Had a gun pointed at my face yesterday....ready to be done with "The South"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Car Info: Toyota pickup, Tuono, '62 Mini
Originally Posted by subysteez
I get that. But in the OP, it was stated that he could not merge right safely. All of the sudden somebody comes into the thread asserting that he purposefully didn't change lanes, then brake checked, to escalate the situation. I'm sorry, but in my book, that's a dickish thing to assume since he wasn't there.
At best, those comments provide a red herring which by definition serves no purpose than to distract from the issue at hand; people who use weapons to intimidate/assault other drivers. I don't care what you do. Violence or the threat thereof is never an appropriate response vehicular idiocy.
You're right. We need to be especially careful with how we use weapons. Sadly, you instinctively assume here that the gun is the only weapon in play. So how many people in the US were killed last year due to bad driving vs. those killed by firearms? More people died in car accidents. Exclude suicides and gang-related shootings and the numbers are even further apart. "Weapons" does not equal "guns". Weapons are anything used to physically harm others. In other words it is the usage that can turn any object into a weapon. You've fallen into the trap that all the focus should be on the gun when in reality a car accident is far more likely to cause harm. In general cars are in essence being used as weapons. In this particular case, it sounds equally likely that either driver could have caused injury to themselves or others due to negligent driving, far more than any shootout.

Regardless of the other driver's behavior, the OP should re-think his role in what happened and what might have happened based upon how he operated his 'weapon'. As other stated earlier, more courteous driving likely would have resulted in him never seeing the other driver's firearm.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan

I get that. But in the OP, it was stated that he could not merge right safely. .
If he couldn't merge over one lane, that means there was a lot of traffic, how could he even be doing 85 one lane over if it was that congested? Besides that being dangerous ibn the first place, Something doesn't add up with that..and all of a sudden when he realized the guy had a gun he was able to get over and out of the lane

If the guy was tailgating, I'd put my turn signal on and slow down without braking and just get over

I drive 500+ miles a week and people lane sitting is my biggest pet peeve so I make sure to not be in the fast lane unless I'm passing

Last edited by slugrx; 10-19-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Something like that happened in my little town up north last week when I was up there. My G/F was at work and saw some people yelling at each other. Then another car pulls up with 4 other dudes and they pull the dude out of his car and beat the crap out of him, sent him to the hospital, in front of his wife and child. Turns out the guy who instigated was mad because the guy that got beat down had tailgated them. That's just stupid. They called the police.

Shortly after, at my exit there were 4 CHP and a sheriff arresting these guys after they left the scene.

CCW is definitely worth having, but it isn't going to stop other people from being stupid. Glad you are OK.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-20-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Car Info: Fast
Lately I have been curious as to when the "fast lane" became the "right to speed" lane. IMO if you want to speed go for it. If I am going slower than you, and I am occupying the fast lane, I will move when it is safe and reasonable to do so.

But if you roll up on my bumper and expect me to swerve hazardously between slower cars in the right lane,just to get out of your way, **** you. I am generally going 10 over anyway, so I am in no way obligated to get out of your way the second you roll up because you want to go faster than the posted speed limit. It is worth noting that the DMV recommends slowing down to encourage tailgaters to go around...in instances where it is not safe or reasonable to avoid them.

Its pretty simple. If you want people to move, give them a moment to realize that you are there, and a couple more moments to complete their pass or whatever and move over. Believe me I do a lot of highway and rural road driving, and I am familiar with *******s that juist DO NOT PULL OVER. But riding their *** never solves anything, and when you live in a small area that **** comes back to haunt you.

If you roll up on my bumper, and dont give me a chance to move, I AM the guy that will brake check you. I also have a CCW to protect myself against *******s that think they own the road and intimidate others with their selfish and dangerous driving style.

Last edited by aboothman; 10-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by slugrx
If he couldn't merge over one lane, that means there was a lot of traffic, how could he even be doing 85 one lane over if it was that congested?
Go drive NB on 101 through Palo Alto anytime between 4 and 6. Right lanes are stopped while people try to get to 84, left lanes keep right on moving.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Joe250
You admit to blocking faster traffic in the left lane. You then brake checked him...
1. Slower Traffic Keep Right.
2. Don't antagonize other drivers.
3. Don't let other driver's trigger an emotional response from you.
4. Don't avoid blame for your own actions.
5. Slower Traffic Keep Right.
A brake light != brake check. A brake involves slowing down the car. I kept one foot on the accelerator and one just barely touched the brake peddle to turn the brake light on. I feared slowing the car would result in an accident, he was that close.
1. Slower traffic was right.....a long line of slow traffic. Eventually in front of me there was no traffic to the right. There was no break in the traffic to the right to just merge.
2. I can't control his level of antagonization. I don't control other's emotions.
3. No emotional response....until a GUN was pulled on me!
4. I did nothing other than be on the road.
5. See above.
... I do not condone brake checking...
No brake checking. See above.

