, but he was also very realistic... reminded me a lot of my father actually, and I take after my father.

I dunno, it was just so weird talking to someone who was actually there, someone who was AT Normandy, someone who flew over **** Germany in a bomber against enemy fire dropping bombs and letting them go on cities below... He told me that he was awarded some awards that I can't remember right now, but he explained that they were medals of courage/valor? something like that... He was really old, probably in his 80s, so it was hard to understand him at times as he also had a weird accent (texas maybe? or somewhere back east), but it was def a very amazing experience that not too many folks get to experience... Perhaps it was more special to me because I love WWII history, but I left the conversation elated.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
My grandfather was a WWII bomber pilot.

Got hit with his bay doors open over japan. Flew his plane into the target. It was his 27th mission. He had already been told he could go home whenever he wanted. It was 1 month before the end of the war was declared.

He recieved 3 medals that I know of.

you should treasure that conversation and there are fewer and fewer alive these days. That generation of greatness is unfortunately nearly gone.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
you should treasure that conversation and there are fewer and fewer alive these days. That generation of greatness is unfortunately nearly gone.
WWII Vets are getting fewer and fewer, but the current generation of soldiers that cleared Fallujah house to house against suicide jihadists and are still fighting every day in Iraq, Afghanistan etc.. are also a generation of greatness.

Even though I am anti-war I'm still amazed by the courage of soldiers.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
My grandfather worked on the planes. He also used to load the bodies of the injured into the back of the plane. When he was telling me the story he actually had to stop and catch his breath. His eyes got a little misty and he told me about some pretty graffic stuff that went on. I always had much respect for him, but never realized what he actually did because he didnt like talking about it.
Lots of real American heroes that will soon be gone sadly.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by glenspen
WWII Vets are getting fewer and fewer, but the current generation of soldiers that cleared Fallujah house to house against suicide jihadists and are still fighting every day in Iraq, Afghanistan etc.. are also a generation of greatness.

Even though I am anti-war I'm still amazed by the courage of soldiers.
Very true. Very different war. Still very gnarly.

I know quite a few that have come and gone and two that are still there.

WWII was a whole different game. One that will never be repeated. Next WW is gonna be all about who has the best nukes.

Last edited by OneManArmy; 02-21-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
That's pretty cool - I love those chance happenings where you get a window into history from a first-hand point of view... One of our family friends was a little girl in 1942 and remembered Pearl Harbor very clearly. I remember her talking about it - it was crazy.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
yeah right when i was about to go off for college I ran into a neighbor of mine who spent a good half hour telling his story of how when he volunteered for the army in WWII but couldn't make officer's school because he didn't go to college. fascinating

MAN - Band Of Brothers, 'nuff said. Being a WWII buff too I am SO GLAD to HBO and Spielberg/hanks that they made that series. True this generation will soon completely die out but documentaries such as Band Of Brothers do them the adequate justice and humbling reverence they deserve.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by verc
yeah right when i was about to go off for college I ran into a neighbor of mine who spent a good half hour telling his story of how when he volunteered for the army in WWII but couldn't make officer's school because he didn't go to college. fascinating

MAN - Band Of Brothers, 'nuff said. Being a WWII buff too I am SO GLAD to HBO and Spielberg/hanks that they made that series. True this generation will soon completely die out but documentaries such as Band Of Brothers do them the adequate justice and humbling reverence they deserve.
I wish they would do another one from a different units perspective. Be cool as hell. One of the best series ever created if not the best.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi 2012 STi
Daniel....youre lucky to be forward enuff to talk to people who have been thru what they have. Most people wouldnt strike up a convo with a stranger. I love sitting down and discussing all of the things they saw and did. Its a HUGE HUGE part of what we are now and why our country is so great (even tho society now sucks) I think everyone should have a convo with a Vet....its the most humbling and rewarding times youll ever have.

my grandfather was at normandy, one of the men who liberated aushwitz, received so many medals i cant name them all
my grandmother was a japanese code breaker and recieved a gold star and a silver star to name a few
my uncles were at Midway and normandy as well.
my other grandfather was in the heart of midway.
im the only person on both sides of my family besides my mom who hasnt served! i feel outcast and regret not joining.

i have tons of family and friends who still serve and protect. and even tho im dead set against what were doing over there i support our troops 100%. Just wish they could make it home for my wedding .

when Saving Private Ryan came out our entire family went....everyone was crying and my grandfather had to leave because of the flash backs of that day.

Last edited by blacktraxgirl; 02-21-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by blacktraxgirl
my grandfather was at normandy, one of the men who liberated aushwitz, received so many medals i cant name them all
my grandmother was a japanese code breaker and recieved a gold star and a silver star to name a few
my uncles were at Midway and normandy as well.
my other grandfather was in the heart of midway.
im the only person on both sides of my family besides my mom who hasnt served! i feel outcast and regret not joining.

i have tons of family and friends who still serve and protect. and even tho im dead set against what were doing over there i support our troops 100%. Just wish they could make it home for my wedding .

when Saving Private Ryan came out our entire family went....everyone was crying and my grandfather had to leave because of the flash backs of that day.
Damn, remind me to shake your hand next time I see you
Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I wish they would do another one from a different units perspective. Be cool as hell. One of the best series ever created if not the best.

Yeah I agree. Hell I wish they'd do a LOT more like that. The one thing Band of Brothers does so well above any other other series is the conveyance that WWII is "something of a magnitude which we today simply cannot comprehend" But I think there's already good material to cover the other guys. Like:

Memphis Belle - bombadiers
Flags Of our Fathers / Letters from Iwo Jima - Pacific theater

I DO WISH for:
- a movie/series about the desert campaign with montgomery/rommel
- something about guerillas that is Lawrence of Arabia style
- Something about the Claire Chennault's Flying Tigers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Tigers

Last edited by verc; 02-21-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM

too bad the younger soldiers seem to enjoy killing now days
Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Nice story... thanks for sharing.

Vets like that must just shake their heads at the kiddies fretting over ipods and stuff.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Nice story... thanks for sharing.

Vets like that must just shake their heads at the kiddies fretting over ipods and stuff.
Yep... People that have been through wars and hard times probably really don't understand people that complain about their "problems" today. Whenever I am going through something that is hard for me, I think about those people and what they had to deal with to stay alive (as if I even have a REAL clue what it was like). When I was really little till about age 10 we lived out in the country and didn't have running water, generated out own power, hunted a lot, raised animals for food, etc so I have lived a harder life (wtf is a Nintendo??) but this is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING compared to what infantrymen had to deal with every few minutes out there... I wouldn't last too long but I couldn't even imagine what the young folks of today would do. Hell hath no fury like a kiddie of today that didn't get what he wanted for Christmas.... I played with chunks of wood and stuff. Haha.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
wow, see this is another part why you guys are cool.. my friends look at me weird whenever i see a vet or soldier and thank them... some people just dont understand

Quick Reply: I had the coolest conversation with a WWII bomber pilot