Have any of you replaced your power steering hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Question Have any of you replaced your power steering hoses?

in the process of swapping my motor we bent one of the metal sections of the power steering hose. bent it back and it cracked. :| Not sure if it's the high or low presure side off hand...

so to my fellow BAIC: Have you replaced this line before and if so with what? I can't find a part number yet and am hoping that this purchase will not require (more) lube.

2nd Q:
Has anyone replaced their rack & pinion with a remanufactured unit or rebuilt their rack? mine is leaking fluid from the boot that covers the part the steering wheel linkage connects to.

Last edited by mattsn0w; 09-24-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
OE replacements will run you around $300......

Only one way to fix it in my opinion:

I can PM you the parts list from summit racing, cost about $50 for the high pressure line setup, and you can do both high and low pressure for around $80. I got a longer high pressure to route it along the back of the block and under the intake manifold away from the turbo, which is a source of overheating for the power steering system (causes failures and fires!) It also reduces the 7 points of failure that the stock system has.

If you don't feel like being crafty and parting the stuff together, P&L motorsports makes a high pressure hose complete for 90 bucks, but I paid 10 bucks less for both and I already did the work lol.
Attached Thumbnails Have any of you replaced your power steering hoses?-power.jpg  

Last edited by code3suby; 09-25-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Car Info: 06 obp sti
when looking down at the rack from the engine bay, you have the 2 lines coming up. The line on the left is the high psi side and the other one is your low psi side. Im redoing my power steering lines right now and running seamless stainless line that goes from the rack/crossmember up the trans and under the intake manifold right to the fittings on the pump. makes the engine bay cleaner and you dont route powersteering lines next to the uppipe where they can rupture and catch on fire.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by code3suby
OE replacements will run you around $300......

Only one way to fix it in my opinion:

I can PM you the parts list from summit racing, cost about $50 for the high pressure line setup, and you can do both high and low pressure for around $80. I got a longer high pressure to route it along the back of the block and under the intake manifold away from the turbo, which is a source of overheating for the power steering system (causes failures and fires!) It also reduces the 7 points of failure that the stock system has.

If you don't feel like being crafty and parting the stuff together, P&L motorsports makes a high pressure hose complete for 90 bucks, but I paid 10 bucks less for both and I already did the work lol.
please do PM me, or post PN's here!

i'm fine with a better than OEM after market solution, especially if less expensive than OEM!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:33 AM

just make sure you use line thats rated for the high psi scene in a power steering setup. Use line thats rated for around 2000psi. Power steering setups usually see 1000+psi so add in some safety factor and dont be one of "those" guys who use regular braided line and end up busting the line spraying fluid everywhere.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Yup the line I used is PTFE (Teflon) rated at ~ 1900 psi per the manufacturer

Power steering:

Pressure hose - In order from power steering pump to rack

14x1.5mm oring male to -6AN male adapter

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-460614/

-6AN premade stainless steel hose steel female -6AN fittings, saves you mess and headache of making your own hose

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

(I used a 42" with a 90 degree fitting for the high pressure and 36" with a 45 degree fitting for the return line and it ended up being a little too long, I didn't have my motor in so I estimated the measurements, so I'd make your own measurements)

$25-35

14x1.5 mm o-ring female to -6AN male adapter

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-491970/

Return line

16x1.5mm oring to -6AN male adapter

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-491971/

-6AN male to barb fitting

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220756/

For the reservoir, you maintain a piece of your original hosing and hose clamp it to the barb fitting and to the reservior. I'm looking for an aluminum reservoir that has -6AN fittings, maybe you can help me Kmurphy, that way I can eliminate hose clamps all together

Last edited by code3suby; 09-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 AM

So this part list covers the high and low pressure lines? do I order 2x of each fitting per hose (4x total of each fitting, 2x hoses) ?

Yup the line I used is PTFE (Teflon) rated at ~ 1900 psi per the manufacturer

Power steering:

Pressure hose - In order from power steering pump to rack

14x1.5mm oring male to -6AN male adapter

Fragola Performance Systems 460614 - Fragola Performance Systems AN to Metric Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

-6AN premade stainless steel hose steel female -6AN fittings, saves you mess and headache of making your own hose

Fragola Performance Systems P.T.F.E Hose Assemblies - SummitRacing.com

(I used a 42" with a 90 degree fitting for the high pressure and 36" with a 45 degree fitting for the return line and it ended up being a little too long, I didn't have my motor in so I estimated the measurements, so I'd make your own measurements)

$25-35

14x1.5 mm o-ring female to -6AN male adapter

Fragola Performance Systems 491970 - Fragola Performance Systems AN to Metric Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Return line

16x1.5mm oring to -6AN male adapter

Fragola Performance Systems 491971 - Fragola Performance Systems AN to Metric Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

-6AN male to barb fitting

Summit Racing SUM-220756 - Summit Racing® AN to Nipple Twist-Tite Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

For the reservoir, you maintain a piece of your original hosing and hose clamp it to the reservior. I'm looking for an aluminum reservoir that has -6AN fittings, maybe you can help me Kmurphy, that way I can eliminate hose clamps all together
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mattsn0w
So this part list covers the high and low pressure lines? do I order 2x of each fitting per hose (4x total of each fitting, 2x hoses) ?
I may have answered my own Q...

after looking over the parts and the P&L Motors parts it looks like I only need 1 of each fitting.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Car Info: Fast
For the reservoir, you maintain a piece of your original hosing and hose clamp it to the reservior. I'm looking for an aluminum reservoir that has -6AN fittings, maybe you can help me Kmurphy, that way I can eliminate hose clamps all together
Funny you mention that....we were just talking about this yesterday
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 AM

bump. ordered the parts mentioned. i'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Very nice info in here!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by aboothman
Funny you mention that....we were just talking about this yesterday
IN the works, i even have a fitting that will be ready within the week to replace the feed fitting on the power steering unit so you wont have any hose clamps anywhere in the system.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kmurphy
IN the works, i even have a fitting that will be ready within the week to replace the feed fitting on the power steering unit so you wont have any hose clamps anywhere in the system.
Kelly - How much for for one? how many do I need based on the above parts list? I have paypal and will pay you now if you can ship them to me next week.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
ballin' hardware haha
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 PM

This is the fitting and the lasered bracket that gets welded to the fitting allowing you to fasten it to the power steering pump just like oem feed fitting. I know this works with the big plastic feed fitting but am unsure if the pumps that use the aluminum feed fitting have the same dimensions as the pump with the plastic fitting. So i can only say this works for pumps with the black plastic feed fitting until i can test fit this fitting on another pump. And again this is for the line that goes from the resv and feeds the pump with fluid. Im working on a p/s resv that fits in the stock location or maybe somewhere else for Mr. aboothman that has AN fittings on it to attach the return line from the pump and attach the feed line that feeds the pump.

Name:  powersteering-8fitting.jpg
Views: 3017
Size:  21.8 KB
Name:  powersteeringassmebly.jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  23.2 KB

Last edited by kmurphy; 09-26-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Have any of you replaced your power steering hoses?