Originally Posted by Joe250
1. The OP admitted to speeding,
2. blocking faster traffic in the passing lane,
3. brake checking,
4. then driving even faster than 85,
5. then exiting (and I'm going to guess he jumped over 2+ lanes very quickly to do so).
Funny how he said he just couldn't move over due to traffic when the driver behind him wanted to pass but he certainly could move over when he thought he was going to get shot. He comes here for sympathy and some people on here coddle him just because he drives a Subaru and is an i-club member? I think if you look more critically at what he did you will see that he did several things that were not only unsafe and annoy all of us everyday on the roads, he escalated a situation when he should not have.
1. Yes.
2. Not really. I was in the fast lane, there is a lane of traffic to my right, eventually that line of traffic ends because there is a slow person at the head of it. When I reach that slow person, I then change to the right and anyone that wants to go faster may. It may take 20-30 seconds to pass the line of traffic. Deal with it.
3. I didn't brake check. If that "escalated" it...then there are larger issues at play.
4. Yes....when I saw a gun being pulled from the center console.
5. Yes....after I cleared the line of traffic....there was no other traffic in either of those two lanes for at least 200 meters behind me. Once I got past the clog of traffic it was clear sailing.
6. You are an idiot.

Maybe it's just me but no matter how fast I am going I always get over to let people pass. ..

Let them speed ahead and get the ticket haha
I do too, as soon as it is safe for me to merge back over. I don't try and act as the lane police and dislike it when others do it.

Originally Posted by brucelee
but you shouldn't have brake checked the other driver.
Didn't brake check.

Originally Posted by Krinkov
but if you can afford to move out you should. I mean whats your life worth?
My wife has to finish residency as a physician....then we are out. The day she is done. :P

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
If you had just moved over by slowing down...
somehow offended your manhood or sense of entitlement you sped up endangering more people and then brake checked him to make your point.
I was almost past the clog of traffic, if I had slowed down it would have taken much longer for the BG to get past me. Once I was past, I fully planned on moving over....as I do everytime. I did not brake check.

If he couldn't merge over one lane, that means there was a lot of traffic, how could he even be doing 85 one lane over if it was that congested? Besides that being dangerous ibn the first place, Something doesn't add up with that..and all of a sudden when he realized the guy had a gun he was able to get over and out of the lane

I couldn't merge one lane over because the drivers here tailgate....I was doing 85 one lane over because....it didn't have any traffic in it. For the longest time there wasn't anyone behind me. I was 85% past the clog of traffic when the BG decided to start tailgating me. Traffic to the right was doing approximately 65. I was able to get over because I hauled *** to get in front of the clog of traffic when I saw him digging in the center console for the gun.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Overbutthurtbear
Go drive NB on 101 through Palo Alto anytime between 4 and 6. Right lanes are stopped while people try to get to 84, left lanes keep right on moving.
Exactly. But the lanes to the right weren't stopped, just moving at normal speed but stacked up fairly tight.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 PM

Urban Dictionary: brake check

When I said that I VERY gently applied brakes to get the light to come on, that is not a euphemism. Brake application was incredibly gentle, kept the car going same speed.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Overbutthurtbear

That's right where I drive, the right lane is stopped cuz it's an exit lane, and no one is doing 85 through there. ..I've been driving that stretch for 3 years with no issues surprisingly (knocks on wood)
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by EpsilonK
Urban Dictionary: brake check

When I said that I VERY gently applied brakes to get the light to come on, that is not a euphemism. Brake application was incredibly gentle, kept the car going same speed.
Makes sense. Look, this sucks and there is no reason for this person's actions - I think most of the posters here can agree on that. No one was THERE except you so no one really knows. Thing is, people have passionate responses because we all drive the roads, and see stuff escalate when it doesn't need to - and everyone reacts differently. Most people, solo in a car, coming home from work, not having a great time, super ignorant and self-absorbed, well - the reaction is not positive.

