Hid retailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by slim617
Thanks! that actually make sense.

I have a question though, so are you suggesting.. in purchasing a 55w with a different bulb?

or are you just only saying a higher 55w with the same bulb would work?

any suggestions on a hid that isnt overly priced that will perform just as well?
( like an apple computer vs windows pc comparison)

When a filament in a halogen bulb is burnt brighter, it has a shorter performance life. Thats why they have LL (Long Life) bulbs that are dim but last forever, and Silverstars or Nightbreaker +'s that are brighter but do not last as long.

Same concept goes for a HID bulb and its arc.

Since there are no 55W OEM bulbs or ballasts, the only option would be aftermarket. You can run an aftermarket 55W ballast on the oem rated 35W bulb but it will of course shorten its life span. There are aftermarket 35-55W bulbs that have thicker glass so the bulb does not expel excess heat and burns the reflector bowl. TRS's Morimoto bulbs are supposed to have thicker glass, but they do make new revisions of their products all the time. I would check in with them and see. There are also adapter plugs to use your oem plugs with aftermarket ballasts.

As always, take precaution when upping the power. Some bad products can and have ended in flames. Most work just fine. Also think about the health of your headlight lens. Are they clear and not hazed over? Small things like that also help your lighting efficiency.