Home Alarms... did they ever disrupt a burglary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Home Alarms... did they ever disrupt a burglary?

Too much home burglary going on.

Although it'll be impossible to know how many times the presence of a home alarm system prevented a break in, anyone know stories where the break in happened, but scared the burglar off?

I'm wondering if these alarm systems are even effective at all.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by chimchimm5

Although it'll be impossible to know how many times the presence of a home alarm system prevented a break in, anyone know stories where the break in happened, but scared the burglar off?

I usually try to take whatever I can in 60 secs or less. Dump the clutch and go. FYI. San Jose PD no longer responds to burglary alarms unless verified by a second source of the event taking place. Too many false alarms and shortage of officers.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:00 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan

I would think that automated lights may help thwart burglary...really bright flood lights that are motion sensor. Or maybe an alarm that sounds off when a window or door is broken
Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi

Locks keep honest people honest, Alarms keep the bad thieves looking for a easier target.

A good home defense firearm however removes the thief/criminal from society and is a net win for us all.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
id recommend getting an alarm. my front door was open after my alarm was trigger. closest thing to the door was my TV in the living room. Yes firearms are suggested. but you figure.. is it worth a gun fire over a tv? you put your entire family at stake just so you can be chuck norris for the moment.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
id recommend getting an alarm. my front door was open after my alarm was trigger. closest thing to the door was my TV in the living room. Yes firearms are suggested. but you figure.. is it worth a gun fire over a tv? you put your entire family at stake just so you can be chuck norris for the moment.
*rolls eyes* its not about being "Chuck Norris" and its not about "a TV". It is about the safety of hearth and home. It is also why you don't yell out, you don't give them a chance to draw a weapon if they have one. Your action is to say in a clear voice "Stop, do not move, I am armed and ready to kill you" if they move *bang* that simple, no hesitation taken. Your life is at risk and you are in danger.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
My opinion is if you get an alarm, get multiple sirens for in the house...and the loudest screechers you can find.

The more painful it is the less likely they are to stay and grab...

Also...dogs...trash hate dogs...and a shotgun for when your home. I don't care how much of a bad *** you think you are...when it comes time for the final final, you WILL miss with a pistol...12 gauge gives you some lee way...
Old 12-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
^ +7 Iron and Baseball bat for the win.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:22 PM

So far (knock on wood) the vast majority of the break ins have been thefts after the thiefs knew the owners would be out of the house.

Home invasion while occupied is another story all together. While a shotgun (or any gun is a great deterrent/defense) I don't know how one would keep it locked safe, still be able to get it in time in all scenarios, and keep it out if the hands of the children in the house.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:01 AM

So far (knock on wood) the vast majority of the break ins have been thefts after the thiefs knew the owners would be out of the house.

Home invasion while occupied is another story all together. While a shotgun (or any gun is a great deterrent/defense) I don't know how one would keep it locked safe, still be able to get it in time in all scenarios, and keep it out if the hands of the children in the house.
Quick safes, I have several. They have spring loaded doors and fingerprint identification. All I have to do is touch it, door is open and I am ready to rock and roll.

AMSEC Safes ? Gun Safes, Security Products, Cash Management Defense Vault - AMSEC Safes - Gun Safes, Security Products, Cash Management
Old 12-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Camera. Set up cameras. One or two in homes, and one or two near your front/back doors.

Have them record to a server or hidden place in your home (basement, attic, etc.).

If nothing else, cameras deter people. Worst case scenario, you have their faces, and potentially even their license plate(s) on video.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
Just don't mount the cameras so high that all anyone can see is the too of the persons head...
That's how 99% get mounted and the video is now worthless...
Old 12-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
or live in a area where it is not ghettolicious and there aren't thieves going around trying to break into homes.
neighborhood watch programs are good enough deterrents where I live, but it's North Valley SJ so the closest thing we get to crime is a dog off leash and bad parking.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
or live in a area where it is not ghettolicious and there aren't thieves going around trying to break into homes.
neighborhood watch programs are good enough deterrents where I live, but it's North Valley SJ so the closest thing we get to crime is a dog off leash and bad parking.
Isn't "north valley" the "Berryessa" area? I used to live there.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Look into 3M security film for windows and better locks for your house. (Most thieves do not enter by picking your lock though). And you can install a product on your doors that make them much harder to kick down. Like these: Door Security Kits Archives - DoorDevil DoorDevil

If someone has to spend one minute trying to get into your house rather than 5 seconds they are more than likely going to move on to the next one.

Lots of good info on r/homedefense.