All it takes is the kind of person who, when all riled up about another issue where they feel powerless and vulnerable, and they are in a hurry, is to see someone directly in front of them shrug their shoulders (which can mean "so what" as a response to their BS gestures) and then the searing red of brake lights (which can mean "eff you even more" to this sort of ignorantly reactive hate-charged mind) and they seem to have a reason to assault you.

How many times have we read posts on this site specifically detailing the things someone "would do" if they felt insulted whilst driving. Things like throwing stuff at the offending driver's car in an effort to cause damage, trying with purposed effort to cause a collision, etc.

It's not logical, just like brake checking someone that you perceive is a little too close to your back bumper. In this case, you should behave like a LEO and do not react or do ANYTHING until something actually happens - as dumb as that may sound to those that feel that they are in control of life.

Additionally, as correct and true as your description of events may have been to the officer, they most likely perceived that as something that you started. I am not saying you did anything wrong - but think about that for a sec. Especially the bit about the fellow gassing up previously and such - that explains to them that you have been paying attention to this guy. I notice EVERYTHING around me and remember license plate numbers when I see them once, but the last thing I would do is relay that information to a LEO because most of them cannot understand that someone can do that or process that sort of information, and immediately categorize you as a criminal that has been specifically watching that person for reasons of ill intent.

I hope this came across the right way.

Lastly, anyone that brake-checks anyone for any reason should have their driving privileges revoked. Anyone that thinks they have the right to decide to cause a collision based on their perception of events in a split second needs to not be allowed to participate anymore. What the **** is wrong with people??

Last edited by wombatsauce; 10-21-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:52 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by aboothman
If you roll up on my bumper, and dont give me a chance to move, I AM the guy that will brake check you. I also have a CCW to protect myself against *******s that think they own the road and intimidate others with their selfish and dangerous driving style.
Regardless of CCW, if you break check and are then involved in an incident, you have now contributed to that incident. Your CCW no longer covers your actions if you acted in a manner that contributed to that incident. I agree that there are a lot of morons out there who are overly aggressive drivers, but they're also typically easy to spot and avoid 99% of the time.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Makes sense. Look, this sucks and there is no reason for this person's actions - I think most of the posters here can agree on that. No one was THERE except you so no one really knows. Thing is, people have passionate responses because we all drive the roads, and see stuff escalate when it doesn't need to - and everyone reacts differently. Most people, solo in a car, coming home from work, not having a great time, super ignorant and self-absorbed, well - the reaction is not positive.

All it takes is the kind of person who, when all riled up about another issue where they feel powerless and vulnerable, and they are in a hurry, is to see someone directly in front of them shrug their shoulders (which can mean "so what" as a response to their BS gestures) and then the searing red of brake lights (which can mean "eff you even more" to this sort of ignorantly reactive hate-charged mind) and they seem to have a reason to assault you.

How many times have we read posts on this site specifically detailing the things someone "would do" if they felt insulted whilst driving. Things like throwing stuff at the offending driver's car in an effort to cause damage, trying with purposed effort to cause a collision, etc.

It's not logical, just like brake checking someone that you perceive is a little too close to your back bumper. In this case, you should behave like a LEO and do not react or do ANYTHING until something actually happens - as dumb as that may sound to those that feel that they are in control of life.

Additionally, as correct and true as your description of events may have been to the officer, they most likely perceived that as something that you started. I am not saying you did anything wrong - but think about that for a sec. Especially the bit about the fellow gassing up previously and such - that explains to them that you have been paying attention to this guy. I notice EVERYTHING around me and remember license plate numbers when I see them once, but the last thing I would do is relay that information to a LEO because most of them cannot understand that someone can do that or process that sort of information, and immediately categorize you as a criminal that has been specifically watching that person for reasons of ill intent.

I hope this came across the right way.

Lastly, anyone that brake-checks anyone for any reason should have their driving privileges revoked. Anyone that thinks they have the right to decide to cause a collision based on their perception of events in a split second needs to not be allowed to participate anymore. What the **** is wrong with people??
I totally get where you are coming from and I can understand that perspective. My military background makes me notice and file everything away I guess.

And I know that you didn't say this, but to reiterate...No brake checking occurred.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Lets top this off with something positive, here are a couple of Subies (My WRX, her Crosstrek)

Old 10-22-2014, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
This pretty much sums it up. People in cars are beyond stupid. Let me kill you beacause you slowed me down/ got in my way for 2 seconds.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

CK is so damn funny. Truth.

Quick Reply: Had a gun pointed at my face yesterday....ready to be done with "The South"